Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
YAAWR - moved from calibre forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Weird, I can think of no reason for it in that case. The new version of Qt does seem to have issues with some windows 7 systems. Given that windows 7 is going to be end-of-lifed in January I suggest you stick with calibre 3.48 until you are in a position to upgrade Windows.
Or switch to Linux. Win 10 is a huge backward step from XP and Win7.
We do have win10 on one desktop and one tablet with keyboard dock. We also have Win98, XP and Win7 on some old machines for compatibility, things that don't work on a VM.
The everyday OS on everyone's laptops is Linux Mint with Mate Desktop. My wife has an XP VM on Linux for one game that won't install on Win7 or Win10. Some old windows programs (anything with VB RS232 widget) won't run on any 64 bit windows, but are fine on 32 bit WINE on Linux, not even needing a VM (even a USB based RS232 port on Linux maps perfectly to COM1 etc for any Windows program working on WINE or a VM).

QT has issues on Linux. Viber uses it and on SOME 1920x1080 screens it thinks a high DPI screen is in use and you have to add a 0.5 scale in an environment setting or else Viber won't fit on the screen!

I think it was bad when Nokia bought Trolltech and most the original QT developers left.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-06-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Or switch to Linux. Win 10 is a huge backward step from XP and Win7.
We do have win10 on one desktop and one tablet with keyboard dock. We also have Win98, XP and Win7 on some old machines for compatibility, things that don't work on a VM.
The everyday OS on everyone's laptops is Linux Mint with Mate Desktop. My wife has an XP VM on Linux for one game that won't install on Win7 or Win10. Some old windows programs (anything with VB RS232 widget) won't run on any 64 bit windows, but are fine on 32 bit WINE on Linux, not even needing a VM (even a USB based RS232 port on Linux maps perfectly to COM1 etc for any Windows program working on WINE or a VM).

QT has issues on Linux. Viber uses it and on SOME 1920x1080 screens it thinks a high DPI screen is in use and you have to add a 0.5 scale in an environment setting or else Viber won't fit on the screen!

I think it was bad when Nokia bought Trolltech and most the original QT developers left.
I disagree. Linux is not a replacement for Windows. Windows 10 works well. I have it installed on three different computers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Well, you are right about most things, there are different use cases. I've been using / installing / training etc Windows and related since Win3.0 and NT3.51.
Linux is an alternative to Windows, just as MacOS is. Certainly it's not a replacement for some people and also many companies locked into Sharepoint, Outlook, MS Office Macros/programming, Sage, Adobe etc.

Windows 10 can work. However the telemetry, updates and maintenance are disaster unless you are on a higher end version, or even a corporate version. The GUI design is the worst since windows 2.0 on hercules. Flat webpage GUI?
I've maintained many computers (also for a small business) and rolled back almost all from Win10 to Win7. Then later changed some to Linux. I've stopped doing work for my last IT client as their CRM is windows / cloud based and they are breaking GDPR with how they use Cloud services for their clients. They'd rather stay on Win7 and would switch to Linux if their CRM was supported.

Many people have no choice. I have as I can have old gear for the once a year or old game and I now have all the everyday Apps I need on Linux (since about 5 years ago, but I only gave up Windows for main laptop 2 years ago). I migrated to many programs also on Linux even when I was on XP.
Migrated server from Win2000 Advanced Server to Linux when Windows Update Server was no longer any use to us many years ago.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-06-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again I disagree. WIndows 10 is not a disaster and Windows Home 64-bit runs just fine. I have two Windows 10 Home systems and one Windows 10-Pro. All 64-bit. So telling others that Windows 10 is a disaster is just wrong. You may not like it, but it's not a disaster.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm fairly OS agnostic, myself. If there's icons to click on, menu's to pull down (both contextual and main), a browser, and a free compiler to be had, I can get by.

I love my Linux system, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to be any better/worse to me than Windows XP/7 was. Heck, I didn't even despise Vista. Windows ME was the only one I ever actively disliked.

They're tools just like any other. If the handle fits my hand, I can bash a nail in with just about any hammer out there. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Getting offtopic for a second, if you had enough HW to run Windows Vista, it was fine.

The problem is that most computers the average non-tech savvy person would have been buying early in Vista's life cycle didn't have enough HW to run Vista which gave it a bad rap.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm fairly OS agnostic, myself. If there's icons to click on, menu's to pull down (both contextual and main), a browser, and a free compiler to be had, I can get by.

I love my Linux system, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to be any better/worse to me than Windows XP/7 was. Heck, I didn't even despise Vista. Windows ME was the only one I ever actively disliked.

They're tools just like any other. If the handle fits my hand, I can bash a nail in with just about any hammer out there. *shrug*
Windows 8 was not good.When I Microsoft took away the the start menu and tried to move away from the desktop, it made Windows much harder to use for most people. I found a program called Classic Start that brought the start menu back to Windows 8/8.1. Windows 10

Windows ME was one of the worst Windows in terms of comparability.

I never ran Windows ME and I never ran Windows Vista. I did run Windows 3.1, 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and now run Windows 10.