Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How to convert DRM Kindle to ePub?

There is a specific book I want to buy, BN sells it for $22 for my nook, but it's only $16 at Amazon for Kindle. Is it possible to buy the Kindle version and get it into an ePub format which I can use?

Thanks.
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Just use the Search button in the upper right corner. There are some working solutions for you around.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
You'd probably have to strip the DRM. If it doesn't have DRM, Calibre should be able to convert it.

Try emailing B&N - see if they'll match the price.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
randyharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Just use the Search button in the upper right corner. There are some working solutions for you around.
I did several searches with relevant keywords and I didn't find any threads on this topic.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Try googling Dark Reverser.

As Rich said assuming it has DRM you'll need to remove the DRM and then you can convert it with a few clicks in Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
randyharris

thanks AO, yes I do use Calibre and assumed it could to the conversion on an unDRM'd Kindle book. It sounds like not all Kindle books have DRM? I wouldn't have expected that. Is there any way to tell before I commit to buying it?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
It sounds like not all Kindle books have DRM? I wouldn't have expected that. Is there any way to tell before I commit to buying it?
Some have said that if it says Unlimited under Simultaneous Device Usage then it's DRM free. I know any DRM free books I have from them say that. Anything from a large publisher though will almost always have DRM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As AnemicOak says, most Kindle books have DRM and if they are DRM-free than its web page will say "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited".

You need a "device" to buy a Kindle ebook, and usually Kindle for PC is your best choice if you don't have a Kindle 1/2/DX. There used to be two ways to strip the DRM from Kindle for PC AZW files (which have the extension .prc). However, the easiest of the two (unswindle.pyw) no longer works with Amazon's latest version of K4PC. The command-line version, skindle.exe, still does work though. Apprentice Alf's Blog is the best single site for DRM discussions, it includes a post on Kindle for Windows.

A DRM-free AZW file is just a MOBI file, and Calibre can convert it to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
I did several searches with relevant keywords and I didn't find any threads on this topic.
Google for "unswindle", enjoy.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The command-line version, skindle.exe, still does work though.
There is EZskindle4PCv1_1 for those who fear the command line.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
There is a specific book I want to buy, BN sells it for $22 for my nook, but it's only $16 at Amazon for Kindle. Is it possible to buy the Kindle version and get it into an ePub format which I can use?

Thanks.
Note if you're in the US stripping the DRM is a violation of the DMCA

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...1----000-.html

and you can be sued

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...3----000-.html

for $200-$2500 for each ebook you strip the DRM from

Quote:
(3) Statutory damages.—
(A) At any time before final judgment is entered, a complaining party may elect to recover an award of statutory damages for each violation of section 1201 in the sum of not less than $200 or more than $2,500 per act of circumvention, device, product, component, offer, or performance of service, as the court considers just.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
and you can be sued for $200-$2500 for each ebook you strip the DRM from
It has never been tested in US federal court whether striping DRM from ebooks you own (i.e. bought from an ebook store) for your own personal use (e.g. using a different ebook reading device) is a protected fair use or not. As a practical matter, this isn't behavior that is likely to ever result in a legal action (how would the copyright owner know, and why would they care?).

This is different from making the copyrighted ebooks available for others to use without authorization, which is certainly unlawful and could have serious consequences.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
It has never been tested in US federal court whether striping DRM from ebooks you own (i.e. bought from an ebook store) for your own personal use (e.g. using a different ebook reading device) is a protected fair use or not. As a practical matter, this isn't behavior that is likely to ever result in a legal action (how would the copyright owner know, and why would they care?).

This is different from making the copyrighted ebooks available for others to use without authorization, which is certainly unlawful and could have serious consequences.
You are probably right but at the same time it seemed only fair to warn someone that what they want to do is unlawful. Maybe if enough people pay attention the law can be modified to account for personal format shifting and backups.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:

Unfortunately, you're not correct. The DCMA made removing digital locks a criminal offense. The fact that no one is enforcing it doesn't mean it's not a law. And with all the zeal of the US govt. to enact the ACTA, the day could come that it IS enforced. The DCMA also specifically states that removing digital locks is not allowable for fair use.

I'm not saying I like it, that's just the law as it was written.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Unfortunately, you're not correct. The DCMA made removing digital locks a criminal offense. The fact that no one is enforcing it doesn't mean it's not a law. And with all the zeal of the US govt. to enact the ACTA, the day could come that it IS enforced. The DCMA also specifically states that removing digital locks is not allowable for fair use.

I'm not saying I like it, that's just the law as it was written.
how is he wrong? He simply stated that removing DRM has never been brought up in court (which is true), and that removing DRM is different than distributing copyrighted works without permission. Also, it is highly unlikely that it'll be brought up in court, due to a lack of knowledge of the act by those with the ability to bring it up in court. Pretty much the only way to get caught doing it is if you go to the copyright owner, tell them you stripped the DRM from your own personal copy, and then force them to press charges against you.

Throughout the post, it was never said it wasn't illegal, just that you're unlikely to get in trouble for it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote