Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
nappyrabbit
nappyrabbit began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pro
EZReader Pro and the hidden PID

Has anyone found a way to locate the PID in a EZ-Reader Pro from Astak?

I looked at the http://www.theezreader.com site and it states that I can find the PID by doing the following:
---------
"Go to the main screen of your internal memory. Press the OK button to see the menu. Choose number 6 for Settings. Then choose number 4 for the About option. At the bottom of that page, you should see your PID listed."
---------
But when I followed the above step, I only found the following:
Dev ID: JINKeBOOK***********************

When I contacted Astak support, I got a very cryptic response:

Our current readers will no longer support Mobiepocket ebooks since Amazon has purchased the Mobiepocket, so we have to hide the device PIDs. Please let me know if you need further information.

Since some of the ebook sites they recommended require the knowledge of the PID, I tried contacting them again for more clarity because the lack of a PID is a show-stopper when it comes to purchasing many ebooks.

But so far, they have not responded to my recent inquiry.

Any thoughts - people?

Thanks
nappyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
The PocKet Pro has no PID. You could have a look at this thread about PID.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
None of the Hanlin V5 models (Pocket Pro to you) support DRM'd Mobi so there is no PID. Your only option is to remove the DRM. Anything you can buy in Mobi can usually be bought in Epub.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
It is for 6" Model with old firmware that supports MOBI DRM.
Since TIRWAL 6" Firmware success on mixed MOBI/ADE DRM, but this method can not be work because unsupported bookshelf.
There are 2 ways to get PID.
1. Flash older firmware version, see PID in about and record it.
2. Using TIRWAL firmware, connect to MOBI Desktop and see PID from there.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not tried it, but the Tirwal firmware ((Perhaps) The best firmware for the HANLIN/BEBOOOK and OEM family again!) is supposed to add back support for MOBI DRM, i.e. make he MOBI PID available. However, I think you are better off stripping the DRM with mobidedrm.py. You will still need a PID to buy the DRMed ebook, but this can be from Windows MobiPocket Reader for example. In the US, stripping DRM for personal use from ebooks you bought is probably legal and certainly harms no one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
I have tried the Tirwal firmware. It is great, it might just actually be the best available. I am reading two books at the moment, one DRM Mobi, one DRM ADE, it's great!
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
If he is talking about the Pocket Pro then he can't use Tirwal's firmware.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
nappyrabbit
nappyrabbit began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pro
Thanks everybody for this help! I based my purchase on the EZReader Pro on the FAQ site of their webiste and it stated that the PID would be able to be retrieved. Lesson learned.
nappyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote