Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm nominating Human Game: The True Story of the 'Great Escape' Murders and the Hunt for the Gestapo Gunmen (2013) by Simon Read. (Subtitle is Hunting the Great Escape Murderers in some countries.).
The Great Escape is a book I read and reread as a kid; I wouldn't need to refresh my memory of it. None of my ten OD libraries has it, but I note that it's cheap in the UK.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Around The World In Eighty Days

I’ve focused on the adventure of navigating a labyrinth, and nominate Michael Palin’s caper, Around The World In Eighty Days. It’s from the travel diary that Palin kept during the 1989 BBC series of the same name. In the spirit of duplicating travel conditions at the time of Fogg’s adventure, no air travel was allowed on Palin’s quest.

Quote:
Amazon: “Following the route taken by Phileas Fogg 115 years earlier, Michael Palin set out from the Reform Club to circumnavigate the world. The rules were simple, but nothing else about the trip was straightforward...

From a tour of Venice on a rubbish barge to ship spotting at the Suez Canal and the bicycle rush hour and snake snacks in China, this is an unparalleled tribute to man's ability to make life difficult for himself.”
Palin’s book got a 4.4 rating on Amazon, and a 3.99 rating at Goodreads, and a 4 with Kobo (but Kobo only had 2 reviewers ).I debated whether to nominate this or Jules Verne's original, partly because I suspect Palin’s book may be a light read. However, some reviewers raised the issue of racism in Verne’s treatment of other cultures.

In the end, I landed on Palin’s diary because the documentary was one of my favourite BBC productions, I thought this might be fun to read, and travel could spark some lively discussions.

Samples Kobo: $6 US; $6 CDN; £6 UK; $17 New Zealand; $14 Australia
Samples Kindle $5 US; $6 CAD; £6UK; $5 New Zealand; $15 Australia
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm struggling too. I had one book in mind that is tangentially related to the theme (mostly I'm trying to fit it somewhere) but it is less than a year old anyway and a bit on the expensive side still. I should be able to fit it into one of the new themes after it is old enough (and hopefully less expensive).

For ideas, I am more focusing on the "Quest" part of the theme. Maybe a good telling of the search for the Holy Grail, or the seach for the Lost City of Gold, Shangri-La, or King Solomon's Mines? Something where the protagonists have a definite goal.
I thought about Lost Horizon and Shangri-La too. Something about that legend is so alluring and really captures the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird It's awfully tempting to nominate this:

The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code

It couldn't be a better fit by name, I own it and I'd like to read it. However, it's a little on the pricey side and popular history books haven't worked out that well for us. But I haven't entirely eliminated it from consideration.
I think it sounds fascinating. I’m excited to follow up, even if you don’t nominate it. Thanks.
(Edit - just wanted to pass on that a number of reviewers found it difficult to see the symbols / text on the kindle version)

Last edited by Victoria; 05-01-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's awfully tempting to nominate this:

The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code

It couldn't be a better fit by name, I own it and I'd like to read it. However, it's a little on the pricey side and popular history books haven't worked out that well for us. But I haven't entirely eliminated it from consideration.
When I looked this up at my library, I was intrigued by another book from this author: Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer. Its publication date would put it thisclose to being eligible for June.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #20
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
I'm nominating Human Game: The True Story of the 'Great Escape' Murders and the Hunt for the Gestapo Gunmen (2013) by Simon Read. (Subtitle is Hunting the Great Escape Murderers in some countries.)

Amazon US, $12.99

Kobo US, $12.99
Kobo Canada, CDN $13.99
Kobo Australia, AU $8.99
Kobo NZ, NZ $9.99
Kobo UK, £3.99

Audiobook and e-book available in Overdrive.
A quest for justice - such an excellent interpretation of the theme! And it fits it literally as well. I heard stories about this growing up, because a friend of our family was a POW in that camp. He had tuberculosis and was in an isolation unit, so didn’t participate at all. However apparently a Acadian man from the village next to ours was there as well, and was involved in helping to plan. He was later invited to see the premiere of the movie, when it came out.
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Oooh! That sounds very interesting. My library even has a copy. I can already see this will be a bad month for my TBR list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I thought about Lost Horizon and Shangri-La too. Something about that legend is so alluring and really captures the imagination.
Lost Horizon is one of many books that I discovered through the book club even though it was never a selection. (Runner up in March 2015 my notes say.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
A quest for justice - such an excellent interpretation of the theme! And it fits it literally as well. I heard stories about this growing up, because a friend of our family was a POW in that camp. He had tuberculosis and was in an isolation unit, so didn’t participate at all. However apparently a Acadian man from the village next to ours was there as well, and was involved in helping to plan. He was later invited to see the premiere of the movie, when it came out.
The last of the Great Escapers, Dick Churchill, died earlier this year: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47257570

He was one of the men recaptured but was not executed because the Nazis apparently thought he might be related to Winston Churchill: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...execution.html

I've always loved the movie version, which led me to Paul Brickhill's book long ago. A few years back I read Tim Carroll's book The Great Escape from Stalag Luft III, which adds to the story and does include some information about the Gestapo killers and how they were hunted down.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it sounds fascinating. I’m excited to follow up, even if you don’t nominate it. Thanks.
(Edit - just wanted to pass on that a number of reviewers found it difficult to see the symbols / text on the kindle version)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Oooh! That sounds very interesting. My library even has a copy. I can already see this will be a bad month for my TBR list.
Given the support, I'm going to nominate The Riddle of the Labyrinth, but I won't get it up until tomorrow. Maybe the Minotaur will get a mention at that!
Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I've always loved the movie version, which led me to Paul Brickhill's book long ago. A few years back I read Tim Carroll's book The Great Escape from Stalag Luft III, which adds to the story and does include some information about the Gestapo killers and how they were hunted down.
Also worth reading is The Wooden Horse by Eric Williams, about another noteworthy escape from Stalag Luft III.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
The last of the Great Escapers, Dick Churchill, died earlier this year: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47257570

He was one of the men recaptured but was not executed because the Nazis apparently thought he might be related to Winston Churchill: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...execution.html

Thanks for the great links Catlady! It’s quite humbling to read what these men, and that whole generation, endured through WW II. Your links led to more links - so many remarkable stories!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #26
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Correction: I mentioned a family friend who was a prisoner in the POW camp had TB. However, this recent article only refers to an injury, so I was mistaken. I realize the chances of anyone seeing my earlier post and recognizing T. Hatfield are slim to none. However, I felt I should correct the record.

https://www.thevanguard.ca/community...w-camp-257317/
Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Silverlock, by John Myers Myers.

A book that starts with "If I had wanted to live, I would have died. . . "

With enough references to write a concordance as long as the book, without ever being pedantic or stuffy.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Given the support, I'm going to nominate The Riddle of the Labyrinth, but I won't get it up until tomorrow. Maybe the Minotaur will get a mention at that!
Seconded. And already added to my TBR.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The previous discussion and nominations have realigned my sights a little...

I nominate Duncton Wood by William Horwood.

Quote:
Enter the magical, colourful, poignant world of Bracken and Rebecca, Mandrake the tyrant, Boswell the scribe, Hulver, Comfrey... and all the other moles of Duncton Wood. Set deep in the English countryside, this enchanting story tells of an ancient community losing its soul - but saved by courage and love.
730 pages (in paperback)

Here are some example links/prices:
Amazon US - USD$2.51 | Amazon UK - £1.99 | Amazon CA - CDN$2.99 | Amazon AU - AUD$3.69 | Kobo US - USD$2.99 | Kobo UK - £1.99 | Kobo CA - CAD$2.99 | Kobo AU AUD$4.99 | Kobo NZ NZD$4.99

Also see Goodreads.

It's a little like Watership Down by Richard Adams, including the fact that it can be quite violent. And it's a little like the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis, in that religion is quite clearly part of this story. But it's also very much its own story. When I last read it 10 years ago I enjoyed it very much, although perhaps not with the full enthusiasm of my youth.

Do not be concerned that it looks like the start of a series; this first book was not written with any intention of a series. It was only 8 years later that Horwood decided to cash in on this book's success. (That's a bit cynical sounding, the next 5 books are quite good, although with rather more extreme violence.) The story definitely covers both the "Labyrinth" and "Quest" elements of our theme.

Having been a very popular book in its day I suppose many of you may have read it already ... not that it matters.

At the risk of putting down my own nomination, I will say that Dunction Wood is Horwood's first book, but not his best. That honour, IMO, goes to either The Stonor Eagles or Skallagrigg - these both got a 5/5 from me. (I have not yet tried his more recent Hyddenworld fantasy series.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Minotaur or not , I third this. It sounds very interesting to me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote