Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #46
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I am fairly sure that the syncing process upgrades the database. I would try it on mine but I would like to keep it like this till I confirm that is the issue.

Tim
I updated library and synced and the result is the same. Interestingly, the library shown on the desktop stayed the same, with only 5 books. However, I'm not sure if this is normal, since this is the first time I've used the desktop.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #47
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post
I've got the new firmware on my reader, and I can no longer hide the 100 preloaded books. I still have the choice of "all books", "my books" or "preloaded books". The third choice just shows the 100 titles, the first two choices show all 130. I have no way of just showing the 30 of my own. Can anyone else confirm this most grievous bug?
Seems it uses the code from the very start of development.
When I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.4 via sd card, have had the
same issue. It took one discharge and charge to automagi-
cally solve it.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #48
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Part of the problem has been that there are so many distros out there. That could make it really hard on customer support (which, as we know, is pretty much overwhelmed as it is). Kobo staff talked about perhaps having more official support for Ubuntu down the road. At this point, it is an idea, not a plan.
I'm aware of the effort they have on the subject. Too much work
to have it all ready at time. I assume it is the wrong move. My opi-
nion is going opposite: I would use system independent method.
Aside cd bootable system with all software included or something
more mundane, like javascript. I cannot envision js steps, but all of
newer browsers, including IE, opera, FF, konqueror, conkeror, do
support js. I'm not js fan, but see it as a common between all those
software.
I know that making linux/live system takes time, but a growing per-
centage of world's population use it on a regular base. Personally, I
never had win/mac installed on any of my nodes and simply cannot
follow the default steps, respecting Kobo.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #49
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

OK, Im at a loss.... I did the upgrade to 1.8.1 and it did go flawlessly.. now my problems start. All calibre books had to be deleted and reloaded, no problem.. I resynced my library through the desktop app that was updated earlier today...

here is the problem.. some of my purchased books through kobobooks.com are locked and i can't find the switch to authorize ADE to my reader.

I can see that I will be doing a factory reset, trloading my library and ensuring everything works from there BEFORE sideloading anything from calibre.

Unless you good people can point me in the right direction... where did I mess up???

Thanks...

OK, I don't know what happened, but after reloading Kobo's all night in my sleep (not a good rest) This morning, I plugged my Kobo into the computer resynced it and everything works.. no more content locked from the Kobo or ADE. Don't ask me what i did, I just put it on charge and went to bed, this morning all is fine

EDinNB

Last edited by EDinNB; 12-15-2010 at 08:43 AM.
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #50
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
You didn't. I have the same problem. De and re-authorized the Kobo in ADE, still won't let me read purchased books. Trying factory reset now...

Edit: And that didn't work either. Fantastic...

Last edited by Canorka; 12-15-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #51
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

I have two kobo'sand have followed the thread and updated thinking everything was going OK ...books then locked followed advice on the threads which I thought was great But ADE came up with too many activations.Having been down this route before adobe should have it fixed by next week. Can't adobe get the drift after a couple of thousand requests by users to re-activate after seemingly no reason why the DRM blows up.Our family has 4 kobo's on the one account and it was working great No thought as to the implications of multiple devices with one family

PS Adobe CS makes the NSW public transport look efficient
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #52
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
I updated library and synced and the result is the same. Interestingly, the library shown on the desktop stayed the same, with only 5 books. However, I'm not sure if this is normal, since this is the first time I've used the desktop.
I talked to the kobo debs. It is as designed so I will update the driver to address the issue. Since I only used the sdcard in beta I did not see the issue.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #53
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Change USB ports. I did and it works now...thanks to Viviena's post in the other firmware release thread.
Glad my post actually helped somebody too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksa View Post
PS Adobe CS makes the NSW public transport look efficient
Surely you jest!
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've updated the original post to reflect solutions to some of the problems people have been experiencing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #55
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I know that making linux/live system takes time, but a growing per-
centage of world's population use it on a regular base. Personally, I
never had win/mac installed on any of my nodes and simply cannot
follow the default steps, respecting Kobo.
Yup. Literally took HOURS!

The new ubuntu desktop release was posted last night. It's at the same location as the old one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb

Again, this one isn't kobo supported, but us beta testers did give it a workout.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #56
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
You didn't. I have the same problem. De and re-authorized the Kobo in ADE, still won't let me read purchased books. Trying factory reset now...

Edit: And that didn't work either. Fantastic...
When you re-authorize in ADE, I'm pretty certain a new encryption key is generated for the device. You simply need to drag-and-drop your books from ADE to the newly authorized kobo so they'll be copied with the new key and then they'll work. That's how I did it during beta testing and never had an issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #57
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
When you re-authorize in ADE, I'm pretty certain a new encryption key is generated for the device. You simply need to drag-and-drop your books from ADE to the newly authorized kobo so they'll be copied with the new key and then they'll work. That's how I did it during beta testing and never had an issue.
I had the same problem with ADE after upgrading to 1.8. ADE recognized my device after the upgrade and would let me add or remove books from the Kobo but the device locked all the content (yes my time and date settings were fine).

I deauthorized and reauthorized it with no success.

I did a factory reset. Authorized the device and then loaded content. For some reason that worked where the deauthorizing and reauthorizing didn't.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #58
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I did a factory reset. Authorized the device and then loaded content. For some reason that worked where the deauthorizing and reauthorizing didn't.
I don't know anything about "de"authorizing. During testing, I simply started ADE while my freshly updated kobo was plugged in and it instantly prompted me to authorize the "new" device. Then I dragged all my ADE books to the kobo device in the corner so they all got updated with the new key and they all worked perfectly, every time.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #59
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
My update went flawlessly and I can read my NY Times subscription quite nicely.
Where's the promised changelog ?
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #60
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just a quick note. All the "extra" file formats taming mentioned are in experimental state only.. not officially supported and won't be officially communicated. You are free to play around with them, may not work perfectly all the time.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote