Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 03:20 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm finding THIS piece of software quite useful.

Wavemaker Cards

It is actively supported and V4 is in beta at the moment. V3 is stable.

It is free, and it runs on virtually anything that can use a Chrome browser. ...
It seems to work fine in Firefox under Linux. I didn't try connecting to Google Drive, so maybe that would have caused an issue? More than I really need or want, however. I normally use an editor (JOE) to write so, if I was looking for something online, I would be more inclined to use something like Calmly Writer — which I was just playing around with last night (actually the night before last now).

https://calmlywriter.com/online/

It also comes in a downloadable version with more features. If it was something I really needed I wouldn't have any trouble paying the $11 lifetime license (for three seats). I like the distraction-free mode, especially with the dark background in full screen with the Cousine font. Just a dark screen and white letters, but with a few features tucked away, like bullets, etc.

Looks like it might be good for writing HTML. Unfortunately exporting to text doesn't give you a plain text file. (Even the download version adds extra lines between paragraphs.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #32
BobK99
BobK99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. An answer to my question (maybe not the answer, but worth exploring ;-) )

b

(Other contributors have been welcome, where welcome is a signed variable).
BobK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that a Chromebook only has 64GB storage. Given you need the OS and other software, it's easy to run out of space and not have enough for your Calibre libraries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #34
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Good thing I only said, "Almost all hardware or software prejudices" then!

Wavemaker works with Brave browser as well.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:56 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that a Chromebook only has 64GB storage. Given you need the OS and other software, it's easy to run out of space and not have enough for your Calibre libraries.
I've got a Chromebook with 512 GBs of RAM, so the claim is not entirely true. But I've also run Linux (and the applications I needed) on a 16 GB Chromebook. So it depends on what you need to do how much RAM you need. I didn't have any trouble installing Calibre on a Chromebook, but I never did get the eReader to talk to the Linux side, so no direct communication to Calibre. I think it can be done, but I was too lazy to stick with it.
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #36
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
^ Yup. Far too often we fallible humans assume that our own knowledge and circumstances are the only possibilities. Thankfully most of us are willing to learn better, but there are always a few that seem oddly reluctant to part with their self-centred worldview.

Our little Australian Terrier is like that ... so were the two before that. The little sods are certain the world only spins because they've got four paws on it. I find it an endearing trait in a terrier, in humans, not so much.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got a Chromebook with 512 GBs of RAM, so the claim is not entirely true. But I've also run Linux (and the applications I needed) on a 16 GB Chromebook. So it depends on what you need to do how much RAM you need. I didn't have any trouble installing Calibre on a Chromebook, but I never did get the eReader to talk to the Linux side, so no direct communication to Calibre. I think it can be done, but I was too lazy to stick with it.
How much RAM does the Chromebook have? That 512GB is storage.

From what I've read, most Chromebooks only have 64GB storage.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #38
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:

The really low end ones might only have 64 GB of storage. I have a mid-range one and it has 8GB/256GB with an i5. You can get much better specs than mine, I just don't need it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It's a Dell Latitude e5300 2-in-1 Chromebook. So it's a relatively modern, full fledged, laptop with Chrome OS installed and a touch screen. Mine has 16 GBs of RAM and a 512 GB SSD installed. The maximum memory is 32 GBs and it uses M.2 2280 storage (at the time this originally came out, I think the maximum was 1 TB, but I'm guessing that's gone up since then). Mine has an i5-8365U CPU, but these also were available with Celeron, i3 and i7 CPUs. (You can buy the same model with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled, refurbished, for about $300 -- which would make a great Linux machine.)

I bought the e5300 in used, "unknown" condition (which usually means it won't boot) from Shop Goodwill and it took a while for me to get it to boot and work right (no parts, just patience), but ones like mine originally sold for about $1,600 (I paid about $90). The main reason I wanted it was for the 8-10 hour battery life -- even though I almost exclusively use it for Linux. This computer will run Windows in Parallels, as it's officially supported.

Quote:
32 GBs or 64 GBs are the most common configurations in the cheap Chromebooks -- but you can do quite a bit with either of these. The older ones were 8 GBs and 16 GBs storage (I think even down to 2 GB and 4 GB). But now, you can find quite a few models at 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage and higher. You also have to understand that 8 GBs on a Chromebook (much lighter OS and less hardware intensive than Windows) is much faster than Windows would be with 8 GBs.

I wanted to test Linux on Chromebooks. I like the e5300, but I would just as soon have the non-Chromebook model and just run Linux on it.

I don't know if I'll keep any of the Chromebooks I've collected, but I've had fun experimenting with them.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:01 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The really low end ones might only have 64 GB of storage. I have a mid-range one and it has 8GB/256GB with an i5. You can get much better specs than mine, I just don't need it.
I think those are about the normal specs for i5 Chromebooks now. If you go to Best Buy, search for Chromebooks and filter to i5, almost all of them will have 8 GBs of RAM and 256 GB SSDs. These are really fast with Chrome OS and would run Linux well.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
After looking up Chromebooks with good enough specs, they are too expensive for what you get.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:09 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
After looking up Chromebooks with good enough specs, they are too expensive for what you get.
I basically agree with that (unless you find them used). I'm guessing that most people who buy higher spec Chromebooks are those who've bought cheaper ones and like the simplicity of Chrome OS -- and want a little more "leg room." Also, those who own Chromebooks, often own other computers as well. An inexpensive Chromebook is a convenient way to get online quickly and it's basically cheap enough that most people don't worry so much about it being stolen. On the screenwriting forum I go to, a Macbook user was looking into buying one for writing when at Starbucks because thugs have been stealing people's MacBooks right off the tables. (He lives in the San Francisco area.)

For me, the main draw was long battery life.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #43
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
There is a use case for Chromebooks: a quick boot-up, a nearly flawless updating procedure, no need for snti-virus, access to Android apps and Crostini (a Debian Bullseye Linux Virtual Machine without having to worry about the drivers) . Whenever I installed some Linux distribution myself on a previously Windows machine, I always had driver problems: the monitor being finicky, touchscreen not working and the track pad needing calibration, etc. I have a Lenovo Chromebook (8GB RAM and 128GB storage) with a 14" touchscreen and a backlit keyboard and guaranteed updates till June 2030. The Android apps and graphic Linux programs installed have icons (including AppImages with a bit of work), so I seldom use the terminal - mostly to update the system without waiting for Google to do it.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Oh, someone will do a virus for Chromebooks. They are just small user base.
Spyware and only good value S/H at €150 if a good enough spec for Linux. Barely better than a €200 10" Android tablet with €12 BT keyboard.

The original design goal was a Graphics Terminal for Google Web based services implemented with essentially a Chrome Browser. Chrome OS is a crippled cut down Linux they keep having to add to because an Always-Connected Browser as a laptop doesn't actually work. It's crazier than FireOS, which really just replaces PlayStore and Goolgle surveillance on Android with Amazon. See also dreadful Android TV and Fire TV based TV sets that are like badly implement tablets with no touch and TV channels as an after-thought.

In nearly 25 years I've had less problem with Linux drivers than Windows and in last 8 years no issues at all. My SSD Linux boots faster than Android on anything, though my HDD based Laptop is much slower to boot.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #45
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you do get a Chromebook I strongly suggest getting one where the keyboard either detaches or it folds around to the back. I bought one from google and its keyboard does neither of those. When you run an Android app the screen is in landscape mode so the Android app takes about 1/4th or 1/3rd of the screen in the center with big black unused space on the left and right sides of it; i.e., the Android app runs in portrait mode. You can turn this Chromebook sideways so it's like a tablet and the app fills the screen but then you've got the keyboard sticking out towards you.

An Android tablet can run apps full screen in landscape mode but for some reason this chromebook cannot. It's been awhile since I played with it so perhaps they've fixed this.

Last edited by hobnail; 12-12-2022 at 12:02 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote