Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #1306
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Thx.

It didn't show on mine, until i turned off parental controls, just now.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #1307
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

new KSO (eInk):
Get 1 of 10 Kindle Romances for $1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000854771

(my comments - http://blog.booksontheknob.org/2012/...for-1-kso.html)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #1308
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Lame Fire only deal:

$10 off $50 purchase (but, you must make a $50 purchase to get the code, both have to use citi card, lots of rules .. on my blog if anyone is really that interested).
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #1309
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Fire only: $2 credit for instant videos; claim by dec 9, use by dec 17
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #1310
koland
Grand Sorcerer

This one is open for everyone:

Free Voucher to Purchase Select eBooks from the Amazon Kindle Store for $1
https://local.amazon.com/national/B00AOB51MC

Sign-up for this offer expires December 18, 2012 or when the number of vouchers set aside by Amazon have been exhausted.

The voucher will expire if not used toward a qualifying Kindle book purchase from Amazon.com by 11:59 p.m. PST, December 26, 2012

choices: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000857641
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #1311
koland
Grand Sorcerer

New Fire only deal - $2 to spend on games and apps.

I had to do a full reset on my 7" HD, since it had refused to download any offers for the last few weeks and was only displaying ads for books it would not actually let me buy... grr.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #1312
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
New Fire only deal - $2 to spend on games and apps.

I had to do a full reset on my 7" HD, since it had refused to download any offers for the last few weeks and was only displaying ads for books it would not actually let me buy... grr.
That sounds like the problem I had. Yuck. Mine didn't show the ads though.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #1313
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
That sounds like the problem I had. Yuck. Mine didn't show the ads though.
They are slowly coming back (but nothing there worth mentioning, yet). I still haven't put all my content back, so need to do that over the weekend (it takes a very long time to transfer on my system, for some reason; plus, it sort of times out if ignored while plugged in too long and I have to yank the USB and plug it back in again for the drive to be accessible).
Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #1314
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are slowly coming back (but nothing there worth mentioning, yet). I still haven't put all my content back, so need to do that over the weekend (it takes a very long time to transfer on my system, for some reason; plus, it sort of times out if ignored while plugged in too long and I have to yank the USB and plug it back in again for the drive to be accessible).
What? I don't understand what you mean. You have problems manually transferring from your computer?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1315
koland
Grand Sorcerer

not "problems", it is just very slow.

The Kindle Fire also just quits responding when on USB. So, if you don't get it transferred quickly enough, you have to yank the cord (which cancels the xfer, finally) and plug it back in and try again (doing a 'skip' on files that exist). Also, Win7 refuses to let me use Teracopy with the Kindle Fire (it manages copies, does verifies, etc - but won't work with the Fire). Yes, you are supposed to eject it first -- but there isn't an eject option on the Fire (a lot like the Kobo reader and the Sandisk MP3 players - you just have to make sure it isn't being accessed and unplug it, as there is no Eject and it doesn't show up in the usb devices to eject, as well).

Since transferring the content I had will probably take over an hour, I've been putting it off (it took three days of copying to get it backed up - apps, magazines, etc).
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #1316
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

The Kindle Fire also just quits responding when on USB. So, if you don't get it transferred quickly enough, you have to yank the cord (which cancels the xfer, finally) and plug it back in and try again (doing a 'skip' on files that exist). .
You may want to try loading (or re-loading) the Kindle Fire USB drivers on your computer. You can find instructions on how to load them in this post on XDA. The thread is on rooting the Fire but you don't have to go that far. Just follow the instructions on loading the drivers via the "Alternate Method" in section A. You also find a link to download the drivers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #1317
new

Quote:

The Kindle Fire also just quits responding when on USB. So, if you don't get it transferred quickly enough, you have to yank the cord (which cancels the xfer, finally) and plug it back in and try again (doing a 'skip' on files that exist). Also, Win7 refuses to let me use Teracopy with the Kindle Fire (it manages copies, does verifies, etc - but won't work with the Fire). Yes, you are supposed to eject it first -- but there isn't an eject option on the Fire (a lot like the Kobo reader and the Sandisk MP3 players - you just have to make sure it isn't being accessed and unplug it, as there is no Eject and it doesn't show up in the usb devices to eject, as well).
My Samsung Galaxy Player does that to me too. Several times today, I could have strangled it, lol.

I will have to reload everything on my KFHD come Monday, a replacement is arriving. So I am in the same boat of reloading.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #1318
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You may want to try loading (or re-loading) the Kindle Fire USB drivers on your computer. You can find instructions on how to load them in this post on XDA. The thread is on rooting the Fire but you don't have to go that far. Just follow the instructions on loading the drivers via the "Alternate Method" in section A. You also find a link to download the drivers.
that shouldn't be the issue (and it isn't on the older Fires, etc). Seems to be some buggy item in the newer android devices - they install differently and just sit there, refusing most functions (and going to sleep, which is a Kindle Fire specialty - if I don't disable sleep entirely, it never calculations space usage, as it takes well over 5 minutes for it to figure it out).

With a large library, it also takes over 5 minutes to get into the list of books on the Fire, so you essentially can't retrieve books that way and must use the carousel only (the older fire is so much faster in it's interface, that it is ridiculous that amazon touts any of the newer Fires as "faster"; sadly, if your library gets large enough, it can also brick your Kindles, completely.

Their programmers are pretty much clueless idiots - I could have designed a better library interface in college (and one that didn't crash, as theirs does). they could fix it with a switch to disable any retrieval of the archive and instead do all searches to the back-end library (as their MYK page, back when it was very responsive, instead now, when it loads 16 books at a time, until it has your entire library in memory on the computer ... and only then can search all your titles -- it might look faster, for those with under 100 books, but is tremendously slower (and a heavier load on their system) than the older method they used.

I'm still avoiding reloading - although i know it is faster than a redownload of the magazines...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #1319
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried getting a replacement from Amazon? I had the original Fire and now have the Fire HD and don't have the issues you're having (though I don't use it for reading but I have filled it with video from Amazon and other sideloaded video).

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1320
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Have you tried getting a replacement from Amazon? I had the original Fire and now have the Fire HD and don't have the issues you're having (though I don't use it for reading but I have filled it with video from Amazon and other sideloaded video).

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.
No problem (with the sidetracking). this one is a replacement, of sorts (I changed to one with more memory). Both of them, plus the 8.9" I have (and my Kobo Vox and all my Sandisk MP3's) have the same issue (no Eject on any; super-slow newer software and can't figure out their memory usage - and the galaxy tab does the same on this task, so it seems to be an android trait).

the new fire seems "more android" than the last, in some ways, but also is just as screwed up (then again, most websites are only marginally compatible with any android browser, from my phone to the branded tablets to the generics tablets I have - the only reason the iPad works better is sheer numbers and execs using them at companies forcing their IT depts to support them; even then, some sites, like feedblitz, don't work).

I've had sites where you can't select the edit boxes if there is a single iframe used, others where no amount of fiddling will let you move the cursor to do an edit, etc (and iframes can also hijack any 'click' on a page, in some cases).

I do wish they hadn't screwed up the ability to see your archive on the Fire, although I don't read on it much (less now), it used to be an easy way to find a book; instead, I just use the website and send it that way (often to an eInk Kindle, instead).