Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
stevejoung
stevejoung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cannot mount Kindle directory via sshfs

Posted in error.

Last edited by stevejoung; 09-17-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Posted in error.
stevejoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejoung View Post
I am trying to mount a directory from my Kindle Paperwhite onto my Ubuntu laptop. I can connect to the Kindle via ssh and use Vi to edit files but I would prefer to do the editing on my laptop. Not least because the ssh connection seems to hang from time to time for no apparent reason.

I have three password suggestions from the Kindle Root Password Tool which all work to login via ssh but none of them work in sshfs as is shown below.

steve@steve:~$ sudo sshfs /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/@192.168.15.244:/ /media/steve
/usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/@192.168.15.244's password:
read: Connection reset by peer
Duh...

Are you using the ssh server from NiLuJe's snapshots thread? (which has 'keep alive' enabled)
Ah, which ssh server? (The USBnetworking package has two)

Which sshfs? (there is more than one application by that name)
With what username? (specified directly to sshfs, not the effective username of sudo)
Over Wifi?
Over USB cable?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
stevejoung

I can mount the directory now using:

sshfs root@192.168.15.244:/usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/strings/ kindle

It is interesting that you mention a "keep alive" feature as I have noticed that ssh and sshfs connections are prone to just hang. I will look into this. Thanks.

Last edited by stevejoung; 09-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
sshfs is prone to eating dirt on pretty much any system, so, err, not a huge benchmark there . In this very specific instance, KA might help, or might make it worse.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Note that the poster has **STILL** not answered the:
"Over Wifi or over USB cable" question.

In fact, the o.p. hasn't answered a single question.
I think we had better just log this thread as:
-ePEBKAC

Last edited by knc1; 09-17-2014 at 04:30 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
stevejoung

I actually deleted the original post within 15 minutes of posting it after I realised how to mount via sshfs. As you answered my original post I replied and told you exactly what I was doing wrong and showed the command that worked.

I don't know why you want all the other details as the problem doesn't exist. It was my mistake. Sorry. OK?

(over cable)

Last edited by stevejoung; 09-18-2014 at 03:09 AM.

Tags
mount, remote, ssh, sshfs