Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Bob17821
Bob17821 began at the beginning.

Device: Audible
Audible for Amazon Audio Books?

I'd like to get my first audible book. From the Amazon site I got the impression that I'd need a reader called "Audible". But I don't see a forum for Audible here. What reader do I need for an audible book ordered from Amazon? I am looking for a reader which will Bluetooth interface with my car.

Thanks Much, Bob
Bob17821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
My Paperwhite will play audible books. And you can download the audible app to your phone and tablet
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
With the Audible app, I think you need to Login with Amazon (use your Amazon credentials). Don’t create a separate account with Audible, in other words.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob17821 View Post
I'd like to get my first audible book. From the Amazon site I got the impression that I'd need a reader called "Audible". But I don't see a forum for Audible here. What reader do I need for an audible book ordered from Amazon? I am looking for a reader which will Bluetooth interface with my car.
While there's no Audible forum here, there is an Audiobook forum you might find helpful: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=267

Also, while some Kindle ereaders will play Audible audiobooks, I find the Audible app much better. I use the app on my phone and tablet. More info from Audible: https://www.audible.com/howtolisten
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Also, while some Kindle ereaders will play Audible audiobooks, I find the Audible app much better. I use the app on my phone and tablet. More info from Audible: https://www.audible.com/howtolisten
IMO, the app is a real mess now, and there are no recent signs of improvement. The filters are not implemented correctly (you should be able to select more than one at a time), and (with Premium) it’s impossible to distinguish between purchased and ‘borrowed’ (from Plus catalog or Kindle Unlimited) content. The Genres are messed up (I have 2 named ‘History’ with different items in them). It let me create two Collections with exactly the same name. I could go on…

But main problem is no time to actually listen to anything.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
IMO, the app is a real mess now, and there are no recent signs of improvement ...
I can't imagine the audiobook function on an eink Kindle is better than the smartphone/tablet app, so given a choice between the two ...
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:49 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I can't imagine the audiobook function on an eink Kindle is better than the smartphone/tablet app, so given a choice between the two ...
Functionally, Kindle is just fine at playing audiobooks. However it does not offer access to Audible Plus content (including Podcasts), if you have Audible subscription, and if you use collections with them, the Audible app won’t know about them and vice versa. It doesn’t know which audiobooks are Read with Audible app and vice versa. And having enough storage can be an issue as base models only have 8GB (more like 7.4GB). But at least reading position does sync with the Audible app.

I almost never listen to audiobooks with anything but my smartphone, and it is too much of a pain to dedicate a BT speaker/headset to Kindle just to listen to an audiobook on it, so I never do. That might change if Kindle ever supports TTS again, or it ever supports Immersion Reading.