Speareader
Speareader began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Unhappy I need help to un-brick it

Let me start with what I did to get to this point:
1. I rooted the device when it had the 1.0.05 firmware
----- did not use it for about a year
----- decided to read some of the books on my sd card
----- installed Sony's application for Windows and saw that new firmware is available. So without even researching, pulled the trigger and installed 1.0.07
----- did not like it and there was no way to root it, and wanted to go back to 1.0.05

2. After a bit of research found out that in case to downgrade the firmware i need to edit the hex values from 1.0.07 to 1.0.03.
3. got the mmcblk2.img, edited the values, put it back and restored it to the device

4. Obviously something got screwed and now I'm stuck with flashing screen whenever I turn on the reader. (Once it stops flashing, gets vertical black line that occurs in different parts of the screen)

NOTE: The reader is not recognized as usb device nor in serial connection
Tried rupor-rescue but I can't get it to be recognized (I am using Linux and Windows).

I also have a backup of the mmcblk2.img and was thinking if there was a way to write a script that can be triggered on boot from the SD Card to restore the working image...

Any help is appreciated!!!
Speareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Unbricking method here (use Porkupan's rescue package since the uboot link is dead): https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS...C_sd_rescue.29

But since it sounds like you now have a mixed firmware version, see if this post helps: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=5

I actually have a full guide I wrote if you need more help.

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-25-2017 at 12:13 AM.
DoctorM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Speareader
Speareader began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Thank you for the reply DoctorM!

The problem is that Prokupan's rescue package does nothing for me. Tried rupor-rescue as well. Nothing is being displayed on the screen, on boot it flashes a few times and then nothing, the yellow light is blinking and then reboots. I guess it's in a boot-loop.

Basically, I can't get it to a state (recovery mode) where I can access it via
USB.

I might have bricked it to a point where nothing can be done... But I prefer
to think that there is a solution for every problem
Speareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
That's... weird. I'm afraid that was the extent of my knowledge. I hope someone else can help.
DoctorM is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, flashing, prs-t1, screen