Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon outperforms bricks-and-mortar competitors

Yesterday we mentioned how Sony is having difficulties in coping with the current market situation. Amazon, on the other hand, seems to have done everything right. As Businessweek reports:

Quote:
In the fourth quarter, Amazon (AMZN) lured customers and gobbled up market share, producing results that crushed Wall Street expectations. Revenue jumped 18% during the quarter, propelled in large part by overseas shoppers who—though shopping less—are spending more of that shrinking budget online. International sales rose 31%.
What is more interesting to us, of course, is how the Kindle added to Amazon's successful quarter. And here, too, we hear some positive news:

Quote:
Amazon also trumpeted sales of its electronic book reader the Kindle, though it didn't disclose unit or dollar sales. "We are pleased with the demand," Amazon Chief Financial Officer Thomas Szkutak said during a conference call with analysts and investors. "It exceeded our expectations and we're excited to see the growth that we've seen since we launched it."
During the conference call, Szkutak also said:

Quote:
We are particularly pleased with Kindle demand during the fourth quarter. We want to remind everyone that Kindle revenue and cost are recognized over a two-year period. The Kindle Store contains the largest collection of e-books available anywhere in the world. Selection increased by 45,000 titles in the fourth quarter, bringing the total to 230,000 titles. 103 out of 112 current New York Times Best Sellers are available and, along with most new releases, are priced at $9.99 or less. In addition, the Kindle Store recently added the Arizona Republic, Baltimore Sun, Orange County Register and USA Today and now offers newspapers from eight of the top ten metro areas in the United States.
And FT reports:

Quote:
Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s chief executive and founder, did not comment during a call with investors on speculation that the company will unveil a second version of its Kindle electronic book reader on February 9.

He said that the company had been surprised by the strong level of demand for the Kindle in the fourth quarter, which led to it being out of stock for several weeks before Christmas.

“We had anticipated strong demand, and what we saw was stronger than that,” he said.
So everything looks good and rosy at Amazon on its way to world domination, wouldn't you say?

Related: Amazon Kindle 2.0 to be launched on Feb 9th?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

So everything looks good and rosy at Amazon on its way to world domination, wouldn't you say?

Well, except for Apple preparing to enter the fray.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Well, except for Apple preparing to enter the fray.
Is Apple planning on releasing a tablet this year?
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Last time I looked, Amazon is a "Brick & Mortar" book store as well as an ebook store, assuming that by "Brick and Mortar" we mean a seller of pbooks rather than a physical place you walk into to buy books.

Perhaps we should recognize three categories of book stores;
  1. The ones you walk into to buy physical books
  2. The ones you can order physical books from
  3. The ones you can order electronic books from

Amazon overlaps the latter two whereas, AFAIK, Fictionwise is only represented by the third. Barnes and Noble are represented by the first two. For Amazons figures to be meaningful, I think the statistics must be broken into these three separate categories rather than compared to the ambiguous term "Brick and Mortar stores".
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Why oh why won't they release their figures? Maybe they will do this during the Big Announcement.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Last time I looked, Amazon is a "Brick & Mortar" book store as well as an ebook store, assuming that by "Brick and Mortar" we mean a seller of pbooks rather than a physical place you walk into to buy books.
In the jargon of eCommerce, brick and mortar businesses are companies which have a physical presence (for example, a building made of bricks and mortar) - which offer face-to-face consumer experiences. This term is usually used to contrast with a transitory business or an internet-only presence (see online shop for comparison). An example would be the brick and mortar movie rental shop Blockbuster Video—the competition from the new online rental services offered by Netflix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricks_and_mortar_business
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
Is Apple planning on releasing a tablet this year?
An 8 inch Ipod Touch.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post

Perhaps we should recognize three categories of book stores;
  1. The ones you walk into to buy physical books
  2. The ones you can order physical books from
  3. The ones you can order electronic books from

Amazon overlaps the latter two whereas, AFAIK, Fictionwise is only represented by the third. Barnes and Noble are represented by the first two. For Amazons figures to be meaningful, I think the statistics must be broken into these three separate categories rather than compared to the ambiguous term "Brick and Mortar stores".
The term "brick and mortar" store generally means a store that has one or more physical stores that you can actually walk in to to look at their goods. So, basically your category 1.

Although, the fact that a brick and mortar retailer also has an online presence doesn't preclude them from being called a brick and mortar store. It's more the absence of a physical store (online only) that puts a retailer out of the brick and mortar category.

Amazon is way out performing brick and mortar stores in this household. Even if I can walk into a store in town (where the selection is horribly limited by the way), very often they will be out of stock on what I want and the price will be high.

Often, the price is lower at Amazon and the thing might qualify for free shipping. Meaning I don't even have to bear the cost of driving in to town to shop for something that (1) they don't carry or (2) don't have in stock.

There are a lot of us people out here in the sticks who are starting to figure this out.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Johns1NOnly
Loves2Design <3
Johns1NOnly doesn't litterJohns1NOnly doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Ipad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
An 8 inch Ipod Touch.
If they still have the same kind screen that for most people (me) it still will stress your eyes and give headaches when reading for long periods(5+ hours). unlike the epaper which doesn't give me headaches
Johns1NOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

I think it's going to be a knock down drag out amoung Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

Maybe it will eventually be MicroGoogazon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think it's going to be a knock down drag out amoung Amazon, Google and Microsoft.

Maybe it will eventually be MicroGoogazon.

BOb
Or maybe Amagoosoft?? Or Amasoftgoo?

Sounds ever so squishy.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can see Amazon, Google, and Microsoft coexisting for quite some time. Amazon does not compete with either. And while it is true that MS wants some of Google's advertising revenue they are unbelievably clumsy at it and continue to "epic fail." Their best shot was buying Yahoo, which seems to be off-again. Fortunately for MS they have a bevy of other products and tons of cash.

I can certainly see Amazon starting to eliminate some direct competitors I've used such as buy.com, e-bay, or getfeetwet. The internet allows us to comparison shop so well that Amazon will have to price match to truly cease all my non-Amazon buying.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I can see Amazon, Google, and Microsoft coexisting for quite some time. Amazon does not compete with either. And while it is true that MS wants some of Google's advertising revenue they are unbelievably clumsy at it and continue to "epic fail." Their best shot was buying Yahoo, which seems to be off-again. Fortunately for MS they have a bevy of other products and tons of cash.

I can certainly see Amazon starting to eliminate some direct competitors I've used such as buy.com, e-bay, or getfeetwet. The internet allows us to comparison shop so well that Amazon will have to price match to truly cease all my non-Amazon buying.
I had a horrible (horrible) experience with Buy.com not long after they started up. I never forgave them for it, and will never ever shop through them, or recommend them to anyone.

Yeah .... I know .... holding grudges = bad thing. I'm working on it -- but not with Buy.com. They totally lost my business completely and irrevocably.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I had a horrible (horrible) experience with Buy.com not long after they started up. I never forgave them for it, and will never ever shop through them, or recommend them to anyone.

Yeah .... I know .... holding grudges = bad thing. I'm working on it -- but not with Buy.com. They totally lost my business completely and irrevocably.
I won't forgive them for spamming the crap out of me.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
1) They have the best prices on just about everything.
2) No tax
3) Free two day shipping with the $80 yr. prime account. No minimum. I buy enough to more than make up that amount. Even if you don't have this, most things get free shipping (not two day) with $25 purchase.
4) Very liberal exchange policy. Have had to return only three things......two were defective, one was "I just didn't like it" . The defective ones, they paid return shipping on. The one I didn't like, I did. Fair enough. Posts to my account were done immediately.

Whats not to like on a store with these policies? If my local B&M store would stock books I wanted, instead of telling me "Oh, we can order it for you", it might help.

If my local Best Buy didn't have such lousy customer service, and if their 'associates' actually tried to sell me what I said I needed, instead of going for the more expensive model because they are on commision, I might buy there.

But I'll still go to Sears for my large appliances....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote