Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Again, what will be our youthful perusal in May?
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle 4 44.44%
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Runoff Vote for May 2019 • You're Never Too Young: Children

This is a runoff vote to select the book we'll read and discuss in May 2019!

We love new participants. We're happy for you to vote, but we'd like to request that you not vote unless you plan to join the discussion whatever the selection, in the interest of a vibrant conversation. So if you haven't posted in a book club thread yet, do please say a quick hello here or in the Welcome thread.

Vote for one. Questions? FAQs | Guidelines Or just ask!

Choices:

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
$11 AU; $14 NZ; $8 CA; $7 US; £2UK
Spoiler:
Quote:
“Out of this wild night, a strange visitor comes to the Murry house and beckons Meg, her brother Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O'Keefe on a most dangerous and extraordinary adventure - one that will threaten their lives and our universe.

Winner of the 1963 Newbery Medal, A Wrinkle in Time is the first book in Madeleine L'Engle's classic Time Quintet.”
228 pp.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Amazon $8.99
Spoiler:
Quote:
After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family...
325 pp.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I won't vote unless there's another tie, but I admit I'm rooting for the new-to-me Graveyard Book.
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Decisions, decisions. I'm going to have to think on this one -- I voted for both in the original poll, so I'd be happy to read and discuss either. But which one if there's only one? Hard choice.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Decisions, decisions. I'm going to have to think on this one -- I voted for both in the original poll, so I'd be happy to read and discuss either. But which one if there's only one? Hard choice.
I know. I was pulling for Airman, but at least I can still read it. Participating in the book club seems to increase my TBR list by 4 or 5 new interests each month.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I know. I was pulling for Airman, but at least I can still read it. Participating in the book club seems to increase my TBR list by 4 or 5 new interests each month.
That has been the experience of many of us. Just thinking about books to nominate usually triggers several "trips" to the library and an increase in my TBR. But then everyone else starts nominating, and my TBR is out of control. Again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'm hoping A Wrinkle In Time wins, as I just bought it anyways. . . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I put The Graveyard Book on hold at OverDrive and it just hit my account. I think it's meant.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
After much back and forth, I finally decided to vote for the book I want to read (rather than the book I have read and know I will read again soon even without prompting from here).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
The suspense is killing me! Go Gaiman!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

And, another tie! Which I am duly breaking with my vote for The Graveyard Book and have altered the results to reflect it
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My library has two audiobook versions, one narrated by the author (I tend to avoid author narrations) and the other calling itself a "full-cast" narration (I am not especially fond of audiobooks that have one narrator for the narrative and multiple narrators for dialog). Any opinions?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My library has two audiobook versions, one narrated by the author (I tend to avoid author narrations) and the other calling itself a "full-cast" narration (I am not especially fond of audiobooks that have one narrator for the narrative and multiple narrators for dialog). Any opinions?
I looked at those two options and decided to go for C; read it. Author narrations are generally dreadful and I'm not fond of full cast recordings unless, y'know, it's a play.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I looked at those two options and decided to go for C; read it. Author narrations are generally dreadful and I'm not fond of full cast recordings unless, y'know, it's a play.
I'll never get through it without an audiobook--which isn't a commentary on the selection, just a reflection of how infrequently I am willing to read from a screen these days.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Wow! I’m excited to get a nomination through! It’s not the usual type of book that I read, but I really enjoyed his children’s book Coraline. I also enjoyed Neverwhere. I never would have read that book if it weren’t for the old MR book club selecting it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Wow! I’m excited to get a nomination through! It’s not the usual type of book that I read, but I really enjoyed his children’s book Coraline. I also enjoyed Neverwhere. I never would have read that book if it weren’t for the old MR book club selecting it.
I liked Coraline also.