Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Questions re Screenshot:

If the screenshot was enabled and i put to sleep the device using nickelmenu option to PUT IT TO SLEEP, the i cannot use the power button to wake the device again? What will happen then? how do i wake the device again?

and does the screenshot toggle on/off requires a reboot or is it instantenous?
I can think of three ways to wake your device.
  1. You would use a sleep cover or a magnet (assumes you have the sleep cover enabled) to wake your device.
  2. You could plug your device into a USB port which will wake it up.
  3. Simply to hold the power button until your device is forced off and then use the power button to wake it up.

Since the toggle does not require a reboot, generally, I enable screenshots, take the screenshot and then disable screenshots.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Since the toggle does not require a reboot, generally, I enable screenshots, take the screenshot and then disable screenshots.

Thank you this answered it for me.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
My settings are below and should work on any model Kobo.

Dark Mode toggles inverting book and article text to white on black but does not invert images or the user interface.

Invert & Reboot toggles inverting everything, including images, to white on black.

Screenshots toggles whether a press of the power switch saves a screenshot in the root directory or puts the Kobo to sleep; a confirmation message appears to tell you whether you've just turned screenshots on or off.

Translate looks up the highlighted phrase in Google Translate.

Code:
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
menu_item :main      :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :main      :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
    chain_success                     :power          :reboot
menu_item :main      :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
menu_item :reader    :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader    :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :selection :Translate       :nickel_browser :modal:https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text={1|S|%}&op=translate
menu_item :library   :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :library   :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :library   :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suggest adding in the following lines.
Code:
menu_item : main : USB : nickel_misc : force_usb_connection
menu_item : library : USB : nickel_misc : force_usb_connection
This will allow you to connect a second time to the computer to update the metadata after import so you don't have to unplug and replug the USB cable a second time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
According to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ake+screenshot

if your device goes to sleep with screenshot enabled, you should be able to plug it into the USB port on a computer and it will wake up. I don't know if it applies here, but any time I plug or unplug my Forma from the charger, it wakes up. So, that might work, too.
Better solution is to use a sleep cover and you won't need to plug into the computer to wake it up. Just open the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
These are the settings I use on my Kobo Clara HD, showing examples of how to get landscape mode on devices that don't have that built in:

Code:
menu_item :main    :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :main    :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
    chain_success                   :power          :reboot
menu_item :main    :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :main    :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :main    :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :main    :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :main    :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
menu_item :reader  :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader  :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :reader  :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :reader  :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :reader  :My Books        :nickel_open: library: library
menu_item :reader  :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :selection :Translate     :nickel_browser :modal:https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text={1|S|%}&op=translate
menu_item :library :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :library :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :library :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :library :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :library :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :library :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :reader  :Home            :nickel_misc: home
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2023, 10:21 AM   #21
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for creating this thread, I've been interested in NickelMenu but too intimidated to try. This was the start I needed!

Here's a thing I stole off of a Reddit thread:
Code:
menu_item :main :Device Owner :dbg_msg :Firstname Lastname 555-555-1234
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #22
porcupine59
porcupine59 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This thread is super helpful. Thanks for all the good info. One question: How might I add a Dictionary link to the main menu?
porcupine59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #23
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine59 View Post
This thread is super helpful. Thanks for all the good info. One question: How might I add a Dictionary link to the main menu?
Seconded; many thanks to all for the creative and interesting ideas!

From what I can tell, NickelMenu does not currently offer an action to directly open a dictionary search, so the closest I can find is to use nickel_open:store:search. You will then need to change the search target from Kobo Store to Dictionary.

The full line would be something like:
menu_item : main : Search : nickel_open : store : search

Last edited by isarl; 02-03-2023 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Typo: “sites” -> “does”
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #24
porcupine59

Thanks, isarl. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #25
porcupine59

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
From what I can tell, NickelMenu does not currently offer an action to directly open a dictionary search, so the closest I can find is to use nickel_open:store:search. You will then need to change the search target from Kobo Store to Dictionary.

The full line would be something like:
menu_item : main : Search : nickel_open : store : search
This method works, isarl, and it's a decent enough workaround, and thanks for it, but I'm guessing there must be a menu command for going straight to the dictionary, since that Dictionary option appears on menus in other places, as in the reader. But I'm ignorant about where/how NickelMenu really works (and ignorant of the Kobo OS too!), so not sure if it can make use of every possible menu command that exists within the Kobo OS.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #26
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Building off the “Screensaver Status” menu item, here's a new one I didn't see posted anywhere else which I just came up with this morning. Critiques are welcome if I'm going about this in a suboptimal manner. If my whitespace is not what you are used to, I hope you can forgive me.

Code:
menu_item : main    : Screenshot Status  : cmd_output         : 500 : quiet : grep -q '^Screenshots=true$' "/mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf"
      chain_success                      : dbg_toast          : Screenshots are enabled
      chain_failure                      : dbg_toast          : Screenshots are disabled
Old 02-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #27
isarl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine59 View Post
This method works, isarl, and it's a decent enough workaround, and thanks for it, but I'm guessing there must be a menu command for going straight to the dictionary, since that Dictionary option appears on menus in other places, as in the reader. But I'm ignorant about where/how NickelMenu really works (and ignorant of the Kobo OS too!), so not sure if it can make use of every possible menu command that exists within the Kobo OS.
I'm not one of the developers of NickelMenu and like you do not have any special insight into how it is implemented. It's always dangerous to make assumptions like, “This should be relatively easy to implement…” though if you put a gun to my head then I would be forced to divulge that my own expectation lines up with yours: although I don't spot a feature for this anywhere in the docs right now, it seems in line with existing NickelMenu features. You might be able to petition the developer to add this as a new feature in the main thread for NickelMenu. It's a feature I might be tempted to use myself if it does get implemented. Good luck!

(edit: Serial-posting is usually frowned upon so my apologies if I've committed a faux pas here.)
Old 02-06-2023, 02:51 PM   #28
porcupine59

Good point. I'm good at coming up with expectations and advice for things I know all to little about. I'll keep poking around and see if the Dictionary question has come up over at that main thread; if not, I may venture a query.

As for serial-posting, I'm not even sure what that is, so I may have inadvertently joined you in your transgression. I hope we're both in the clear.

Thanks!