Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
[Old Thread] Calibere without even loading Sony Reader software?

Can I use Calibre without even loading the Sony software? I bought a new Sony Touch PRS600 reader. The reader is fine. But after hours and hours on the phone, Sony cannot get their software to run on my Windows 7 machine. It won't even come up after install. So, I was going to return the reader. But if Calibre will work even if I don't install the Sony software, i can keep the reader and just use Calibre.

I've read several posts here on the forum, and it appears it mght work. The only thing I've seen that seems to be a problem is getting the reader setup to use Adobe Digital editions?

Steve
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
rtype
Enthusiast
rtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litter

Device: none
Yes it will work fine, I use calibre with a sony 505, I've never installed the sony software.

You may need it to buy books from the sony store etc. I havn't done that.
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
To access Adobe DRM protected books (like Overboard from your library), you will need at least Adobe Digital Editions. You can install it from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/digita...?promoid=DNRHZ

This Adobe package is reliable, easy to install, and has it's own EBook Reader for the PC.

The Sony software would install this, and the only other thing you need the Sony software for is to access the Sony store. Not a big loss.

For library management it is hard to beat Calibre.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know there's a great forum for mobile and ebook reading and readers. I'm just now getting into this 21st century thing I guess!

I had seen several people posting about switching from Sony to Calibre, but I've never even SEEN the Sony software in action, so I was concerned. But sounds like this is a better way to start anyway!

Thanks again!

Steve
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I got my 600 yesterday, Had installed Calibre, ADE, Reader Library, all working fine, Started Calibre, plugged in my Reader and laded 200 books on to it without any problems,

Calibre will be my main software of choice !

Last edited by Kevin2960; 02-25-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
That is good to know. I'm getting further and further away from the pitiful excuse for software that Sony offers.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
gchase
gchase began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Calibre

I tried the Sony software and removed it after 1/2 day. I use Calibre on both my Linux workstation and my Windows laptop. It's great. The Sony software seems so limiting. I use Calibre exclusively now.
gchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
mommabarb
MOMMABARB
mommabarb began at the beginning.

Device: computer
Smile

Hi maybe someone out there can help. And maybe the solution is Calibre. Have 2 SOny PRS600 and 1 Kobo (not WiFi) and have been at this for a weektrying to get books downloaded to my Sony. I use Kobo store to purchase books for my Kobo and saw they have a better selection of books, so I prefer to use this storeI have downloaded and used ADE for about 2 years with the Kobo. but since I tried to use the Sonys my ade saysthe book belongs to another user, and thedownloads to Sony will not take on the Sony .when I go to read the downloaded book it shows Protected page on my reader.. Help Help. MOMMABARB
mommabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
mommabarb
MOMMABARB

Further to above post this is what I have tried so far. ADE does recognize my PRS 600 when plugged in but when I drag to drop it has a red light on the drag bar, and message sometime comes up and it says belongs to another user.
On the Sony PRS 600 books are showing in Sony library but cant get them to take on my Sony. I read for a PRS600 you have to have Sony library for Ade to acceptt he Sony on ADE, I also read that maybe a different log in between the Sony and the ADE and Sony account could cause a problem. Ive changed to the same log in for ADE, Sony Readers and Sony account. All I get on my Sony reader is protected page. But books I purchase from Sony Store are on my reader and am having no problems with them.Mommabarb
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
mommabarb
MOMMABARB

Again its me Mommabarb. Thats why I am afraid to download Calibre until I can find out what is wrong. Calibre sounds like the right ticket but until I can get the Sony to Stop coming up anytime I go into Ade or syn from Kobo Ill be happy
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabarb View Post
Again its me Mommabarb. Thats why I am afraid to download Calibre until I can find out what is wrong. Calibre sounds like the right ticket but until I can get the Sony to Stop coming up anytime I go into Ade or syn from Kobo Ill be happy
There is nothing wron with Calibre. It WILL allow ADE to co exist.
But it is advisable to only have 1 of those running when a reader is attached.

The other problem: It appears that you created 2 different ADE accounts for your devices, rather than add (register) the second device to the existing account.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
Can I use Calibre without even loading the Sony software? I bought a new Sony Touch PRS600 reader. The reader is fine. But after hours and hours on the phone, Sony cannot get their software to run on my Windows 7 machine. It won't even come up after install.

Steve
i don't use, it but sony software installed OK on my 64bit Win 7 PC- that was from a prs-650, maybe the 600 has an old version. surprised Sony don't have an answer though, as win 7 is the current O/S of choice for windows PCs.

probably you have an incompetent sony support person helping you!
if their software failed on all win 7 pcs it would be a big, known issue!

Last edited by cybmole; 10-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The other problem: It appears that you created 2 different ADE accounts for your devices, rather than add (register) the second device to the existing account.
I agree, the user must have two ADE accounts.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote