Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #166
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I think what I liked about Conflict of Honors and Balance of Trade was that they both really gave a good idea about what a trading ship actually did. I wanted to be a trader after reading those stories.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #167
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Note to those who might wish to be prepared. Trade Secret has been submitted to Baen, so the eArc can't be too far away. I'm re-reading Balance of Trade to get ready
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #168
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The hardcover is due out on Nov. 15th. I've got it on order.

I'm listening to the Theo Waitley series now. I haven't read the last two books yet; saving them for vacation.

Like Christmas presents waiting under the tree....LOL!

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #169
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The hardcover is due out on Nov. 15th. I've got it on order.

I'm listening to the Theo Waitley series now. I haven't read the last two books yet; saving them for vacation.

Like Christmas presents waiting under the tree....LOL!
No way I'll be able to wait for the hardcover. For this book I'm definitely going to jump on the eARC just as soon as they make it available. Then I'll probably buy the Audible version in November.

I do like the idea of having a couple"under the tree" though. Or I would if I could be patient enough.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #170
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I try to do that with favorite authors. Then I re-read the previous book before I read the new ones, and I have a reading orgy.
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #171
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hey, folks. A Liaden Universe Constellation is out and available for purchase directly from Baen. (You'll have to wait until July 2 for it to show on Amazon as a paperback.)

This is a collection of 33 shorter works from the Adventures in the Liaden Universe series of chapbooks. Some of these are simply mid-sized short stories, but a few are really novellas. All have been available before, one way or another, but now are pulled together into the first of two (or more) collections. With a spiffy new cover.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-17-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #172
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
For the Kindle ebooks edition on Amazon. $8.99

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hey, folks. A Liaden Universe Constellation is out and available for purchase directly from Baen. (You'll have to wait until July 2 for it to show on Amazon as a paperback.)

This is a collection of 33 shorter works from the Adventures in the Liaden Universe series of chapbooks. Some of these are simply mid-sized short stories, but a few are really novellas. All have been available before, one way or another, but now are pulled together into the first of two (or more) collections. With a spiffy new cover.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #173
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, the Kindle version is showing on Amazon already. The way that Baen does their distribution, eBooks are available on or about the 15th of the month before the dead tree version is available. And I pretty much always buy direct from Baen, since the price is the same and more goes directly to Baen and the author. Of course, I usually buy as part of a Baen Monthly Bundle. Which cut my price down to ~$6 a book, since there were two other books in the July bundle I'd probably have bought.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #174
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
So for everyone who has read these books, is Xanthe's order the best, or should I go with the traditional reading order?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #175
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hard question. I think I'm of the opinion that a new reader to the Liaden Universe books should probably read in publishing order, at least at the beginning of their discovery. This would mean starting with Agent of Change. Which, by the way, is available free from the Baen Free Library.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #176
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I wouldn't read Crystal Soldier /Dragon until after the Agent Of Change arc. Even though they are the true beginning stories of Clan Korval, I think that they make more sense and can be better appreciated later on.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #177
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I wouldn't read Crystal Soldier /Dragon until after the Agent Of Change arc. Even though they are the true beginning stories of Clan Korval, I think that they make more sense and can be better appreciated later on.
Yes indeed. There are so many ah-ha moments in those two books after reading the whole Agent of Change cycle.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #178
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Yup, I'd think that you'd miss that enjoyment by reading those books first, and probably wouldn't realize that some of what you're reading can be better understood by having the context of the later books.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #179
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I think we all probably agree. While I like reading the Crystal books first on a re-read, I'm really glad I didn't start with them for my first time through.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #180
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Reading order question : which one first, Necessity's Child or Dragon Ship?