Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
English Thesaurus in the dictionary format

James C. Fernald, English Synonyms and Antonyms: with notes on the correct use of prepositions

A Practical and Invaluable Guide to Clear and Precise Diction for Writers, Speakers, Students, Business Persons and Professionals

You can purchase this dictionary for the Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TG4NYC. The easy way to find it on your Kindle is to search for the word "osnova" in the Kindle store.

Right after the KJV Bible, I published on Amazon a thesaurus dictionary by James Fernald. I've been working on this text (converting to the electronic form, proofreading, revising, updating) on and off for about two years now. It's in the Kindle dictionary format and works quite well on my Kindle.

If you do not want to pay for this book, you can download a different version (not mine) from the Gutenberg project for free. The other copy is the exact copy of the paper one; it is not in a dictionary format. Mine is based on a much more recent edition of Fernald's. It is also revised, updated, and specifically adapted to be used as a dictionary on the Kindle.

Fernald’s acclaimed dictionary of synonyms and antonyms provides detailed articles discriminating the shades in meaning and usage between synonyms. Now, for the first time, it is available in the Kindle electronic dictionary format with an integrated index and excellent navigation – just type in a word to see the list of available articles or select a letter in the table of contents to read it as a regular book. See the screenshots for an illustration.

Based on the 28th edition published by Funk & Wagnalls Company in 1914; significantly revised, updated, and adapted for the electronic use by OSNOVA in 2009.

A quick note: at this time, I do not guarantee that all features will work on Kindle 1 because I do not have access to it.

Please do not use the sample generated automatically by Amazon (it cripples most of the features of the dictionary). If you need a sample download it right here.

What others have said about Ferndald’s work:
  • "The work is likely to prove of great value to all writers."—Washington Evening Star.
  • "The book will receive high appreciation from thoughtful students who seek the most practical help."—Grand Rapids Herald.
  • "It is written in a clear and pleasing style and so arranged that but a moment's time is needed to find any line of the hundreds of important though small words which this book discusses."—Chattanooga Times.
  • "Its practical reference value is great, and it is a great satisfaction to note the care and attention to detail and fine shades of meaning the author has bestowed upon the words he discusses."—Church Review, Hartford.
  • "A work of great practical helpfulness to a large class of people."—Louisville Courier-Journal.
  • "This is one of the most useful books for writers, speakers, and all who care for the use of language, which has appeared in a long time."—Cumberland Presbyterian, Nashville.
  • "It is a book of great value to all who take any interest in correct and elegant language."—Methodist, Baltimore.
  • "This work is a welcome aid to good writing and good speech. It is worthy the close study of all who would cultivate finished style. Its admirable arrangement and a good index make it easy for reference."—Christian Observer.
  • "His book has some excellent qualities. In the first place, it is absolutely free from dogmatic assertion; in the second place, it contains copious examples from good authors, which should guide aright the person investigating any word, if he is thoroughly conversant with English."—The Sun, New York.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot00.gif
Views:	431
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	37728   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot01.gif
Views:	431
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	37729   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot02.gif
Views:	434
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	37730  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Fernalds-sample.mobi (162.7 KB, 330 views)
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
It's in the Kindle dictionary format and works quite well on my Kindle.
This is listed in:

Kindle Store › Kindle Books › Reference › Dictionaries & Thesauruses

but not in:

Kindle Store › Kindle Books › Reference › Dictionaries & Thesauruses › Kindle Default Dictionaries.

Can this be used as the Kindle default dictionary?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You *can* make it a default dictionary (in the settings on your Kindle); however, I do not know how useful it would be (it has much fewer words than a typical general dictionary). This is why I do not promote it as a replacement to the default dictionary. However, if you think this could be useful, let me know.

Also, I have not tested this on Kindle 1 (don't have one). I have put a disclaimer to that effect. Please try the sample (above - not the one from Amazon) first.

By the way, I am thinking of making an updated Soule's thesaurus in the Kindle dictionary format. It has more words and synonyms but does not provide definitions or any explanations about the differences in meaning as this one does. Please let me know if there is interest.

I am also considering making other mono- and bilingual dictionaries. If you have any suggestions on which ones to make (must be public domain), let me know.

Last edited by osnova; 10-20-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm confused. Did you make this book, or was it published by someone else?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm confused. Did you make this book, or was it published by someone else?
I (Osnova) have made and published this dictionary. I converted the text of an old paper dictionary to an electronic format, and then revised and updated it. Hope this clears up any confusion.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was the dictionary out of copyright? If not, we can't have it linked here on MobileRead. If it is out of copyright, then no problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Based on the 28th edition published by Funk & Wagnalls Company in 1914; significantly revised, updated, and adapted for the electronic use by OSNOVA in 2009.
I tried to cover all the bases in my first post, so I made it too big to read.

I do not claim copyright in the original text of the 1914 edition, which is public domain (as a published pre-1923 work); yet I do claim my own copyright in the revisions to the text. So, for any copyrighted text, I am the copyright holder. Why wouldn't you allow me to link it here?

Last edited by osnova; 10-20-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
pshrynk

Sorry, I missed that bit. Thanks for clarifying.

If you are the copyright holder and want to link it here, that's not a problem.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
I just purchased, and it looks like a fine effort. The price was a little steeper than expected, given that the source lacks more modern words, but I believe it will still be a good thesaurus and if so it will be a good deal. I can also say that, having tried to create a Kindle dictionary from PD sources in the past, I recognize the effort to put it together is significant.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTX View Post
I just purchased, and it looks like a fine effort. The price was a little steeper than expected, given that the source lacks more modern words, but I believe it will still be a good thesaurus and if so it will be a good deal. I can also say that, having tried to create a Kindle dictionary from PD sources in the past, I recognize the effort to put it together is significant.
First, thank you for your purchase.

Yeah, that's the rub. I have started from scratch, OCRing and proofreading, revising and somewhat updating the text, then converting it to the Kindle dictionary format. It took me a long time.

If I take a PD text from Gutenberg or another source, then the effort is minimal. I prefer to add something new, not just repackage the already available.

Now that people are used to free or dirt cheap e-books, $7 seems expensive. I guess I'll have to lower the price.

What do you think would be a more attractive price for people?

Last edited by osnova; 10-23-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
pshrynk

Most retailers find that if you end the price with .95, then you get more purchases. 6.95 or 5.95 would be a better attention grabber.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
It is true that we have a bunch of free and $1 books available, but they are not in the dictionary / thesaurus class so that didn't impact my view. The only caveat here is the the source is nearly 100 years old and thus is missing the more modern words, and this was an initial response. In any case, $7 for a good thesaurus is not too expensive, it comes down to the overall utility, and note that it didn't stop me from buying in the end. If it were me, I wouldn't jump up and lower the price yet, I would monitor sales and let that be the guide. For what it is worth, I think that if the price had been something like $4.95 when I first clicked on the link it wouldn't have struck me as steep at all. Again, I wouldn't change anything based on only one data point.

One other thing, which may or may not be relevant - a few years ago I created a shareware program for Palm devices where the money went to charity. Initially I sold it for $5 and sales were less than stellar. However, the people who were buying were using the program in their job (not my original expectation) and they enthusiastically sent me ideas to tweak it and make it better. I did so and figured, heck, it must be worth more now so I doubled the price to $10. Lo and behold, sales shot up like a bat out of Hades. In the end the charity received over $23,000 as a result of this and a couple of other small shareware programs I did. I realized the original price just looked too low to people for them to believe the product to be any good, but once it was in a range where a decent program might be found (it was still a bargain, by the way) people were willing to try and buy. There is a real impact from the expection of 'you get what you pay for' that influences buying behavior, so you should keep this in mind as well.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I have reduced the price to $3.95
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

If you've read my other posts, you may have noticed that I have published a large number of Bibles for the Kindle (KJV, WEB, NET and a free Chinese Union translation, more foreign translations are in the works). My other interest is dictionaries.

I have just released another Kindle dictionary -- Soule's Dictionary of Synonyms. Unlike, Fernald's dictionary of synonyms, this one has more entries and more synonyms in each entry; however, it does not discuss the differences in meaning between synonyms. Wherever I could, I have updated the spelling to more closely reflect the current spelling. However, some words in the dictionary sometimes are dated (the original Soule's was published in the late nineteenth century). Despite its vintage, I find this dictionary extremely useful (I have a large collection of old and modern dictionaries and thesauri). Words become overused and trite. We all repeat them. Forgotten words that are out of fashion may provide that new perspective and freshen up a text or speech.

For your enjoyment, I present Soule's Dictionary of Synonyms.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XDR6W2

P.S. A hook: I am currently working with Amazon to fix a technical issue with their system that prevents my other yet-unannounced dictionary from going "live." It is a modern dictionary. The compressed file size is more than 80 Mb, which probably makes it the largest dictionary for the Kindle.

Last edited by osnova; 11-17-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Fernald's English Synonyms and Antonyms Dictionary, Soule's Dictionary of English Synonyms and the WEB Bible are on Christmas sale for $0.99.

Please leave feedback on Amazon if you like my publications.