Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #16
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
So it works both ways. Too many oddly named sub-genres can be a turn off as well as an invitation. Had I been asked how to describe Jim Butcher's work, I would have called it something like "Crime/Mystery, with a magical twist". "Urban Fantasy" seems like an artificial jumble of unrelated words to me. An attempt to distinguish the genre as something different from all the rest, but doing so in a relatively meaningless way. Basically, it is just plain old Crime/Mystery. With a twist of the occult added. It's not really a "new genre" IMHO.
Urban Fantasy isn't Crime/Mystery with an occult twist, it's more like contemporary novel with an occult or supernatural twist. It can be crime, but it can also be romance, or family drama, or "someone is trying to destroy the world (or the city or something) and we need to stop them", or something else.

I agree that the genre name isn't very good. But then I don't think "science fiction" is a very good name either. I understand the problem you mention, but it seems to me that -- rather than hoping that the weird genre names drop out of use -- it would be better if you (and others) learn that good books can have weird genre names attached to them.

Last edited by hildea; 05-12-2022 at 03:33 PM.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:24 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I understand the problem you mention, but it seems to me that -- rather than hoping that the weird genre names drop out of use -- it would be better if you (and others) learn that good books can have weird genre names attached to them.
Hear, hear.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #18
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Adding a lot of nonsense characters to LGBT+ seems awfully like mocking to me. If I'm wrong, and that's a real acronym, I'd appreciate a link to help me learn better.
You are getting closer to understanding my point, but you're not quite there yet. I will try to restate it slightly differently: There are so many different genres of books, and letters in the gender/sex alphabet that I was using as a comparison, that even someone claiming to be part of the group they represent doesn't know if what I typed is real or not (e.g., your admission of "If I'm wrong...") This is a fine example to illustrate my point that there are too many subclassifications to be useful to the general public. Many people not personally invested in one of these book genres, or gender/sex alphabet letters as a comparison, don't know what it's supposed to mean. Too many subclassifications to remember, thus not very useful. Which was the point.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is a fine example to illustrate my point that there are too many subclassifications to be useful to the general public.
No. You've only illustrated that you feel there are too many subclassifications to be useful to you. Besides... they don't all need to be useful to the general public to still be useful (and even valuable) to many.

It's not a requirement that the general reading public have a complete understanding of what every single subgenre or subclassification means. Nor should the general reading public need to fall back to some sort of least common denominator approach to genre simply because some choose to let themselves be overwhelmed by variety/change.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-12-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. You've only illustrated that you feel there are too many subclassifications to be useful to you.
Well, of course. That's because it is MY opinion. YOUR opinion is obviously different. We're having a discussion. So that pretty much means I state MY opinion and you state YOUR opinion. We're just bantering back and forth here, with lots of people stating THEIR opinions. Were you expecting an exchange different from that?
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, of course. That's because it is MY opinion. YOUR opinion is obviously different. We're having a discussion. So that pretty much means I state MY opinion and you state YOUR opinion.
Sorry. But which part of "illustrate my point that there are too many subclassifications to be useful to the general public" suggests you were only speaking for yourself, and not, in fact, the general public?

Quote:
We're just bantering back and forth here, with lots of people stating THEIR opinions. Were you expecting an exchange different from that?
At a minimum, I was expecting an exchange where people make at least a small effort to say what they mean.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-12-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #22
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
...which part of "illustrate my point that there are too many subclassifications to be useful to the general public" suggests you were only speaking for yourself...
The part where I said my point, highlighted above for your convenience.

Your point is that there are NOT too many subclassifications to be of use to the general population, my point is that there ARE. We are bringing up differing points, based on the way we see things differently. I am obviously speaking for myself, just as you are speaking for yourself. The explanation really can't get any more "duh" than that.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:19 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The part where I said my point, highlighted above for your convenience.
Yeah. Nice try.

Quote:
Your point is that there are NOT too many subclassifications to be of use to the general population...
Nope. Allow me to return the favor of highlighting for the sake of "convenience". It IS rather fun!

Quote:
No. You've only illustrated that you feel there are too many subclassifications to be useful to you. Besides... they don't all need to be useful to the general public to still be useful (and even valuable) to many.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard

I shall leave you to argue with yourself.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:33 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I shall leave you to argue with yourself.
You didn't think this was going to be the type of exchange where you get to completely misrepresent someone else's point while accusing others of the same did you?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-12-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #26
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
You are getting closer to understanding my point, but you're not quite there yet. I will try to restate it slightly differently: There are so many different genres of books, and letters in the gender/sex alphabet that I was using as a comparison, that even someone claiming to be part of the group they represent doesn't know if what I typed is real or not (e.g., your admission of "If I'm wrong...") This is a fine example to illustrate my point that there are too many subclassifications to be useful to the general public. Many people not personally invested in one of these book genres, or gender/sex alphabet letters as a comparison, don't know what it's supposed to mean. Too many subclassifications to remember, thus not very useful. Which was the point.
I see I should be less subtle when I try to be snarky. To be more explicit: I'm sure your letter salad was pulled out of thin air. I still think that amounts to mockery.

Quote:
Yes, exactly! I don't get why haertig seems to misunderstand you.

haertig, say someone coins a new term for a subgenre today. * picks up a dictionary, opens it at random, looks for an adjective... OK, "herbal" * Say someone decides that -- hmm, herbal literature, herbal fantasy, herbal crime, herbal horror, that's nicely alliterative, let's go with that -- "herbal horror" is a useful term to describe something that is, to them, an interesting subset of books. I've no idea what kind of books that would be. I don't read much horror, so odds are that's not a genre for me, but if I stumbled across a blog post describing this genre I'd be intrigued enough to skim it. If it sounded like something I want to read, I'd have a new search term when looking for books. If not, I'd ignore it. If I searched for books some other way, and found a book which was tagged with "herbal horror" in addition to terms I knew and liked, I wouldn't let an unfamiliar term keep me from reading it, although the "horror" part might make me look a bit closer before I chose to buy it.

Same with gender and sexuality. There are terms I don't know for some of the subtler nuances of those. But as long as those terms are useful to some people, they don't need to be useful to me.

When I come across an unfamiliar term, I'll either ask, look it up, try to infer the meaning from context, or ignore it. Its existence doesn't harm me.

Last edited by hildea; 05-13-2022 at 01:43 AM.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #27
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Not understanding what a particular sub genre is, in particular Urban Fantasy which is fairly well defined, in a day and age where the majority of us have neigh unlimited access to the internet is on the person not the sub genre. And let’s please put aside the counters of there are people without smartphones and good internet, smartphones have become the defacto mobile phone you have to go out of your way for a dumb phone. As to internet even back in the 1400 baud modem days looking up words wasn’t particularly difficult and most of those afflicted with sub genres as a concern are going to have access to far faster connections be it on a phone or computer.

Having 6 billion sub genres would also not hinder the general public for the simple fact that they don’t ever need to interact with those sub genres only those seeking out books that would fit in the sub genre and those trying to sell a book that fits would actually need to. It’s not like those who want more sub genres are insisting that physical stores be broken down to represent them (though I know BN did at one point have cozy mystery within mystery), so knowledge of the large umbrella terms of fantasy or science fiction would still expose those browsing shelves in a physical store to the same books. Meanwhile Digital stores don’t suffer the same limitation as physical, a single book can be in however many sub genres it needs to be.

I will say that the Amazon example is one I’d think is useless because at that point you’re splitting hairs to try and make a difference. But grimdark vs noblebright have clear differences.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:14 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
herbal horror, that's nicely alliterative
Not in American.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Reminds me of those 70s Glade commercials.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:52 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...it seems to me that -- rather than hoping that the weird genre names drop out of use -- it would be better if you (and others) learn that good books can have weird genre names attached to them.
Don't presume too much about me. I wouldn't avoid (or purchase) any book solely based on genre tags attached to them (except 'herbal horror'. Maybe I should start up herbal horror fandom). Reading your own post, it sounds like you wouldn't either. So in the end, those sub-sub-subgenres are of limited to no use.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote