Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #31
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
Swapped batteries and the kobo stylus works well again
I'm glad you got things fixed.

I am wondering if anybody has run into a problem that I am having with Advanced notebooks. Now, it is possible this is related to my defective Elipsa which I am trying to get replaced, but when I add text to a journal, I often find certain parts of the page allow text to be written, but then the text disappears when I finish.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #32
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I'm glad you got things fixed.

I am wondering if anybody has run into a problem that I am having with Advanced notebooks. Now, it is possible this is related to my defective Elipsa which I am trying to get replaced, but when I add text to a journal, I often find certain parts of the page allow text to be written, but then the text disappears when I finish.
Thus far, I have not experienced this with either the Advanced or Basic notebook. Further, I just added some handwritten text to an existing page that contained both text and a drawing. Then I added more text a second time. All is normal here (so far).

Edit: Revisited my page in the Advanced notebook. When I tapped to convert my handwriting to text, which was positioned to the far left of the drawing, the conversion took place AND removed my drawing in the process. More testing of notebook functions is on my To Do list!

Question: Do you have some slight play in your stylus nib?

Last edited by Skydog; 07-05-2021 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #33
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Thus far, I have not experienced this with either the Advanced or Basic notebook. Further, I just added some handwritten text to an existing page that contained both text and a drawing. Then I added more text a second time. All is normal here (so far).

Edit: Revisited my page in the Advanced notebook. When I tapped to convert my handwriting to text, which was positioned to the far left of the drawing, the conversion took place AND removed my drawing in the process. More testing of notebook functions is on my To Do list!
So, some weirdness on your end, too. I haven't had drawings disappear like that, but I think there are some glitches in how the notebooks group text elements. Sometimes elements are grouped locally, not contextually. So if you carry over a line across the page under the drawing like wrap around text, any new text written under the text on the right of the drawing will become part of that side, excluding the text on the left side, even though they are in the same sentence. It's glitchy.

As for my nib, it is quite solid.

I have now received authorization to return my Elipsa, so once I ship it back, you folks will have to carry on without me for a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #34
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, some weirdness on your end, too. I haven't had drawings disappear like that, but I think there are some glitches in how the notebooks group text elements. Sometimes elements are grouped locally, not contextually. So if you carry over a line across the page under the drawing like wrap around text, any new text written under the text on the right of the drawing will become part of that side, excluding the text on the left side, even though they are in the same sentence. It's glitchy.
Yes, there appear to be some glitches with creation of text and drawing, unless this was by design. Surely the notebook was put through the beta wringer. I also suspect the boundaries of text elements can be defined by double-tapping to view the area of selection. This seemed to be the case when I converted text whose "block" did not touch the area of the drawing and the drawing remained. Odd, nonetheless.

I'm sorry you have had problems requiring an exchange. It kind of takes the fun out of a new "toy."
Old 07-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #35
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks to a comment by @salamanderjuice, I learned that the *.nebo notebook files came to be because Kobo licensed the tech from the Nebo notebook company. I installed Nebo on my iPad and I’m sorry to say that the *.nebo files are not compatible. I’m not surprised by that since the iPad/Windows version had support for photo inserts and colors. Also, the iPad version has built in iCloud syncing support, not Dropbox syncing, so if you dreamed of editing the same notebook through a shared Dropbox folder between your iPad and your Elipsa, I am here to bring you disappointing news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For what it's worth the Nebo Android app syncs with either google Drive or Dropbox so it might be possible with Android devices (I'd check but as I don't have the Elipsa yet and it's been a coon's age since I used dropbox it'll have to wait).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
Going to try a new battery as the stylus from my surface works a lot better
For a moment I thought you were saying that your Surface pen worked better on the Elipsa
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2021, 03:02 AM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
For what it's worth the Nebo Android app syncs with either google Drive or Dropbox so it might be possible with Android devices (I'd check but as I don't have the Elipsa yet and it's been a coon's age since I used dropbox it'll have to wait).

For a moment I thought you were saying that your Surface pen worked better on the Elipsa

If the iOS nebo app syncs with Dropbox as opposed to just exporting (as the free version does), I'd have to pay for it to find out. 🤷🏻*♂️ When my new Elipsa arrives, I'll consider investing in the app as an experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #37
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Just a quick update. I understand now why Kobo sells replacement nibs for the stylus. Although I did see one case in the forum where a nib snapped, for the most part the nibs simply wear down. After extensive use, I’ve noticed that the tip has been worn away on my nib like a crayon that’s seen heavy use. Eventually, I will need to replace it. I’m glad that the Elipsa comes with an extra nib hidden inside its original stylus box.

Another interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that the nibs leave residue on the screen like graphite. At first I worried that I had actually damaged the screen because they were smudges from my extensive sketching. However, it all washed away with some Windex. Now that I’ve noticed the nib wears down, I know where all that smudging came from.

I believe this is as designed. A harder nib would wear down the screen. This softer nib will give way first. I’d much rather replace a nib than replace my Elipsa.

Last edited by Cootey; 07-17-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
J...

Another interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that the nibs leave residue on the screen like graphite. At first I worried that I had actually damaged the screen because they were smudges from my extensive sketching on the actual substrate. However, it all washed away with some Windex. Now that I’ve noticed the nib wears down, I know where all that smudging came from.
I believe the substrate is under the screen, the light guide layer, and even further down. You can't scratch it by drawing on the screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #39
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Just a quick update. I understand now why Kobo sells replacement nibs for the stylus. Although I did see one case in the forum where a nib snapped, for the most part the nibs simply wear down. After extensive use, I’ve noticed that the tip has been worn away on my nib like a crayon that’s seen heavy use. Eventually, I will need to replace it. I’m glad that the Elipsa comes with an extra nib hidden inside its original stylus box.

Another interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that the nibs leave residue on the screen like graphite. At first I worried that I had actually damaged the screen because they were smudges from my extensive sketching on the actual substrate. However, it all washed away with some Windex. Now that I’ve noticed the nib wears down, I know where all that smudging came from.

I believe this is as designed. A harder nib would wear down the screen. This softer nib will give way first. I’d much rather replace a nib than replace my Elipsa.

I do not yet see evidence of residue from the nib but I probably write less, or perhaps use less pressure. At any rate, I'm glad I included a box of extras with my original order.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #40
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe the substrate is under the screen, the light guide layer, and even further down. You can't scratch it by drawing on the screen.
Careless mistake. I meant to say screen. Fixed. Thanks
Old 07-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #41
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I do not yet see evidence of residue from the nib but I probably write less, or perhaps use less pressure. At any rate, I'm glad I included a box of extras with my original order.
I was drawing in the notebooks. That might have made the difference. However, I haven't noticed it on my newer Elipsa.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #42
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Another interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that the nibs leave residue on the screen like graphite. At first I worried that I had actually damaged the screen because they were smudges from my extensive sketching. However, it all washed away with some Windex. Now that I’ve noticed the nib wears down, I know where all that smudging came from.

People have mentioned using replacement Wacom nibs in the Elipsa stylus. Assuming they work, I'm wondering if the Wacom nibs might be too hard and will scratch the Elipsa's screen.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #43
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
People have mentioned using replacement Wacom nibs in the Elipsa stylus. Assuming they work, I'm wondering if the Wacom nibs might be too hard and will scratch the Elipsa's screen.

That would be my concern, too. It would be my concern for any replacement stylus as well.

Now, I’ve had my replacement Elipsa for a few days, and I have yet to notice any residue left by the nib. Perhaps it was more prominent when the nib was new, but others aren’t noticing any rub off at all. So we’ll have to wait for a few more weeks to see what the common consensus on this is.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #44
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Just noticed that Nate the Great linked to this thread in his Kobo Elipsa review (https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...o-walkthrough/). I'm both thrilled that my reviews were useful and dismayed that more people will be looking at my super sketchy illustrations. LOL

On a different note, I hope that Kobo adds the ability to backup our notebooks as .nebo files to dropbox. I'm not sure why they don't support that already since they export several sharing options. Whereas annotations, including stylus scribbled ones, are backed up and restored through Kobo's servers—meaning that all your meticulous scrawlings are not lost if you have to reset your Elipsa—notebooks are gone forever when you reset. I've taken to backing them up so that I can restore the notebooks if I should run into a problem.

Last edited by Cootey; 07-22-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #45
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
I've taken to backing them up so that I can restore the notebooks if I should run into a problem.
On a related note, has anyone figured a way to run GIT from Kobo?
This would solve all of the possible back-up and synchronisation issues for me.
So far I've seen KoboToolbox, but I don't think it's related to the Kobo eReaders.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote