Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #301
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can I call it binge watching the Stanley Cup playoffs when the games are live?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #302
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
I opted to watch a streamed film last night for a change, and wasted several years of my life (well it seemed like it!) watching the dire 2022 remake of Stephen King's 'Firestarter'. As I remember,the book (1980) was not all that good in the first place and the 1984 first film version was pretty poor.
This one is down there among the all-time clunkers of misbegotten tripe that should never have been made (IMO)
I've found that very few remakes (like the 'new' Firestarter or the 'new' Carrie, etc.) are worth investing even 5 minutes. I live in dread that some maroon will remake classics like Casablanca (Barb Wire doesn't count and that was actually fun, if cheap), the Thin Man (HERESY!!!) , The Maltese Falcon, or the like.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 01:17 AM   #303
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Over the weekend I watched the first three episodes of We Own This City on HBO, a very good series by the creators of The Wire. It's got the same vibe. Today episode 4 should be available.

Other than that I've been watching Time Team from the start. Most episodes are now available for free on YouTube (they're in the process of releasing season 18 at the moment). It's great for when I'm cross stitching.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:23 AM   #304
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I've found that very few remakes (like the 'new' Firestarter or the 'new' Carrie, etc.) are worth investing even 5 minutes. I live in dread that some maroon will remake classics like Casablanca (Barb Wire doesn't count and that was actually fun, if cheap), the Thin Man (HERESY!!!) , The Maltese Falcon, or the like.

Hitch
I agree. There are some good remakes (the new It, especially the first film), but most I'm hesitant to watch.

I'm also hesitant to watch movies based on books, especially if I read, and liked, the book. I'm afraid the movie will ruin the book for me. There are some good movies, some are even better than the book (Inkheart comes to mind). But I've seen too many that don't live up to expectations. The same goes for TV series. Often the movie isn't as much "based on" a book, but more "inspired by" the book.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #305
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
The same goes for TV series. Often the movie isn't as much "based on" a book, but more "inspired by" the book.
Perhaps "vaguely inspired by" might be closer for the most of the videos based on books that I've seen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #306
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps "vaguely inspired by" might be closer for the most of the videos based on books that I've seen.
à la the new Perry Mason, which has a character named Perry Mason, one named Della Street, one named Paul Drake and yes, so too Ham(ilton) Burger, but after that, bears absolutely ZERO resemblance to any Perry Mason in history--either the books, the original movies or the original TV show(s).

Not a bad show, mostly, in its own right, more or less (although the season finale had ZERO emotional payoff, mind you....), but Perry Mason? Not remotely.

Hitch
Old 05-20-2022, 12:46 AM   #307
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I watched the documentary series The Staircase (French made) on Netflix last week. I binged the last 9 episodes Friday night. For the past two days I have been re-watching the HBO series with the same title (Colin Firth) and the new episode 5 that dropped today.

I'm recovering from Wednesday cataract surgery on the 2nd eye. The first one came out so well that I had 20/20 vision the next day at the follow up. But at my follow up appointment for this one, I took off the clear patch and I had cloudy vision. So I'm taking it very easy, napping, watching TV and trying to get to bed earlier. Tomorrow I can finally sleep in. Wednesday I had to get up at 5am for the surgery and today 7:30 for the follow-up appointment. I am not a morning person and I'm retired.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #308
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
*snip*

Quote:
Every once in while I get in a mood where I just don't know what to watch and nothing catches my fancy. Usually watching movies for a while works. Sometimes I just start a new series or season and hope it'll interest me.
I get this way often too ... my solution is to watch non-English police procedural series - so far French are the best, with German and Scandinavian closely following. I got used to watching TV with closed captioning so it's no problem following the plots. I hate dubbed versions.

Discovered a gem - Astrid et Raphaëlle - a whimsical police procedural pairing a street-smart female cop with an autistic Criminal Records clerk with an eidetic memory. The pairing is terrific - Sara Mortensen and Lola Dewaere - who are comediennes as well as actors - their on screen timing is hilarious. The series is very sympathetic and informative about people with autism or Aspergers, while still presenting seemingly impossible murders with many twists.

The first season aired on PBS Masterpiece as Astrid - with English cc. I found some episodes of season two on You Tube, also with English cc. If anyone knows where to stream/watch all of season 2 I'd appreciate it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #309
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Astrid is great - also liked Paris Murders, Candace Renoit, and Captain Marleau - I think I've posted recommendations for them here before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
*snip*

I get this way often too ... my solution is to watch non-English police procedural series - so far French are the best, with German and Scandinavian closely following. I got used to watching TV with closed captioning so it's no problem following the plots. I hate dubbed versions.

Discovered a gem - Astrid et Raphaëlle - a whimsical police procedural pairing a street-smart female cop with an autistic Criminal Records clerk with an eidetic memory. The pairing is terrific - Sara Mortensen and Lola Dewaere - who are comediennes as well as actors - their on screen timing is hilarious. The series is very sympathetic and informative about people with autism or Aspergers, while still presenting seemingly impossible murders with many twists.

The first season aired on PBS Masterpiece as Astrid - with English cc. I found some episodes of season two on You Tube, also with English cc. If anyone knows where to stream/watch all of season 2 I'd appreciate it.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #310
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Astrid is great - also liked Paris Murders, Candace Renoit, and Captain Marleau - I think I've posted recommendations for them here before...
Thanks for the recs! I've also discovered and am starting Luna+Sophie, a German odd-couple pairing of female detectives.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 05-21-2022 at 06:16 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #311
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm away for the weekend with my sister. So far we've watched a bunch of films:

The House of Gucci: meh, not my thing, though my sister really enjoyed it

Encanto: we both loved this movie, but we usually like Disney animated films

The Matrix: Resurrection: okay, I thought it leaned too much on the previous films. I suspect this movie is really a set up for a continuation of the series.

We're not sure what to watch tonight, the movies my sister wanted to see we've now seen. So she's going to let me choose. The things I still want to watch aren't things she likes. So we'll probably going to see if the series The Nevers is something we like.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #312
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
*snip*

My watch list for non-English and non-Dutch series and film is long. I like to keep my hands busy when watching TV, so I'm often sketching or cross stitching. I can't do those things if what I'm watching is in a language I don't understand. But I will need to get to those series and movies, I might do a summer challenge that each night I watch TV I have to watch something non-English; one movie or episode of a series or something.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #313
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm away for the weekend with my sister. So far we've watched a bunch of films:

(snippage)

The Matrix: Resurrection: okay, I thought it leaned too much on the previous films. I suspect this movie is really a set up for a continuation of the series.
Man, I thought that was uniquely bad. Worse, in some ways, than the whole "oh, we forgot about rescuing humankind entirely" ending of the 3rd film, which was....frustrating.

OTOH, I am going to admit a pathetic fondness for the latest Ghostbusters movie (Afterlife). I was NOT amused or really entertained by the all-girl one--kinda fell flat on its face. There are complaints that Afterlife is nothing but a love letter to the Ghostbusters' fans and it definitely is. IF you are a GB fan and your eyes don't mist up at a certain section at the end, you're not paying attention. :-) (And as Mr. H will tell you, I never cry at movies, or the like, but I admit, this one gave me a small catch in my throat!).

The little girl star is really quite good.

Hitch
Old 05-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #314
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Man, I thought that was uniquely bad. Worse, in some ways, than the whole "oh, we forgot about rescuing humankind entirely" ending of the 3rd film, which was....frustrating.

OTOH, I am going to admit a pathetic fondness for the latest Ghostbusters movie (Afterlife). I was NOT amused or really entertained by the all-girl one--kinda fell flat on its face. There are complaints that Afterlife is nothing but a love letter to the Ghostbusters' fans and it definitely is. IF you are a GB fan and your eyes don't mist up at a certain section at the end, you're not paying attention. :-) (And as Mr. H will tell you, I never cry at movies, or the like, but I admit, this one gave me a small catch in my throat!).

The little girl star is really quite good.

Hitch
I thought the female version of Ghostbusters was okay-ish. It did try too hard to be funny, though.

I did love Afterlife, I might rewatch it tomorrow with my sister.

We've just watched the first episode of The Nevers, which we liked enough to continue with.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:49 PM   #315
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I thought the female version of Ghostbusters was okay-ish. It did try too hard to be funny, though.

I did love Afterlife, I might rewatch it tomorrow with my sister.

We've just watched the first episode of The Nevers, which we liked enough to continue with.
I liked the Nevers, too. Didn't love it--it was a bit strident at points (women power!) Seems like it's been a while since the first/last season, though. Hmmm.

Hitch