Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
StroMotion
StroMotion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Generation (Keyboard)
Unhappy Kindle Updating Fail

I have managed to create a possibly unique issue with my 3rd Generation Kindle while upgrading it to the new 3.4.2 system. It's a B006 device with Free 3G + WiFi, which is why I'm hesitant to just walk away.

I started this morning at version 3.2.1, and successfully installed version 3.3 per Amazon's instructions. Then, like a doofus, I accidentally installed the 3.4 version for the B008 devices. Unfortunately, that actually worked, but post-installation, the device won't recognize either of the updates for 3.4.2. The "Update Your Kindle" option is greyed out not matter which .bin file I drop in there.

Have I completely hosed myself or is there a way to hack my way out of this? Any bright ideas?
StroMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Factory Reset.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
One option for debricking a K3 is to downgrade to an older firmware (with jailbreak pre-installed) with Kubrick. It does not delete your books or registration, but a backup copy is a good idea anyway.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
One option for debricking a K3 is to downgrade to an older firmware (with jailbreak pre-installed) with Kubrick. It does not delete your books or registration, but a backup copy is a good idea anyway.
He didn't say it was bricked just it wasn't recognizing.
I recommend trying a factory reset and if that fails then do KUBRICK.
Remember KISS.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
StroMotion

Factory reset did fail; it wiped the data but kept the firmware intact. I will give Kubrick a shot, thanks.
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Which firmware did it keep intact?
Are you still getting the error message?
Did it wipe out your updates?
If yes, then it didn't fail.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StroMotion View Post
I have managed to create a possibly unique issue with my 3rd Generation Kindle while upgrading it to the new 3.4.2 system. It's a B006 device with Free 3G + WiFi, which is why I'm hesitant to just walk away.

I started this morning at version 3.2.1, and successfully installed version 3.3 per Amazon's instructions. Then, like a doofus, I accidentally installed the 3.4 version for the B008 devices. Unfortunately, that actually worked, but post-installation, the device won't recognize either of the updates for 3.4.2. The "Update Your Kindle" option is greyed out not matter which .bin file I drop in there.

Have I completely hosed myself or is there a way to hack my way out of this? Any bright ideas?
How did you do that?
Those packages are 'model locked'.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have several B008 and many B006 K3s, and I have never seen the problem described. I think there is a different problem, like the 3.4.2 udate file being a bad (or truncated) download. Try downloading a fresh copy and see if that installs.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-18-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

What exactly is your kindle doing?
Is it just the update is greyed out?
That just means there are no more updates.
Can you use your kindle?
If you can use it, it is not bricked.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
StroMotion

On the "model locked" point - that's what I would have thought too, but somehow the B008 3.4 version got installed fine. Why it won't recognize the next 3.4.2 version (I've tried both the B008 and B006 versions from the Amazon updates page, multiple times, and the "Update Your Kindle" option has always been greyed out), I'm not sure.

I'm midway through flashing the device with Kubrick, will circle back on whether that fixes the problem.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
StroMotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What exactly is your kindle doing?
Is it just the update is greyed out?
That just means there are no more updates.
Can you use your kindle?
If you can use it, it is not bricked.
Cinisajoy, sorry for the double post here. My Kindle is actually working fine, no issues at all. I started this morning with version 3.2.1 and made it to 3.4, but after the 3.4 update, I was not able to update it to 3.4.2. I've been doing the updates over USB Transfer and it just won't recognize the 3.4.2 one to enable the "Update Your Kindle" option in settings - it's always greyed out.

Because I can't get to 3.4.2, I can't access the cloud or my archived items, nor can I add new ones, so it's pretty useless although technically it "operates" perfectly well.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
geekmaster

You may have a bad copy of 3.4.2. Try downloading it again.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroMotion View Post
Cinisajoy, sorry for the double post here. My Kindle is actually working fine, no issues at all. I started this morning with version 3.2.1 and made it to 3.4, but after the 3.4 update, I was not able to update it to 3.4.2. I've been doing the updates over USB Transfer and it just won't recognize the 3.4.2 one to enable the "Update Your Kindle" option in settings - it's always greyed out.

Because I can't get to 3.4.2, I can't access the cloud or my archived items, nor can I add new ones, so it's pretty useless although technically it "operates" perfectly well.
No worries on the double post.
Here is where we had a communication breakdown.
Had you just said I installed the first two updates but the third one failed, then the first suggestion would have been try the download again.
Because you said you thought you bricked the kindle, we figured it wouldn't do anything and hence the unbrick directions.

Anyway welcome to the forum and hope we get it working.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
StroMotion

Success guys. Kubrick reset with a clean install of 3.4 got it to the point where it recognized 3.4.2, and with that update it's now working fully. Thanks for the help everyone. Gonna have to go make a Loatian literacy donation.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Fantastic. Thanks for the update.