Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
mdamsma
mdamsma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
how to adjust text from ebook

I've have a book downloaded and put it on my glo, via Calibre,
While reading i see that there a some lines not correct.
for example
She had left it on but had cleared the screen before leavingchifore le the office.
This has to be before leaving the office.
How can i adjust this in Calibre
Thanx
M Damsma
mdamsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamsma View Post
for example
She had left it on but had cleared the screen before leavingchifore le the office.
Thanx
M Damsma
You might want to do a search for Sigil. It is an epub editor which will allow you to modify the text. I do not believe that Calibre has that capability. I use Sigil very often to clean up text, tables of contents, layout, etc.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to do a search for Sigil. It is an epub editor which will allow you to modify the text. I do not believe that Calibre has that capability. I use Sigil very often to clean up text, tables of contents, layout, etc.

Regards,
David
I have used search and replace in Calibre for minor correction to text.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118570
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I have used search and replace in Calibre for minor correction to text.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118570
While it is useful for removing repeated garbage, I'd suspect he is not going to get much use out of the regular expression search and replace in Calibre when replacing random text unless he is a regex wizard.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-17-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While it is useful for removing repeated garbage, I'd suspect he is not going to get much use out of the regular expression search and replace in Calibre when replacing random text unless he is a regex wizard.

Regards,
David
His specific problem appears to be a simple text search and replace.

Bring up search and replace, choose wizard, select bad text, copy in regex box, select test, Calibre returns number of instances and highlights them , if ok hit ok and add replacement text. Convert book. Previous copy is retained along with new.

True this does not correct the HTML source file, but for most simple tasks does the job.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Calibre's own Tweak Book feature can also be used for both epub and azw3 books. Just highlight the book in the calibre library window and press T. Then
  • Explode the epub
  • Open the relevant html file(s) in your simple text editor of choice (Notepad++ is very good for Windows users as you can easily search/replace across all open files). Find and correct the typo(s) and save.
  • (optional) Preview the epub to see your changes in the calibre Viewer.
  • Rebuild the epub. All done.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
geormes
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Calibre's own Tweak Book feature can also be used for both epub and azw3 books. Just highlight the book in the calibre library window and press T. Then
  • Explode the epub
  • Open the relevant html file(s) in your simple text editor of choice (Notepad++ is very good for Windows users as you can easily search/replace across all open files). Find and correct the typo(s) and save.
  • (optional) Preview the epub to see your changes in the calibre Viewer.
  • Rebuild the epub. All done.
I am new to Tweak Book so please correct me if I am in error.

In repairing a simple text error using Tweak Book you would have to repair each chapter because each is a html file. Using convert then the search and replace the entire book can be done.

Tweak Book looks like something I can use when I have to change the CSS.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I am new to Tweak Book so please correct me if I am in error.

In repairing a simple text error using Tweak Book you would have to repair each chapter because each is a html file. Using convert then the search and replace the entire book can be done.

Tweak Book looks like something I can use when I have to change the CSS.
Yes you would need to repair each html file - which is easy enough if you use a text editor which can do search/replace across multiple files in one hit.

With Tweak Book, no conversion is done, just your manual edits to html (or css or toc.ncx or opf files) - whichever files need to be tweaked.

Conversions sometimes make changes (to book structure and styles) which you may prefer to avoid. If this is the case then Tweak Book is a good 'non-destructive' way of doing simple changes.

Sigil is also very good, but it has a learning curve like all powerful software.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-17-2013 at 03:17 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
mdamsma

Smile how to adjust text from ebook

Thanx for the answers,
I used sigil, selected the ebook,
opened the html file selected the code view,
because it's selects the the typós its easy to find and correct.
then save under a new name to find in my folders and replace in calibre
problem solved
Thanx
M Damsma
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Get the Open With plug-in for calibre. It can open the epub in place with Sigil. Then you don't need to copy it back.

Also, if you want to replace a book in calibre, select the book and then drag and drop the new copy on the details pain. This will replace that format in the library
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
for example
Thanx
M Damsma
If this occurs throughout the book, I would contaact the seller for a refund. I have done this with books from Kobo and received a credit for the book (and as a bonus, the book has not been removed from my library).
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Get the Open With plug-in for calibre. It can open the epub in place with Sigil. Then you don't need to copy it back.

Also, if you want to replace a book in calibre, select the book and then drag and drop the new copy on the details pain. This will replace that format in the library

Thankyou for that Would give you some karma but I have to spread some around before giving you some more . .
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
mdamsma

Davidfor,
Thanx, i've got the Open With plug in, so that works fine for english books,
But becuase i live in the netherlands i also read dutch books....
The'" abc"control regonize all words as typo's is there a solution?

Thanx
Menno
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Davidfor,
Thanx, i've got the Open With plug in, so that works fine for english books,
But becuase i live in the netherlands i also read dutch books....
The'" abc"control regonize all words as typo's is there a solution?

Thanx
Menno
I'd suggest adding a dutch spellcheck dictionary to Sigil and setting it as the default. You can find the language and spellcheck settings under Edit/Preferences. I've attached the Dutch/Netherlands package from the OpenOffice site to this message. You will need to open the package with 7Zip or equivalent and copy several files into the hunspell-dictionary directory under the Sigil program directory (nl_NL.dic, nl_NL.aff and hyph_nl_NL.dic should be the only files you need). After doing this, the spellcheck dictionary drop down list should show nl_NL.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip nl-dict-v2.00g.zip (679.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
mdamsma

DNSB,
Thanx, i did it so you said .

Perfect
Thanx
Menno