Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Looking for sci-fi books of a certain flavour

Thought I may as well post here.

Basically: Looking for books that give the same feel as the Mass Effect games, though perhaps with a wee bit less cosmic horror robot squids trying to exterminate everyone. Basically, less "fighting evil aliens trying to invade Earth" and more "befriending cool aliens." Also preferably said aliens aren't just funky-looking humans.

If it's on Overdrive, all the better. I've got access to a couple of libraries and I think some of them take requests.

Here's a few that I've read so far.

Ones I liked:

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Becky Chambers) -- Yes. This is pretty much what I'm looking for. I've already got the second book from the series on my wishlist.

Ones I didn't like:

The Right to Arm Bears (Gordon R. Dickson) -- To be honest, the only thing I really remember about this was a feeling of vague frustration while reading it.

Space Opera (Catherynne M. Valente) -- I wanted to like this. The premise sounded really neat. But I think the author might've been overdosing on energy drinks and sugar while writing it because very sentence was some runon monstrosity that veered in a thousand different directions and ended with a punchline. It was... very difficult to follow.

Ones that I'm undecided on:

Stardoc (S.L. Viehl) -- This was also pretty close to what I was looking for and I was enjoying it... well, up until a certain disturbing scene that left me feeling pretty icky (since I shouldn't describe it on a family-friendly forum, check the 1-star reviews). It kind of spoiled my feeling for the entire book. Less of that, please.

Chilling Effect (Valerie Valdes) -- I'm some 40% through this. I think I'm enjoying it so far. That might change.

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-09-2022 at 01:15 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Liaden series. Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

The Clutch Turtles are generally regarded as cool

Not in every book so start with

Agent of Change which is free
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Thought I may as well post here.

Basically: Looking for books that give the same feel as the Mass Effect games, though perhaps with a wee bit less cosmic horror robot squids trying to exterminate everyone. Basically, less "fighting evil aliens trying to invade Earth" and more "befriending cool aliens."
I don't know anything about "Mass Effect" but for humans-meeting-aliens stories some things come to mind:

Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan
The three books in the Species Imperative series by Julie Czerneda (Survival, Migration and Regeneration)
Mission of Gravity and Star Light by Hal Clement
Eifelheim by Michael Flynn
Semiosis and Interference by Sue Burke
Hellspark by Janet Kagan (though there's much about divergent human cultures and not quite as much contact with the aliens until later in the book.)
The Starbridge series by A.C. Crispin

I quite liked the Stardoc novels, but if you found the first one somewhat disquieting then I'd recommend staying well clear of the rest.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks you both. I'll take a look through.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hospital station books by James White.
Gordon R Dickson's Hoka books.
Demon of Undoing by Andreas Alton.
Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Looking for books that give the same feel as the Mass Effect games
No idea what Mass Effect Games are.

James White is good anyway.
Eifelheim by Michael Flynn is on my TBR pile. It's got aliens?
Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement was good.
On the third hand, what about Niven's Motie books and Ringworld books?
Maybe some Ursula Le Guin SF (but not the Lathe of Heaven)
C J Cherryh's "The Cucko's egg", but I might be confusing it with a different C.J. Cherryh book with aliens.

(also there are Ray McCarthy's Talent Universe. Starship Chief has only aliens, but Solar Alliance of the Talents Universe is mostly on Earth. Last two appear mostly complete)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Also, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote Footfall. An alien invasion by a species with a herd mentality.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Eifelheim by Michael Flynn is on my TBR pile. It's got aliens?
It's got one species of aliens.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Also, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote Footfall. An alien invasion by a species with a herd mentality.
Apache
Almost parody & satire. Brilliant. Curiously Jerry DID advise NASA and the idea was seriously considered in era of prototype nuclear powered aircraft, nuclear Zeppelin proposal, digging out canals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...ear_propulsion)
Old 02-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpegg View Post
It's got one species of aliens.
I will move it up the TBR pile.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Almost parody & satire. Brilliant. Curiously Jerry DID advise NASA and the idea was seriously considered in era of prototype nuclear powered aircraft, nuclear Zeppelin proposal, digging out canals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...ear_propulsion)
That is why I liked it. Niven and Pournelle wrote some great books together.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
You could try Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy. I'm a huge ME fan and I enjoyed them.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thanks everyone. I've added a lot of books to my wishlist.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:34 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Okay, I wanted to wait until others with more knowledge answered, as I am unfamiliar with Mass Effect (though I do have the trilogy of Mass Effect novels the game's creator wrote on my TBR).

Anyway, isn't David Brin's Uplift Saga starting with Sundiver sort of what you are looking for? (Please forgive Sundiver's awful current cover. The book is a classic, inspite of the current cover looking like it is rusting on the shelf.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Okay, I wanted to wait until others with more knowledge answered, as I am unfamiliar with Mass Effect (though I do have the trilogy of Mass Effect novels the game's creator wrote on my TBR).
They're good! Except Deception. It was written by a different author who didn't really understand the franchise and as such there's a lot of lore mistakes.

Also, this. Cue the 'cereal killer' jokes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-11 11_24_13-Deception [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	454
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	192266

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-11-2022 at 10:28 AM.