Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question Exporting Notes: Does ANY app allow it?

I have downloaded several reader apps for my iPad and I have yet to figure out how to export annotation/highlights/bookmarks. Does anyone know of any apps that allow this? This is the primary function I need. Second is the ability to read ePubs.

Thanks a million. This is really stumping me and I can't seem to find any info anywhere on this that is useful.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I think it's time to sell this device (I got it free). I cannot seem to find an app that export annotations nor can I even find a free app that does rich text formatted documents that easily transfer to PC (in lieu of missing the ability to export annotations). The fact is, like every other Apple product, they are just money pits. You have to pay to breath when you use them... 99¢ a breath...

Hopefully someone can show me how this device can be practical for eBook studies (meaning exportable annotations or something comparable while offline).

So sad.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
iAnnotate and possibly GoodReader. Just for PDFs though.

Last edited by owl123; 01-24-2011 at 01:14 PM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
iAnnotate and possibly GoodReader. Just for PDFs though.
Yeah... I was hoping for ePubs. I just don't understand why this isn't standard. But, I am not surprised.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Both Stanza and iBooks can export notes via e-mail. Stanza will share notes (one at a time) by facebook, twitter or e-mail. iBooks is a little more usefull, it'll send all notes in a book at once but only by email.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Both Stanza and iBooks can export notes via e-mail. Stanza will share notes (one at a time) by facebook, twitter or e-mail. iBooks is a little more usefull, it'll send all notes in a book at once but only by email.
Hmm. I will have to try this when I get home. If iBooks can do ALL annotations (general notes, highlights and etc) in an email, then that would be sufficiently convenient after all. I believe Calibre works with iBooks too, so I can still manage my books there which would be swell. Thanks for the hint.

I piece of me still wants to sell this device. *grin*
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ibooks will only email notes, not highlights. One work around would be to copy the highlight and paste it into a note. I've done that with general notes anyway, to give me a reference. Not the best or easiest system, but it works.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
ibooks will only email notes, not highlights. One work around would be to copy the highlight and paste it into a note. I've done that with general notes anyway, to give me a reference. Not the best or easiest system, but it works.
You made me sigh. lol. Oh boy.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

You didn't think it would be easy, did you?

(slouches over, pulls pants waistband up, and assumes best "Grandpa" voice) Why, back in MY day, we didn't have any of this here e-mail, fancy-dancy iOS stuff. If you wanted to e-read, it was PalmOs and you liked it! Annotations were hand written! On a piece of PAPER! (wanders off muttering and drooling)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
You didn't think it would be easy, did you?

(slouches over, pulls pants waistband up, and assumes best "Grandpa" voice) Why, back in MY day, we didn't have any of this here e-mail, fancy-dancy iOS stuff. If you wanted to e-read, it was PalmOs and you liked it! Annotations were hand written! On a piece of PAPER! (wanders off muttering and drooling)
That's the thing. It should be. I am a software developer and i have determined that the iPad is just a money pit with no practical use. I just tried the email feature and without the highlights, it's pretty much useless. I am pretty well determined to sell this iPad now and get two PRS-650's and sell our PRS-600. On that device, i have no such problems.too bad it's so pricey and doesn't even have wireless. I have been really happy with our PRS-600 though.

Thanks folks. I have to admit that I am flabbergasted. I can't believe none of the applications can export data. I would write one myself, but Apple puts up way too many road blocks for developers.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I second your exasperation. Having accidentally deleted a book that I was in the process of reading/marking-up, I have been able to recover the book, but not the many, many notes and highlights. This should be high on any developer's list of "must-have-but-is-missing" features. And Kobo's apparent lack of a search feature? What are the people thinking? Is the software being written by people who have never read a book? Is that possible?
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
I second your exasperation. Having accidentally deleted a book that I was in the process of reading/marking-up, I have been able to recover the book, but not the many, many notes and highlights. This should be high on any developer's list of "must-have-but-is-missing" features. And Kobo's apparent lack of a search feature? What are the people thinking? Is the software being written by people who have never read a book? Is that possible?
I wish I could say. :/ I mean, my friend and I both won iPads at work and the first thing was wanted to do was start developing our own applications (for pleasure, not profit). Apple charges a $100 annual fee just to do ANY development. We never intended to sell anything though, so to spend money just to write personal applications (or freeware applications) is just ludicrous. We have to risk bricking our iPads through jailbreaking just to develop anything. That... and the several other obstacles are the reasons you will not see any open source dev on the iPads any time soon. There is just no benefit to it. A lot of these "must-have" features will probably never come to fruition. :/ It's shame really. Honestly though, this is Apple. I expected it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Perhaps the software's being written by people who only read books?? Not everyone needs/wants to annotate, bookmark, highlight, search or even use a dictionary with their their ebooks - I don't - even if you see these as core requirements of a reader application. Which isn't to say that the developers are right not to accommodate these features, but perhaps they want to concentrate on making a good reading app to start with?

You don't say which reading app you're using, but perhaps you could petition the developers to add the features you need?

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

I have 4 e-readers on my ipod: Stanza, Kobo, Bluefire and iBooks.

Bluefire doesn't seem to be able to export notes or highlighting, but this app is fairly new and they seem to have a strong presence on this forum. Perhaps you could put in a wishlist request.

Stanza (lexcycle) was bought by Amazon - I don't expect any more updates.

Exporting notes in iBooks is new(?) for the latest update (not 100% sure on this, but don't recall seeing it before). Moving in the right direction, at least.

Kobo so far is the least useful IMO. No search, notes only export to Facebook. Latest update freezes every third or forth page turn unless set to scroll mode.

Perhaps Calibre can help.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Perhaps the software's being written by people who only read books?? Not everyone needs/wants to annotate, bookmark, highlight, search or even use a dictionary with their their ebooks - I don't - even if you see these as core requirements of a reader application. Which isn't to say that the developers are right not to accommodate these features, but perhaps they want to concentrate on making a good reading app to start with?
I decided to trim my response in order to avoid opening a can of worms. I will just leave it at this: If I only designed products based on what I was personally concerned with, I would limit potential profit and user satisfaction. When one takes on the task of developing a new product, they have two choices: 1) build a new product with new features that pulls users from other existing platforms because this new product is better, or 2) build a similar (or same) product and employ intense marketing to make sure people use your product rather than theirs (aka. Apple tech).

Part of development is understanding your user base. The features you mentioned are not hard to implement. Leaving them out is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
You don't say which reading app you're using, but perhaps you could petition the developers to add the features you need?
The features I desire have been brought up over and over with most of the major reader and application designers. God only know why they keep designing Frankenstein'ed devices/application with only some of features people really want. I understand costs involved, but there is so much potential to "own" the market if a designer just designs a product with all the major features people expect and want. *Le sigh*

Tags
annotations, export, highlight, ipad, notes