Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
rhoyt
rhoyt began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Smile Using external html table generator

I am a noobie so actually writing html for a large table in Sigil would be an exercise in frustration for my textbook>>EPUB. Sigil is great but I see no way to copy the code from an external table generator into the appropriate location using Sigil. It only cuts and pastes content already inside (not external stuff).I did convert a table to a .png but it doesn't look very good. Any other thoughts would be appreciated....Bob
rhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyt View Post
I am a noobie so actually writing html for a large table in Sigil would be an exercise in frustration for my textbook>>EPUB. Sigil is great but I see no way to copy the code from an external table generator into the appropriate location using Sigil. It only cuts and pastes content already inside (not external stuff).I did convert a table to a .png but it doesn't look very good. Any other thoughts would be appreciated....Bob
If you do your BOTH cut (in your Table Generator) and paste in code view the code comes across properly. (in addition you may need to move-copy the CSS portion)

Doesn't the 'Table generator' Export/save a HTML file? Do that, the use 'Add Existing' to get it into Sigil.
If you are doing this as a Linear creation Process:

Code:
write
insert table
write
insert nother table
You can simply use Sigil's option to 'Merge' the two and continue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyt View Post
I am a noobie so actually writing html for a large table in Sigil would be an exercise in frustration for my textbook>>EPUB.
There are lots of websites that'll automatically generate custom table HTML code for you that you can paste into HTML documents in Code View mode. I like Quackit's HTML Table Generator, but there are many other sites that offer the same functionality.

It's also relatively easy to convert existing tab delimited data or CSV files to an HTML table with TextFixer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
HOWEVER, tables have numerous problems. The main one is that the user can blow the thing up to where the information goes everywhere by increasing text size. For that reason a number of people will just use images which can be made to track with page size.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-27-2013 at 08:02 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
rhoyt
rhoyt began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks to everyone for their help. After some expermentation I copied the code from the table generator into a Word document and saved it as a web page. I imported that into Sigil and then I could cut and paste and it worked very well.....Bob
rhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't get it. Why can't you just paste the html into Code View in Sigil? Getting Word involved seems like overkill.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That would work DiapDealer. However, some people want to take the difficult route and add a lot of excessive code...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sigil, tables