Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's inherently unfair to deprive people of something they've already paid for.
You are not being deprived. You are just taking an entrenched position that if isn't your way, it is unfair. I think you are trying to make credits out to be the same thing as a gift certificate and it is not. If you can step out of that, you will see that provided you were told before you quit that you would lose these credits if you don't use them first, it's perfectly fair. It just doesn't fit your usage needs. The fact that Downpour allows you to use those credits for a year after you quit is simply making their business model different from Audible in order to compete.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
They cancelled my membership and put me on a special membership (I don't think it's advertised) to keep my credits active. It was either $10 or $15 and is basically no membership but with active credits. I was happy, because even with the extra cost factored in I still had a lower cost-per-audiobook than any other plan I think.
I think this is membership lite. It is also probably what is most frustrating to those who bought the credits all at once - will this be available to extend the use of their credits? We don't know. Not mentioned in the blurb about it.

Yeah, I switched from the monthly plan to the 12 credits all at once one also. While I still have 6 credits, I have plenty of stuff in my wishlist to justify my $9.xx that I paid per credit. I think it makes it harder to use credits when you paid $14.95 for it and many of the books you are interested in are available for a member price of less than that $14.95.
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd have say using your credits (if you're overrun with them) on books that you may not love is still going to be more cost effective than re-upping just to preserve them for something "better." There's a point of diminishing returns, I think.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #34
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd have say using your credits (if you're overrun with them) on books that you may not love is still going to be more cost effective than re-upping just to preserve them for something "better." There's a point of diminishing returns, I think.
Oh, I agree, but having the option is helpful, IMHO. I have a large wishlist, so have no problem using up credits, but someone maybe in their second year is looking for the perfect book rather than a random book. I suppose it depends on what interests you, how much you read, etc. Instead of $14.95 per book, you add that $10 Audible Lite and it rises another buck a book.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not at all in this case. For me it was definitely worth the (low) cost to keep my credits active and able to use as I please. People who know me know that I do not often like to buy books ahead of time; I prefer to buy as the need arises. I realise that is the antithesis of the way most posters here buy books but it's just the way I prefer it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Not at all in this case. For me it was definitely worth the (low) cost to keep my credits active and able to use as I please. People who know me know that I do not often like to buy books ahead of time; I prefer to buy as the need arises. I realise that is the antithesis of the way most posters here buy books but it's just the way I prefer it.
Well, yes. But that's because you took proactive measures to preserve your credits. You called, you switched plans--you otherwise managed your credits. That's as it should be if you value them. I'm mainly talking about people who do nothing. Those who keep the same plan (and never put it on hold) and keep buying more credits just to keep the account open in the misguided hope they're going to "catch up" some day. The ones who get hopelessly behind and then complain about losing credits (and the money they chose to throw after those credits they couldn't find the time to use). Be realistic about what your (rhetorical) audio-book needs are and change/hold/cancel your membership accordingly.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Ah, okay. Yes, they'd do well to follow that advice.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #38
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I was on a monthly plan for several years and had many books I wanted to get. I got those books through time, and there were a few more that came out I was very interested in. Then I ran out of things I wanted to purchase. There are several times I purchased nothing for several months. My credits built up and once our twice I bought something just to use a credit, and I've also lost a credit because I accumulated more than 5. I eventually used all my credits and canceled my plan. But I still lost credits. I maintain the wording was ambiguous. "You can only accumulate 5 credits" with no mention that they would still charge.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #39
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
"You can only accumulate 5 credits" with no mention that they would still charge.
I wonder if this will change. I see this as a problem. If they do not stated you will lose credits after you have accumulated 5 but you will still be charged, then yes the company is at fault.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I wonder if this will change. I see this as a problem. If they do not stated you will lose credits after you have accumulated 5 but you will still be charged, then yes the company is at fault.
My understanding is that this was one of the things the class action suit was about: a lack of clarity about rollover credits and charges incurred. And it's apparently why Audible has initiated a new policy about when credits expire, and about sending regular notifications to members about the state of their credits.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #41
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I joined Audible in 2006 when it was 5 books a month for $20. I also got a free Rio 500 for joining, which cost $350 in the stores at that time. I quickly got a second account so I could get another free Rio 500. I did tell them what I was doing and they were okay with it.

I kept 2 accounts going for about 10 years, getting 10 books a month. I never had any problems finding enough books. I never listened to that many a month but I was retired and I wasn't sure if I might end up in a nursing home with the health issues I was having then and I was buying for the future.

They have such a huge selection that I never had enough credits to get all the books I would like to have bought.

I did cancel a few years ago but all of my books are still available. I've never had anything but good feelings about Audible. They make their options plain. I always knew what I could and couldn't do. If I screwed up they always found a way to make it okay.

My guess is that this thing about losing credits is one of the ways they keep the cost of the plan down.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I used to be an Audible member. I was clearly told by their customer service department that I'd lose any accrued credits when I cancelled my account.
Do you still have access to the books you bought with credits after you cancel?

I've suspended my account as I have far more audible books than I can read. You can only suspend for so long. I'm looking to cancel and then re-up some time in the future.

But I'd HATE to lose all my audible books
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Yes, you do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I've suspended my account as I have far more audible books than I can read. You can only suspend for so long. I'm looking to cancel and then re-up some time in the future.

But I'd HATE to lose all my audible books

I have cancelled and restarted my membership numerous times. I have never lost a single audiobook file.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I have cancelled and restarted my membership numerous times. I have never lost a single audiobook file.
Ditto
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote