Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GeoffR: Unpatched H2O. (Initial settings: NO page numbers, footer+header).

(fbgrab capture, to avoid Nickel's shenanigans with the top-11 pixels on the H2O).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mt-h2o.png
Views:	363
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	168345   Click image for larger version

Name:	mt-h2o-pn.png
Views:	339
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	168346   Click image for larger version

Name:	mt-h2o-no-footer.png
Views:	327
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	168347   Click image for larger version

Name:	mt-h2o-no-footer-no-header.png
Views:	323
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	168348  
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #17
Imprevist
Imprevist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
Hello and thanks for your work on getting these patches out. When will the 24 line spacing option be included? I love that and rely on it but saw that it wasn't available in the patch yet. Thank you!
Imprevist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
And here are screenshots on my Aura Ed 2 without patches.

So, I noticed one thing. When the reduce header menubar patch is applied, the header shrinks (compare this one with my previous set of screenshots). I'm going to try reducing the header menu to 0 and see how tall it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	322
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	168352   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	287
ID:	168353   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	316
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	168354   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	295
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	168355  

Last edited by geek1011; 12-14-2018 at 04:08 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprevist View Post
Hello and thanks for your work on getting these patches out. When will the 24 line spacing option be included? I love that and rely on it but saw that it wasn't available in the patch yet. Thank you!
When GeoffR can find enough spare time to do the necessary work. I believe it's the most complicated one to do.

In the meantime you could enable the 'My 10 line spacing values' instead, until 'My 24 line spacing values' becomes available. This is what I do.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
When GeoffR can find enough spare time to do the necessary work. I believe it's the most complicated one to do.

In the meantime you could enable the 'My 10 line spacing values' instead, until 'My 24 line spacing values' becomes available. This is what I do.
Yep. It is the most complicated (and I don't even use it), along with the epub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins patch. That's why I only update the others. I don't want to update something which I don't understand completely, especially one as long as it. I'm working on figuring out exactly how it works though.
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Imprevist
Imprevist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage

Thanks I tried that but I actually need more line spacing. This was too extreme on the short end.

Yep. It is the most complicated (and I don't even use it), along with the epub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins patch. That's why I only update the others. I don't want to update something which I don't understand completely, especially one as long as it. I'm working on figuring out exactly how it works though.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I'll patiently wait
Imprevist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
geek1011
Wizard

So here's the really interesting screenshots. This was taken with my usual patch configuration, but instead of reducing the header menubar by 33%, I reduce it by 100% (to 0px).

Now, when the title is shown, there is not anymore margin! I think we have almost found the patch. And also, we know now that there is a fixed margin at the top and bottom when it is hidden. I'll measure it in a moment, and see if I can find anything like it in the firmware.

Edit: So, I've measured the screenshots, and it seems that the top/bottom margin when hidden is 32px on my Aura Ed 2. When the top is showing, the top margin is based on the menubar height, which can be controlled by the custom header menubar reduction nickel patches (I'll calculate it later). The bottom margin is controlled by libnickel, and is not based on the menubar height, but by the height which can be patched by one of GeoffR's.

Here is the result:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001_footer.png
Views:	338
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	168357   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002_none.png
Views:	331
ID:	168358   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003_header_footer.png
Views:	324
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	168359   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004_header.png
Views:	327
ID:	168360  

Last edited by geek1011; 12-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If someone has this firmware installed on a lower-resolution device such as Touch or Glo, could you post a screenshot of the first page of this test ePub please?
Kobo Touch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_20181214_225520.png
Views:	275
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	168366   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20181214_225837.png
Views:	276
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	168367   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20181214_225919.png
Views:	274
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	168368   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20181214_230003.png
Views:	267
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	168369  
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just enabled the patch for to increase the chapter progress graph. Very nice!

I haven't updated my firmware since 3.15.x. A lot of cool and helpful patches. Kudos.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Kobo Touch
So the margin is 24px for the touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I haven't updated my firmware since 3.15.x. A lot of cool and helpful patches. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GeoffR: Unpatched H2O. (Initial settings: NO page numbers, footer+header).
And 44px for the H2O.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #26
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
geek1011: I started using your patches a few months ago and can't thank you enough for these. Also, thank you very much for finding time in your busy schedule to get these versions for the December firmware out so quickly. Happy holidays to you!
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
geek1011: I started using your patches a few months ago and can't thank you enough for these. Also, thank you very much for finding time in your busy schedule to get these versions for the December firmware out so quickly. Happy holidays to you!
No problem! And the same to you!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
ePub header size approx 3% of screen height

Thanks for all the screenshots, it looks like the size of the ePub header when the title is hidden is approximately (but not precisely except for the Touch) 3% of screen height, or 4% of screen width.

Touch: 24px
Aura2: 32px
H2O/Clara: 44px
Forma: 56px

I'm guessing other devices will use one of those four sizes as well.

Edit: It could be the header size is being calculated as: divide screen width by 100, round to nearest integer, multiply by 4. I think that would fit all the examples so far. Or else they could just be hard-coded pixel sizes.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-14-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ... calculated as ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #29
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think these residual "header" & "footer" whitespace areas when Show Title/Footer are both Off exist to accommodate the 'Quick Page Turns' feature.

The footer contains the 'change turning speed' slider and the header contains the 'position in book' progressbar.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #30
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
@geek1011, thank you very much for all your efforts with the patches.
Thanks also to @GeoffR and all the others who are always busy helping out.

This time I have a little problem with this version. If I activate the patch »»» Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen «««, the bat file does not create the archive (KoboRoot.tgz). I have tested it on my Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition.

Below my kobopatch.yaml (In the original, the individual patches are each four spaces away from the left margin.):

Spoiler:
## Works with kobopatch v0.12.0 and later.
## You can update kobopatch by downloading the latest release from https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/releases.
version: 4.12.12111
in: src/kobo-update-4.12.12111.zip
out: out/KoboRoot.tgz
log: out/log.txt

patchFormat: kobopatch

patches:
src/nickel.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
src/libadobe.so.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0

## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces. Add to the
## section below. This section can be copy and pasted into newer patch versions to
## keep your selections.
##
## Example of how it should look:
## overrides:
## src/nickel.yaml:
## Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
## Whatever the yaml is called: no
## src/libadobe.so.yaml:
## You get the idea: yes
overrides:
src/nickel.yaml:
Show all games: yes
Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
Change pop-up footnote font-family: yes
Disable reading footer: yes
Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
Custom synopsis/font size: yes
New home screen increasing cover size: yes
Fix reading stats/author name cut off when series is showing: yes
Custom menubar - reduce height by 50%: yes
Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
Changing the info panel in full size screensaver- beta 1: yes
Increase the cover size in library: yes
Increase the view details container size: yes
Increase size of kepub chapter progress chart: yes
Custom font to collection and author titles: yes
Increase headlines font: yes
New home screen subtitle custom font: yes
Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: no
src/libadobe.so.yaml:
src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Rename new home screen footer: yes
Set slide to unlock: no
Enable rotation on all devices: no
Both page turn buttons go next: no
Both page turn sides go next: no
Rename settings: no
Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen: yes
Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading: no
Set reading footer height: no
My 24 line spacing values: yes
Custom left & right margins: yes
Custom font sizes: yes
Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
ePub fixed top/bottom margins: yes
Custom kepub default margins: yes
Custom footer (page number text): yes
Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: yes
Set KePub hyphenation: yes
Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs: yes
Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): yes
Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): yes
ePub constant font sharpness: yes
KePub constant font sharpness: yes
Always display chapter name on navigation menu: yes
KePub stylesheet additions: yes
Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: yes
Clock display duration: yes
Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta: yes
Wikipedia Search language: yes
src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
Default ePub monospace font (Courier): yes
Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): yes
Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): yes

## TRANSLATIONS ##
# Optional, use only if lrelease is not in PATH and if translations are needed
# lrelease: /path/to/lrelease

# Uncomment the following to add translations (replace lc with the language code)
# translations:
# src/whatever.ts: usr/local/Kobo/translations/trans_lc.qm

## ADDITIONAL FILES ##
# Uncomment the following to add additional files to the tgz (like init scripts or hyphen dicts)
# The files will be root-owned, and world readable, writable, and executable (0777)
# files:
# src/whatever.txt: usr/local/Kobo/whatever.txt
# src/whateverToPutInMultiplePlaces.txt:
# - usr/local/Kobo/location1.txt
# - usr/local/Kobo/location2.txt
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching