Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #1
UzayerM
UzayerM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (5th Gen) & Kobo Aura HD
Post Kindle PW1 Bricked, screen works fine, no touch

I jailbroke my Kindle Paperwhite (5th gen) a few weeks ago, it worked just fine. Two weeks ago, my kindle's touch just froze while reading, then I just left it and the touch came back in the morning, the second time this happened, I kept it like that for a few days, then attached the power cable and restarted it, the touch came back, now this is the third time, what should I do? The screen works fine, and I was able to recover the documents folder, then I did a manual factory reset. Still doesn't work.
UzayerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I think in this case the word is: "Broke" not "Bricked".
It could not have anything to do with the jail break.
It is very unlikely that it had anything to do with any of the add-ins you got from this site, I can not recall any of them having anything to do with the touch screen part of the system.
(and I have been here since before Kindles had touch screens)

Did you restore the jail break after you erased most of it with the factory reset?
Did you restore whatever of our add-ins you had installed after you restored the jail break?
Have you dumped the system messages and read them, looking for any clues in the system log(s)?
What did you find?

What firmware version is your PW1 running?

Go to the main screen, in the search bar, enter:
;dm
the semi-colon is part of the dump messages command.

That will generate four new text documents that you can read on the Kindle.
But due to the long lines, is a lot easier to read on your PC.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
UzayerM
UzayerM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (5th Gen) & Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I think in this case the word is: "Broke" not "Bricked".
It could not have anything to do with the jail break.
It is very unlikely that it had anything to do with any of the add-ins you got from this site, I can not recall any of them having anything to do with the touch screen part of the system.
(and I have been here since before Kindles had touch screens)

Did you restore the jail break after you erased most of it with the factory reset?
Did you restore whatever of our add-ins you had installed after you restored the jail break?
Have you dumped the system messages and read them, looking for any clues in the system log(s)?
What did you find?

What firmware version is your PW1 running?

Go to the main screen, in the search bar, enter:
;dm
the semi-colon is part of the dump messages command.

That will generate four new text documents that you can read on the Kindle.
But due to the long lines, is a lot easier to read on your PC.
To answer your questions:
1.) Only the first time, not after that
2.) I did after the first time, not after time
3.) No, I don't know how to do that
4.)--
5.)Version 5.6.1.1

My touch is frozen, I can't see the system logs, I did a factory reset, it's at the "choose language" page, it's been that way for a few days now. It just says "inset a disk into drive F" whenever I try to open the kindle's drive through my pc. So I can't view and or retrieve them.
UzayerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I am still having trouble understanding what you mean by the title you gave this thread.

And you make no specific mention of when or by how much you have recharge the Kindle during the course of your story.
This may be 'normal operation' and a fully discharged battery.

Put the device on a known good wall charger using a known good USB cable and leave it there for a few days. And I do mean days, not minutes or hours. There are conditions that can take several days to correct.

It may be busy, trying to make internal corrections during a normal re-boot.
Or have stalled during that process due to a low battery.

- - - -

The e-ink display is meta-stable.
It will display (for years - like ink on paper) what was last written on the screen.
Even without power.

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2017 at 06:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, jailbreak kindle, kindle paperwhite, no touch