Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
Sandra1414
Sandra1414 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle
Calibre portable

Hello,

I noticed there is a calibre portable software. I am.not clear on how to use it. Do I understand this right?
I download the calibre software to my flash drive. I choose a place on my flash drive for the portable folder. I launch the folder on a computer. Then I add my books to it, then enjoy my books. I exit my program. The next time I want to use my library I take my flash driver and run the installer.

Is this right?

Sandra
Sandra1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra1414 View Post

Hello,

I noticed there is a calibre portable software. I am.not clear on how to use it. Do I understand this right?
I download the calibre software to my flash drive. I choose a place on my flash drive for the portable folder. I launch the folder on a computer. Then I add my books to it, then enjoy my books. I exit my program. The next time I want to use my library I take my flash driver and run the installer.

Is this right?

Sandra
NO.

The installer just MAKES the flash drive into a ready-to-use self contained Library. The only time you use the Calibre Portable installer again is to update (it will see the previous one IN THE LOCATION , and only update the app part)

Quote:
To use, just run the portable installer and select the location where you would like the Calibre Portable folder.
To launch calibre, double click the "calibre-portable.exe" program inside the Calibre Portable folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
Sandra1414

Thanks for your reply. Can you take me step by step how to use my portable calibre?
1. I install calibre for my library
2. ?

Thanks,
Sandra
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Can you take me step by step how to use my portable calibre?
1. I install calibre for my library
2. ?

Thanks,
Sandra
It works the same as desktop Calibre.
1) Install
2) add books (if you have a current Calibre Library, Put it alongside Item 'B' (below) or replace the default entirely DO NOT just copy if there are any books in the Portable.

There are a few 'rules' that desktop does not have.

A) The Library (folder) location is Mandatory that it stay where the Installer put it.
B) Additional Libraries must be in the same PARENT folder IF you want Calibre to remember and start with the 'last used' Library. Otherwise, once started, you can switch to ANY valid library, it just won't remember.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Sandra1414

Hi.

I appreciate your help. I am confused. To use the portable calibre I need to have a desktop calibre installed somewhere? What size of flash drive do I need for am library of say 700 plus books? Could I install calibre desktop on an android tablet?

Sandra
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I appreciate your help. I am confused. To use the portable calibre I need to have a desktop calibre installed somewhere? What size of flash drive do I need for am library of say 700 plus books? Could I install calibre desktop on an android tablet?
No, to use Calibre Portable you do not need another Calibre install of any kind.

Assuming your books are average EPUBs (not very picture-heavy, or large PDFs or somesuch) such a library will take about 2GB (Calibre itself will take about 200MB of that). So pretty much any new USB stick will do.

No, Calibre is Windows, Linux and MacOS only. It will not run on Android.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Calibre Portable is self contained.

2G would probably handle 700 non-graphics intensive novel, but 8G flash drives are reasonably priced (Go for a higher performance one)

IIRC Portable runs on Windows natively. For Linux or MAC, you willneed a Windows emulator (Wine or Parallels?)

Tags
calibre, how to, portable