Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
What the Kobo exports is already the partition so the PC doesn't see a partition table, just the partition itself that has the filesystem on it, and the modified bytes are the first sector of that.
Since the exposed storage does show as a disk and partition to Windows, I had assumed that the first sector was at least the equivalent of the MBR from some of the embedded text and the 55AA signature as the last two bytes.

I suspect I'm going to wait for the internal storage to vanish again before I do any more experimenting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #62
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Ugh, well I just did the anniversary update, and now I'm stuck too. I'm not reformatting until I've finished my current book, I have however sent an e-mail to the French customer support. I'm not getting my hopes up, but if enough people contact them they might realise that it's not just a few clueless users having trouble.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
Ugh, well I just did the anniversary update, and now I'm stuck too. I'm not reformatting until I've finished my current book, I have however sent an e-mail to the French customer support. I'm not getting my hopes up, but if enough people contact them they might realise that it's not just a few clueless users having trouble.
Kobo do know about the problem, and are looking at it. It will be interesting to see what they do. They can probably do something with how they present the partition in new firmware versions, but, will it need to be reformatted. And what do they do for a factory reset? This uses code hidden on another partition to reduce the likelihood of the device being completely bricked. Changing that is dangerous.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:46 AM   #64
vikont
vikont began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I wrote to Kobo customer support, they thanked me and said they've escalated the issue. So signs do point to the fact that they are aware of the problem. However, it's not clear how they plan to fix it. Interestingly, I was only able to update my e-readers to the latest firmware via Kobo Desktop - Wi-Fi never flagged an update. If Wi-Fi update path is broken and USB is non-functional, how can I get their fix?

Incidentally, my old non touch-screen Kobo reader (firmware eReader-1.9.12) still connects after AU, but several Kobo Touch readers I've tried (firmware eReader-3.19.5761) do not.

As a side note, since I'm new here. People seem to allude you need Calibre SW to side load books. Why is that? I've never installed Calibre, but side-load books via USB cable all the time. What am I missing?
vikont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikont View Post
As a side note, since I'm new here. People seem to allude you need Calibre SW to side load books. Why is that? I've never installed Calibre, but side-load books via USB cable all the time. What am I missing?
You don't need it, as you've pointed out.

Many find it useful for various reasons. An easy way to sideload ePub's as kePub's if you want to use the Access renderer or kePub features. An easy way to manage your library, an easy way to more automatically manage collections if you want. Automatically backup the Kobo's database (using a plug-in). There are all kinds of reasons some folks find it useful.

I like getting my metadata (series info, etc) just how I want it and having that then show on my device which I can easily do with Calibre, & I use kePub.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #66
ICDeadPpl
Enthusiast
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The instructions in this post worked for me. Note that you have use the Minitool Partition Wizard Free, because if you use Windows to format you Kobo, it won't work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=46
ICDeadPpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #67
ArnoDelo
ArnoDelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadPpl View Post
The instructions in this post worked for me. Note that you have use the Minitool Partition Wizard Free, because if you use Windows to format you Kobo, it won't work.

I confirm this also worked for me! Thanks!!
ArnoDelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #68
scroogie
scroogie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
a negative planet alignement caused trouble to my KGlo i.e. win10 AU plus a 'going to die' memory. After flashing a working image (thks to you now who), I used MPWF as per enigmedark' post #46. Magic! everything is now fine and in addition I got a 13GB expanded partition!

thanks to all!
scroogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #69
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Question for the technical gurus and at the risk of this being a dumb question ...

Can I pre-fix my Kobos, i.e. if I apply enigmedark's solution to my Kobos *before* the Windows10 Anniversary update arrives at my PC am I likely to avoid getting the problem in the first place. Or do I have to let the Win10 update do its worst to my Kobos before I can fix them?

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-06-2016 at 07:55 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Question for the technical gurus and at the risk of this being a dumb question ...

Can I pre-fix my Kobos, i.e. if I apply enigmedark's solution to my Kobos *before* the Windows10 Anniversary update arrives at my PC am I likely to avoid getting the problem in the first place. Or do I have to let the Win10 update do its worst to my Kobos before I can fix them?
Given that it's not Windows doing the formatting, you should be able to solve the problem ahead of time. So you should be able to do the backup, then formatting, the restore, the update, and be good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #71
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that it's not Windows doing the formatting, you should be able to solve the problem ahead of time. So you should be able to do the backup, then formatting, the restore, the update, and be good to go.
OK, thanks.

I've applied the pre-fix to my old AuraHD (aka the Sacrificial Goat) just to get familiar with the process - no gremlins encountered. I think I'll stop there and leave Windows Update disabled for now. I don't care at all about delaying the Anniversary Update but I'm more concerned about not keeping the Windows Defender anti-virus stuff fully up-to-date.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OK, thanks.

I've applied the pre-fix to my old AuraHD (aka the Sacrificial Goat) just to get familiar with the process - no gremlins encountered. I think I'll stop there and leave Windows Update disabled for now. I don't care at all about delaying the Anniversary Update but I'm more concerned about not keeping the Windows Defender anti-virus stuff fully up-to-date.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x64

That's the link for Windows Defender update for 64-bit.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x64

That's the page I got the link from.

I just did the manual update and it worked with the Update service off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #73
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just did the manual update and it worked with the Update service off.
I didn't realise you could do that! It seems like a good workaround. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #74
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadPpl View Post

It works fine with the standard windows format options, just make sure to select fat32. The Minitool Partition Wizard Free was not able to format my kobo and left 2 GB on the drive after formatting... using the windows format solved the problem.

But anyhow, my kobo glo hd is working now on any windows version and also on the anniversary version. Too bad it takes some time if you have a lot of books and notes on your kobo.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #75
vikont
vikont began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
I didn't realise you could do that! It seems like a good workaround. Thanks.
Or you could put always put some good free AV instead of Windows Defender. I personally use Panda Free AV, and I like it a lot.
vikont is offline   Reply With Quote