Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
jr.hkkdo
jr.hkkdo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need to Verify Output File Format for Calibre

Hi all. jr here. I am learning how to use Caliber and I have a question: The FAQ shows both source and output file formats that are supported by Calibre. The output list does not include .azw, but another FAQ indicates that Caliber supports Kindle. Seems contradictory. What am I missing? Thanks
jr.hkkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
All kindles support mobi which is one of calibre's output formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can manage your AZW files "as is" if you want, but these are typically locked to a single device by DRM. A better alternative is to strip the DRM using a 3rd party plugin for Calibre that imports DRM-ridden AZW but instead adds DRM-free MOBI to the Calibre library. That way, you are free to edit metadata and add a new cover etcetera. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more on DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote