Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Window size not saved

Window size always reverts to the default. Am I mis-remembering, or weren't window sizes saved with the document in previous versions? I've noticed this since updating to 0.9.12 on MacOS.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Window sizes were never saved on a per-document basis that I know of. The size of the last Sigil window closed will (or is intended to) be the one that's saved for the next Sigil launch. Do all of the dockwidgets retain their sizes and location?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... The size of the last Sigil window closed will (or is intended to) be the one that's saved for the next Sigil launch ...
I'm on a Mac using 0.9.12 (previously 0.9.10) and what DiapDealer said is how it usually works for me.

Though sometimes Sigil "forgets" and the window size & position unexpectedly reverts to default. I've never been able to figure out what triggers this, but I suspect it has something to do with my dual-monitor set-up.

P.S. I should add that when I first started using 0.9.12, it reverted to default window size/position several times, then it started "remembering". I'm not sure what changed. Such things are a mystery to me

ETA: I figured it out! See Post #12 below.

Last edited by odamizu; 04-06-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: solution
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Window size also get confused if you have 2 instances of Sigil in use
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Window size also get confused if you have 2 instances of Sigil in use
Thanks for that insight! I will pay more attention to how many Sigil windows I have open and the order in which I close them
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
... when I first started using 0.9.12, it reverted to default window size/position several times, then it started "remembering". I'm not sure what changed. Such things are a mystery to me
Interestingly, after installing 0.9.13 over 0.9.10 prefs, this problem recurred. I made several attempts at re-sizing and re-positioning the window, but darned if Sigil wouldn't remember. I then deleted everything in my sigil.ini except [shortcuts] and [user_preferences] and Sigil immediately started remembering the window size/position. It seems there was something in my 0.9.10 prefs that wasn't palatable to 0.9.13 as far as remembering window size/position goes.

ETA: See post #12 below

Last edited by odamizu; 04-06-2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: solution
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please remember, the settings ini files are not changed when window size changes, but instead when exiting Sigil. So for example, if you open Sigil with no ini files at all you will see that behaviour. The first thing I do when I open Sigil without any ini files at all is to set each window to the size I want, and then exit Sigil to have those settings remembered. This will now work from here on out as the ini file will be available for use to help widgets remember their last settings.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #8
odamizu
just an egg

ETA: See post #12 below

Thanks Kevin. I think there must be something weird about my Mac (10.13.6), or maybe it's my dual-monitor set-up, as Sigil is not behaving the way you're describing (unless I'm not understanding you, which is possible, as this is all a bit above my head).

In any case, I have the windows happily where I want them to be. I am not reporting a bug. But in case this is of interest to you or anyone else, this is what I've tried:

1) Install Sigil 0.9.13 with Sigil 0.9.10 preferences already in User > Library > Application Support > sigil-ebook > sigil. When 0.9.13 opens the first time, the window is in default size/position. I re-size and re-position it, then close the window and quit Sigil. When I re-open Sigil, the window is back to default position. I open and re-size/re-position more windows, closing and quitting several times, but every time I re-start Sigil, the window is back to default size/position.

2) I quit Sigil, delete all preference files and do a clean install of Sigil 0.9.13. When 0.9.13 opens the first time, the window is in default size/position. I re-size/re-position it and close the window. I do not quit Sigil. Instead, I open a new file, and the window is re-sized and re-positioned exactly where I want it to be. Perfect!

3) I quit Sigil, delete all preference files and copy over preference files from 0.9.10. I open sigil.ini and delete everything except [shortcuts] and [user_preferences]. When 0.9.13 opens the first time, the window is in default size/position. I re-size/re-position it and close the window. I do not quit Sigil. Instead, I open a new file, and the window is re-sized and re-positioned exactly where I want it to be. Perfect!

Thank you for all the time and energy you put into maintaining Sigil and providing support to simple-minded users like me

Last edited by odamizu; 04-06-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: solution
Old 03-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd chalk it up to some sort of corruption in your existing ini files. Sigil 0.9.11/12 raised the possibility of ini file corruption to brand-new heights, but it's not impossible that your 0.9.10 inis had some corruption, too (even if they were untouched by sigil 0.9.11/12). There's a rich history of QSettings botching things over the years. And deleting the Sigil.ini has always been a go-to method for trouble-shooting Sigil issues.

Just happy it's working for you now!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
It does look a corrupted sigil.ini file.

I removed mine, and everything seems to be working fine as before.

Thanks for the suggestion -- and for all the great work on the software.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:49 AM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Apparently I spoke too soon, because the window size/position started reverting to default again ... <snip>

Last edited by odamizu; 04-05-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
odamizu
just an egg

I figured out what's going on, at least on my Mac, and it has nothing to do with corrupted ini files or anything like that.

If I have the Find/Replace box open when I close an ebook window, the next window I open reverts to default size/position. Re-sizing/re-positioning the window then closing it, does not help. The new size/position will not stick as long as the Find/Replace box is open when I close.

However, if I close the Find/Replace box before I close the ebook window, then the size/position is saved, and the next ebook window opens in the same size/position as the last window opened.

Steps to reproduce (on my Mac):

Spoiler:
  • Delete entire Sigil preferences folder and restart Sigil to create all new preference files.
  • Open new window. Re-size and re-position as desired. Close window.
  • Open new window. New window appears in the same position and size as previous window.
  • Open Find/Replace box. Leave it open and close the ebook window.
  • Open new window. Window reverts to default size/position. Re-size/re-position window then close window. Open new window and it reverts to default size/position. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Window reverts to default size/position every time when the Find/Replace box is open when I close it.
  • Close Find/Replace box. Re-position/re-size window and close. Open new window. Size and position are now retained and are same as the last window opened.

I don't know if this is known and expected behavior or something peculiar to my Mac. I also suspect this was happening in 0.9.10 and is why the window would sometimes "mysteriously" (to me) revert to default window size/position. I usually keep the Find/Replace box closed for a cleaner window, so on the less-common occasions that I leave it open when closing, it would result in the next ebook "inexplicably" opening in the default window position.

In any case, closing the Find/Replace window before closing a window solves the problem. I report this in case it's helpful to anyone

Last edited by odamizu; 04-06-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for that last bit. That sort of jives with a bug that affects some linux systems RE the F&R widget. Although the overall Window size doesn't seem to be affected on Linux, when the F&R widget is open when exiting Sigil, the central dock area (Code View/Book View) will expand (when sigi! is next opened) and "smoosh" the left and right dockwidget areas down to almost nothing. The same workaround prevents it.

So in short: it's not just you!
But this is the first I've heard of something similar to it happening on a Mac. This one has been on my radar for a while now.

P.S. Do you typically have the Sigil Window maximized when you use it? Whether or not the Sigil window is maximized when closing also seems to have some sort of bearing on this bug (at least on the affected Linux systems).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-06-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... a bug that affects some linux systems ... when the F&R widget is open when exiting Sigil, the central dock area (Code View/Book View) will expand (when sigi! is next opened) and "smoosh" the left and right dockwidget areas down to almost nothing. The same workaround prevents it.
That's interesting. When I start 0.9.13 for the first time after a clean install and add the Preview pane on the right side (on top of Table of Contents), it will "smoosh" the Code View and Book Browser areas. After re-positioning it, if I type in the Code View area, it immediately smooshes again! I discovered I have to position all the panes and then close the ebook window. After that, nothing gets smooshed ever again. (This only happens the very first time I add the Preview pane after a clean install.)

Quote:
P.S. Do you typically have the Sigil Window maximized when you use it? Whether or not the Sigil window is maximized when closing also seems to have some sort of bearing on this bug (at least on the affected Linux systems).
Nope, I never have it maximized. I now suspect this is related to my dual-monitor set-up since the monitors are different size with different resolution.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That sounds very similar. It has to be related. The more pieces to the puzzle I find, the better. Thanks! Gui-stuff isn't really my forte, but if I hammer at it long enough, I'll eventually get it.