Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2020, 01:44 AM   #166
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
KoboRoot.tgz should wind up in the .kobo directory. Anywhere else, it's just a waste of space.

When you safely eject your Kobo, it should return to the normal GUI for a few seconds then install the KoboRoot.tgz and then reboot.

Looking at KFMon-v1.3.3.zip file and assuming you have no remnants from a previous install, you should see 2 new directories ( icons and .adds) and two new files (koreader.png and kfmon.png) in the root directories. If you look in the .kobo directory, you should see several directories and files, one of which should be KoboRoot.tgz.

If you are on a Unix style OS (Linux, Mac OSX), you will have to enable displaying hidden files/directories ( they start with a . ).
Yesss!! Many thanks. Indeed, I've completely forgot about hidden stuff, and instead of extracting to destination just copypasted the visible content of extracted locally. Thanks a lot!
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #167
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hey i just followed this on my clara and successfully created a script to "mimic" usb connection to refresh the library on nickel (i did this as i set up an ftp connection from koreader so i can download my books from there).

My question might seem stupid so apologies in advance. I noticed that the png files for koreader and plato are set to either 1% or 99% progress. The png file i created to run my script was set to finished after i ran i the first time.

Is there a way to have this like the other pngs, meaning that it will always be in progress rather than finished

thanks in advance

Last edited by stiivo; 04-15-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: wasnt finished writing my post :D
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #168
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@stiivo: That's because both Plato & KOReader kill nickel, and you obviously don't .

(i.e., nickel doesn't have the opportunity to set the "Finished" flag on KOReader & Plato's icons. In a similar fashion, the 1% vs. 99% thing depends purely on timing).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #169
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for the reply.

So its not possible to do so?
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #170
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can obviously flag one as Finished manually (the long-tap menu and the Details pan won't trigger the action), but that'll only hold until the next time you tap it .

So, no, not really. Not unless you mangle the db yourself outside of Nickel.
Advert
Old 05-01-2020, 03:51 AM   #171
Yonder
Yonder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
When trying to install this on my kobo glo (fw 4.20) I get the following error (after unmounting)

[KFMon] Userstore unavailable, aborting!

Some apps that were running fine on my Kobo Aura One don't launch. Any idea? Can I test if KFMon was properly installed in an easy way?
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #172
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Yonder:

That's a reboot. Which is perfectly normal when installing a KoboRoot (because, guess what: it reboots the device ).

So, going to need actual details of what exactly you think is going wrong .

The default KFMon "book" will print the tail end of the log on screen, and, more interestingly, will dump the full thing to .adds/kfmon/log/kfmon_dump.log. Attach it here, and it should tell us exactly what's happening .
Old 05-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #173
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.4.0!

Besides the usual updates and a few noteworthy bugfixes, this one implements a major new feature: an IPC mechanism, allowing scripts, or even GUI frontends, to list and trigger anything registered in KFMon .

You can play with the CLI tool (kfmon-ipc) that is now shipped with KFMon to see what's available (invalid/malformed commands will prompt a reply explaining what to do).
Old 05-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #174
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
And here's the GUI frontend NiLuJe was hinting at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #175
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.4.1!

Mainly a bunch of tweaks related to the OCP bundles, which were already live in said OCP packages .

Of interest:

* Allow deleting the PNG trigger *without* KFMon dropping the watch. This makes it IPC-only, which might come in handy to get something automagically enumerated in NickelMenu without having to maintain a different set of config for each launcher, now that the KFMon generator is live in NM.

* A stupid bug that would delete a *running* watch if an update to unrelated watch configs was detected.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #176
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.4.2!

Mainly just to tag a release to catch up with what has been shipped with the OCP bundles for a while now .

Of notable interest, besides updating the various third-party libraries:

* Configs are now parsed in alphabetical order. This should ensure consistent behavior across devices, as this affects the order in which stuff is presented in frontends, like the KFMon generator in NickelMenu .
Old 09-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #177
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Just wondering. Why does a firmware update brutally murder nickel?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #178
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Just wondering. Why does a firmware update brutally murder nickel?
Because it can and actually knows what is happening? But, where do you get the impression that it "brutally murders" nickel? It does restart the device, but, I am pretty sure it will have told nickel to save whatever is need to first.

Or are you simply referring to the fact that the firmware updated doesn't prompt before installing and restarting the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #179
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Was that perhaps one of your trademark first-draft-of-a-post typo, @Elektron, and you in fact meant "KFMon", instead of "nickel"?

In which case, I can answer that:

It's by design. There's a small, but non-zero chance that a Nickel update would break KFMon's expectations, and breaking those expectations might mean getting stuck in a boot loop. Which would be bad.

So, the trade-off is a wee bit of extra effort needed after an update, which is, personally, offset by the fact that that effort was already needed for the patches, and my own patching script includes reinstalling KFMon automatically, so, eh, water off a duck's back.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-11-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #180
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
LOL. Yes, I was asking about KFMon and yes, that's one of my trademark first draft posts ;P. Thanks.

Last edited by Elektron; 09-11-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: making the text neater
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher