Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #136
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
The bigest problem I'm finding right now is actually finding a piece of software that is just simply increasing the audio gain across the board. Just about everything I find is actually doing normalization determination, similar to the setting already available in Handbrake.
I believe Wavegain has an option to increase the audio gain. With the options I used I think it just did something similar to normalizing.

-g, --gain X Apply additional Manual Gain adjustment in decibels, where
X = any floating point number between -12.0 and +12.0.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #137
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
That would be awful slick. Let me know if you notice any discernable difference in audio volume on the NC.

Just as a sidenote, someone over at XDA pointed out that the NC built-in speaker is mono, and the audio processor is NOT downmixing stereo to mono, so if you play 2-channel stereo audio through the speaker, you're only getting the left channel (or maybe it was only the right, I don't recall).

Anyways, as you test, you may want to use headphones where you can actually get the benefit of 2-channel audio.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #138
Boilerman
Boilerman began at the beginning.

Setting proper aspect ratio in Handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post

this worked for me!
Whenever I try to create a set profile for the NC in Handbrake, the closest I am able to set the picture dimensions are 720x416, as opposed to 720X421. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #139
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Frequently with encoding applications that are based on various codecs, the ideal video dimensions will be multiples of 16. I believe that you can force the horizontal to whatever you wish, but Handbrake will always suggest a vertical (I can't recall if you can override with various aspect ratio settings).

Another thing to watch out for is the "automatic" setting for the cropping on the same settings tab, this can also impact the final output resolution.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #140
dgiznya
Ty
dgiznya began at the beginning.

the preview is a great tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
There is nothing worse than having a 7 year old computer, getting this stuff all configured just the way you want it, then letting that old boy encode that video over the next few hours, only to realize that you forgot to actually hit the "Add Track" button back in the Audio tab. So all that hard work just went down the tubes.

Turns out Handbrake has a nifty feature button at the top middle of the main window called "Preview." If you want to use this feature, I believe you need to have VLC media player installed. You can grab it here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

When they say it plays everything, they pretty much mean it.

Anyways ... after hitting the Preview button, you'll be met by the screen in this post. I have it set to start the preview at "5," which I believe means about the 50% point in the video, and then encode just 30 seconds (Duration) right around that area. Click Play with VLC and it will do it's hard work encoding, and fire up VLC to let you watch it immediately. If anything doesn't seem right when it plays, you can go back and check those settings, and you didn't waste an entire evening with your computer gronking away on a bad video.

After you've confirmed the video is as it should be, hit the start button, and off it goes. You should be able to see a progress meter in the lower left of the Handbrake window as it works. Just remember, if you chose 2-pass video encoding, don't get all excited when it gets to 100% as it will need to start over for the second pass.

If anyone wants to know how to do this on multiple videos, and be able to walk away while it's working, just say sasquatch.

Kypto
Following your walkthrough has worked great.
Much appreciated.
I will say that the preview tip you described in Handbrake has already saved me more than once.

Thanks
DG
dgiznya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #141
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Hey, and there's a brand new version of Handbrake out. It's been over a year since the last official version. Still seems to work with these settings, but didn't really test much to see if it was any faster.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Quote of the day: "Can ... I ... borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit water buffalo."
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #142
dgiznya
Ty
dgiznya began at the beginning.

Someone ought to change the title of this thread form:

Nook Color: Can't Play sideloaded m4v videos

to

"Nook Color: Plays sideloaded m4v videos and does a great job of it."
dgiznya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #143
buddy6713
buddy6713 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Thank you! I thought I'd selected the pre-set for the ipad/ipod and that everything else would fall in line without requiring me to actively set anything but since my video has a question mark (in my Nook Library) I guess I have to be more pro active.

I'm going to print out all your terrific helpful posts and follow them consecutively. Should produce video that Nook displays.
buddy6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #144
NOOKcolor B&N
NOOKcolor B&N began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
NOOKcolor MP4 FAILURE!!

I, unfortunately, have been having the same problems as you. I have everything succesfully converted to MP4 format and saved on my Micro SD card but CANNOT play on NOOKcolor!!! If anyone is out there, I NEED HELP!!!!!!
NOOKcolor B&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #145
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Have you read through this entire thread, and then performed the steps using the correct software?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #146
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, the answer is within this thread. There's much to grasp, but the pay off is big.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #147
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...
merlin5353 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook classic, Eee PC
Working well for me. Thanks for the info, KryptoNyte!
merlin5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #148
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I know I'm late getting in on this discussion, but I just now got around to converting some of my movies for use on the NC. I use Daniusoft Media Converter. It's a great program. You can convert to output files with one touch basically. The program has many output settings optimized to many different devices, including iPod, Android, Blackberry, Zune, and LOTS more. For me, I just selected the video I wanted to convert, told it to convert it to the Zune mp4 setting (I have a Zune and wanted to be able to use that too...the Zune setting works great for the NC too), and told it to place the converted file in whatever directory I wanted, and voila! Worked like a charm. Didn't have to mess with any other settings at all.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #149
thef00l2
thef00l2 began at the beginning.

I've been able to convert using the roxio converter. I'll check the settings I used after i get home.
I was able to sideload and play Avatar (complete with subtitles) with no problem. I'm only using a class 4 8gb. sound is only decent thru headphones or external speakers attached thru the jack.
I did not notice any noticeable lag.
thef00l2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #150
gstealer
gstealer is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Nook Color (rooted)
Ran into a problem here.

I've burned 2 videos using CloneDVD mobile and 'fixed' like the hints here using handbreak that run fine. (District9 and Wall-e).

Did the same with Tformers and Avatar, but both of these are a skewed split screen. I've run handbreak again and each time get the same thing.
Any ideas since you all rawk?
I've read thru this posting a few times and dont see this happening to anyone else. Thanks
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote