Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
ADE vs Google Play: "Adept document too short"

Hello folks!
I'm currently stuck with an issue with Google Play Books, after I bought an ebook via some promotional credit.

In brief: when I try to download the .acsm in ADE, I get the error pop-up: "Adept document too short". I tried downloading a few other ebooks from Google play available for free: the epub without DRM open just fine, the .acsm generated from ebooks with DRM protection all have the same issue.

Opening all the ebooks via the Playbooks app seems to work.

All other .acsm downloaded from other stores work perfectly.

I've tried the ADE verions 2.0.1, 3.0, 4.5, I've tried using other devices and laptops to download the files, I've tried de- and re-authorizing ADE.

The only thing I can think of is that, when comparing the .acsm I get from Play books with the .acsm I get from everywhere else, they are different sizes: 1KB vs 2KB. This could be connected with the "too short issue".

Google assistance asked me if I had contacted Kobo about the issue ( ), then told me I would receive an email from their technical team in 24 horus... which are way past now. ADE assistance is very difficult to get an hold of in my country, but I have the feeling they'll tell me it's a Google issue, after all, only the .acsm from them can't be opened.

Has anyone some useful insight in this?
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Save the .acsm and see what up with it. Maybe it's corrupt.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Save the .acsm and see what up with it. Maybe it's corrupt.
I'm not sure what you mean by save: my procedure is to select "Download ebub" on Google play and then open the file from the Download folder on my laptop. Can you be more specific, please?
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There is often trouble with Google Play .acsm files. The error messages can be different, but it's almost certainly a Google Play issue. You have two options:
1) return the book and buy elsewhere
2) wait. After a few weeks or a couple of months try to download the book again. Usually the issue has automagically vanished.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There is often trouble with Google Play .acsm files. The error messages can be different, but it's almost certainly a Google Play issue. You have two options:
1) return the book and buy elsewhere
2) wait. After a few weeks or a couple of months try to download the book again. Usually the issue has automagically vanished.
Yup. Google Play issue, but they'll never, ever admit it. And you can lose a boatload of time jumping through the various hoops they suggest as they deny, deny, deny.

Unfortunately, if you return the book you lose your promotional credit. But depending on how much cash I'd invested on top of the credit, that would probably be my choice, since there are no guarantees on option two.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
acsm, ade, adobe digital edition, play books, problem