Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
How to change recommendation preferences

I keep getting reading recommendations via email from Kobo that don't suit me, and I'm wondering how you change your recommendation preferences. I got an email today with a link to 'change your recommendation preferences' which takes you to Kobo where you log-in. The problem is, I can't find the option to do this on my page. I'm not seeing it. Can anyone tell me where to go? For changing recommendation preferences, that is.
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
When you sign in go the Ebooks front page and you can see a bar near the top that says "Recommendations for you" if you hover over the books that you don't like or have read before and mark them either "Already Read" "Not interested" or "Get a preview".
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit I rarely see that part of the website, and I would love to! I'd like to remove some of the books from my list too
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
dee_can
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
When you sign in go the Ebooks front page and you can see a bar near the top that says "Recommendations for you" if you hover over the books that you don't like or have read before and mark them either "Already Read" "Not interested" or "Get a preview".
Ah, there it is. Thank you. Strangely, the recommendations they make for me in the emails are of a slightly different genre than the ones recommended for me on my page. So, I was hoping to change that. I don't want to unsubscribe because discount codes are sent in the Kobo emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT
I will admit I rarely see that part of the website, and I would love to! I'd like to remove some of the books from my list too
I see where you hover over the books in the list (as The Terminator pointed out) and you can mark it 'not interested'. I guess after awhile they realize what you're interested in - but I wish it was more of a quick fix.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't even see the recommended list...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboShop.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	81832  
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
dee_can
Enthusiast

I see where you are signed in (because I see 'sign out' in the upper right hand corner). So now you would click on 'ebooks' along the blue bar at the top. Then once you are in your ebooks, you will see a row of 'recommended for you' books at the top of the page. Just put your cursor over each book. Put your cursor over the italic 'i' and it will tell you what to do also.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

No such luck for me!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No such luck for me!

Did you ever have the recommendations bar? I just marked all of mine as "Not Interested" and now the bar is gone. Just wondering if you did the same thing?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I believe I had left a few books on it, and in fact both the Touch and Desktop do show entries!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
GoRead
GoRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I have the same issue. I have marked Not interested on the recommendations. They are gone from the ebooks webpage, but they ALL still show on the actual ereader and Kobo desktop. I wouldn't care so much except that these are library Kobos lent out to patrons. The first book recommended to us is "The Big Book of Sex Toys", followed by "The Art of Sensual Massage"! I don't know how we got from "The Help" and "The Hunger Games" to "The Big Book of Sex Toys" (with photos!).
GoRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

One option for you might be to install the Touch Interface plugins from this thread and hide the recommendations.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
dee_can
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRead View Post
The first book recommended to us is "The Big Book of Sex Toys", followed by "The Art of Sensual Massage"! I don't know how we got from "The Help" and "The Hunger Games" to "The Big Book of Sex Toys" (with photos!).
Note to self: avoid Kobo books with the word 'Hunger' and 'Games' in the title.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
The recommendation bar didn't show up for me until a few weeks ago. The e-mail recommendations do seem to be unrelated and infuriatingly wrong.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
After 1.9.16 was installed have you done factory reset and reinstalled 1.9.16 from desktop Kobo application? My original install was the mistaken release that was really obnoxious came up after each time I went to home screen. New version is bearable but almost worthless with such small covers in bottom row I can't read title. Alphabetical book list by title or by author, then selection options; about book, tags, mark as read, delete. This works great on Kobo wifi and should still be used with the touch. Would need pinch zoom to read small covers but would still waste limited battery power.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
One of the most often loaded free epubs from Gutenberg (and other sources as well) is the great original Kamasutra - something like that could easily mislead to recommendations of sex books in a not well designed system...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote