Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #316
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I have tried checking WHSmithUK on Chrome and also IE, but when I login all I get is a white page with a bunch of links that don't work. The only link that works is the logout one Will just have to wait for my tracking email to hit my inbox.
I thought it was just me, but apparently it's happening to others too.

I find the only way I can get onto my order details page is to go to my confirmation email from WHSmith's and go to the bottom of the email and click on the manage my order link. This leads to what seems like the same lousy page with useless links but if I scroll down to my order history part I can access the order details page by clicking on the link there. It seems to be the only link on the page that actually works at all apart from the logout which I discovered as well.

Strangely if I use my iPod to log in it loads the correct account details complete with working links the way it should. Don't know what is going on there at all.

My Aura order has been 'Waiting For Stock' since a couple of hours after placing my order.

I now have kept a page open to the order page in Chrome when it reloads, it generally asks me to login again. When I do I hit that strange white page but like I mentioned above scrolling down to the 'My Orders' heading I get the correct and working links to my WHSmith orders.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #317
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I thought it was just me, but apparently it's happening to others too.

I find the only way I can get onto my order details page is to go to my confirmation email from WHSmith's and go to the bottom of the email and click on the manage my order link. This leads to what seems like the same lousy page with useless links but if I scroll down to my order history part I can access the order details page by clicking on the link there. It seems to be the only link on the page that actually works at all apart from the logout which I discovered as well.

Strangely if I use my iPod to log in it loads the correct account details complete with working links the way it should. Don't know what is going on there at all.

My Aura order has been 'Waiting For Stock' since a couple of hours after placing my order.

I now have kept a page open to the order page in Chrome when it reloads, it generally asks me to login again. When I do I hit that strange white page but like I mentioned above scrolling down to the 'My Orders' heading I get the correct and working links to my WHSmith orders.
Thank you, I am so glad it is not just me. I have not scrolled down as you suggest, but I will try that, and if that fails, I will try my iPod.

Added: Scrolled down as you suggested and actually got a working webpage which said my order was 'confirmed'. That is better than the gobbledygook I had been getting...sending some karma your way

Last edited by Breid; 04-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #318
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
A Kobo Aura Review from MarketNews.

Summary: Great hardware, but disappointing UI for the online bookstore.
I've got to learn to stop reading reviews. It drives me nuts when these guys either don't know what they are talking about or are doing a poor job of explaining and giving a wrong impression. If you knew nothing of Kobo, you would assume from watching this review that the advanced font options and even having multiple fonts was only possible with the HD screen on the Aura. And none of them seem to be aware that you can sideload your own fonts.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #319
tgill
tgill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kobo Aura HD
Tested a demo unit at Chapters today, great display, and very quick.

However I did notice that the device itself creaked and flexed compared to the solid Glo beside it. I don't know if this is related to the demo unit or a universal thing, so Aura owners does your device feel solid?
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #320
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgill View Post
Tested a demo unit at Chapters today, great display, and very quick.

However I did notice that the device itself creaked and flexed compared to the solid Glo beside it. I don't know if this is related to the demo unit or a universal thing, so Aura owners does your device feel solid?
Yes

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #321
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I've got to learn to stop reading reviews. It drives me nuts when these guys either don't know what they are talking about or are doing a poor job of explaining and giving a wrong impression. If you knew nothing of Kobo, you would assume from watching this review that the advanced font options and even having multiple fonts was only possible with the HD screen on the Aura. And none of them seem to be aware that you can sideload your own fonts.
I agree....is it too much to expect that reviewers have more than a vague notion about how to give a considered assessment of the devices they are 'reviewing'. An earlier poster referred to the Goodereader reviewers as Tweedledum and Tweedledee. The kindest way I can refer to them is as a pair of twits, and I think their cameras and Youtube account should be withdrawn until they have attended 'How to Contruct an Impartial and Informative Review 101'
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #322
munim
munim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hey guys,

I received my Aura HD this afternoon, it's literally the first e-reader I have touched, much less used. Given that background, here are my thoughts:

Physically it has nice build quality, no creaking or untoward sounds when handling it normally. Rapping on the rear of the device makes a hollow sound, which is obvious and acceptable considering the way it's made. The shape of the rear makes the device comfortable, as is widely reported. The only thing I find strange is the red color of the power button/slider, but really I don't care too much about it.

The screen looks great, as I would expect an e-reader to look. I find the page transitions to be disconcerting, however. I was expecting an animation like I've seen on reading apps on full-on tablets. I suppose that's impossible for these displays? The responsiveness of the display is alright, the touches are always detected immediately but there's a lag between the touch and the screen displaying that the key has been depressed (in the case of the on-screen keyboard).

The glow / light feature of the screen is really good, it's very easy on the eyes and uniform as far as I can tell. It has a light blue hue.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Edit: One thing though: the screen displays an inversion of the black and white screen elements when the whole or a portion of the screen is changed like in the video I've uploaded here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGpl_K4-Hg
Is this normal for e-readers?

Last edited by munim; 04-22-2013 at 10:02 PM.
munim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #323
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by munim View Post
Hey guys,

I received my Aura HD this afternoon, it's literally the first e-reader I have touched, much less used. Given that background, here are my thoughts:

Physically it has nice build quality, no creaking or untoward sounds when handling it normally. Rapping on the rear of the device makes a hollow sound, which is obvious and acceptable considering the way it's made. The shape of the rear makes the device comfortable, as is widely reported. The only thing I find strange is the red color of the power button/slider, but really I don't care too much about it.

The screen looks great, as I would expect an e-reader to look. I find the page transitions to be disconcerting, however. I was expecting an animation like I've seen on reading apps on full-on tablets. I suppose that's impossible for these displays? The responsiveness of the display is alright, the touches are always detected immediately but there's a lag between the touch and the screen displaying that the key has been depressed (in the case of the on-screen keyboard).

The glow / light feature of the screen is really good, it's very easy on the eyes and uniform as far as I can tell. It has a light blue hue.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Edit: One thing though: the screen displays an inversion of the black and white screen elements when the whole or a portion of the screen is changed like in the video I've uploaded here:

Is this normal for e-readers?
I assume you're talking about the screen flashing? That's normal for all e-readers. If you like you can change the settings so that it refreshes between 1 and 6 pages.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #324
munim
munim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitymunim has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I assume you're talking about the screen flashing? That's normal for all e-readers. If you like you can change the settings so that it refreshes between 1 and 6 pages.
Yes, I was referring to the screen flashing. I've added the URL for the video because I don't think the embed option is working. It doesn't happen on page turns, but it does happen for actions like opening up the settings menu on the device. Either way, it's not a big deal, all I really care about is the reading experience.
munim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #325
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Another review for the Aura, but this reviewer isn't too happy with the device.

The reviewer claims it's a luxury e-reader that nobody wanted.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #326
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munim View Post
Yes, I was referring to the screen flashing. I've added the URL for the video because I don't think the embed option is working. It doesn't happen on page turns, but it does happen for actions like opening up the settings menu on the device. Either way, it's not a big deal, all I really care about is the reading experience.
Basically what the purpose of flashing the screen to completely black is to get rid of any shadows or artifacts that end up on the screen when it changes. You'll notice that most if you have a picture in a book and it doesn't happen to be the refresh page. My personal preference is to have it flash every page because it gives me cleaner text. Others will set it to every 6 pages (while reading -- going into a menu or changing chapters forces a reset) or will edit the config files to go more than 6 if they don't like the flash. Personally I don't even notice it any more.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #327
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:

That reviewer also claims it's backlit.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #328
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #329
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

He sure goes on about the luxury thing. Is that how it's being marketed in Australia or something? Because this is the first I've heard of Kobo calling it a luxury anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
...and that you're locked into Kobo for books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #330
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:

The review states that the Aura is backlit, but in fact it is front-lit. The difference is important, as front-lighting is better on the eyes.

Kobo books cost more in Australia than Kindle e-books? That's weird, Kobo e-books are extremely price competitive in Canada.

The title of the article is strange... since when did no one want a luxury e-reader with a bigger, and high-res screen? I sure did.

The article suggests the 1GHz processor is a powerhouse as if it's an improvement, but the Kobo Glo also has a 1GHz processor. Are they *different* processors, or something? The article doesn't address that.

The article says that the Kindle Paperwhite is the Aura's closest competitor. I don't understand that, as the Glo and Paperwhite are virtually identical spec for spec, with each holding slight edges over the other in small ways, but equal overall.

If the Aura really can go down to 0% frontlighting (again *not* backlighting) as the article suggests, then that's a huge improvement: previously this was something the Glo could not do (it could be off, or it could be on at about 10% or so as a minimum). My understanding is that the Paperwhite has no 0% mode either (it drops down to a super low light mode, but not 0%).

The screen ghosting is a function of e-ink and is something all e-ink e-readers suffer at times.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote