Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #61
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
No, simply enable the patch "Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen" in nickel.yaml

Thank you. I was asking about the old method though - as I am lost with the yaml method - I don't understand what I should do and how. I did download the "comments" but that was no help.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #62
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'm one of the old dogs, lost with the new method. Do you know if I can add the previous patch to remove the footer in your nickel patch?

Spoiler:
patch_name = `New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 4.6.9660 - 4.8.10956+
Yes that patch should work, although I haven't tried it myself. In general with those multi-version patches if you copy and paste the patch from the previous version, and no error occurs while generating the KoboRoot.tgz, then it should work okay on the new version.

Edit: Oh, but see the warning in Dirk-71's post #3. The same problem will apply whichever patch method you use.

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-27-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Warning
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #63
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. I was asking about the old method though - as I am lost with the yaml method - I don't understand what I should do and how. I did download the "comments" but that was no help.
It should work, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=7.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Would you like some help setting up the new yaml method? If so, please see post #29 above to get the ball rolling.

I can only speak for myself but I'd rather spend 2 hours helping someone move forward than 2 minutes helping them stand still.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #65
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Would you like some help setting up the new yaml method? If so, please see post #29 above to get the ball rolling.

I can only speak for myself but I'd rather spend 2 hours helping someone move forward than 2 minutes helping them stand still.
Dear Jackie,

I promise I will seriously try to learn, and I will take the time, and the offers to help - thank you! - , but later, for the next F/W I'm interested in.

I am on the go until mid-October, with short periods (once just 2 days) at home with my PC. so I got discouraged, and I do want to leave next with two functioning readers, and preferably with the annoying bug GONE. I'm speaking of cycling through the options for the footer.

Best
Advert
Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #66
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
It does work, thank you.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #67
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Yes that patch should work, although I haven't tried it myself. In general with those multi-version patches if you copy and paste the patch from the previous version, and no error occurs while generating the KoboRoot.tgz, then it should work okay on the new version.

Edit: Oh, but see the warning in Dirk-71's post #3. The same problem will apply whichever patch method you use.
Thank you. Dirk's warning applies to a different patch (renaming footer, not removing same). I checked the keyboard anyway, and it is fine.
I have some time tomorrow and I'll try it all on the One.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #68
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
It would be nice if Dirk could update his warning, so it doesn't cause confusion.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #69
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I am also struggling with this new method. It is my understanding that if I edit the override section of kobopatch.yaml to include the patches I want to enable, then I do not need to enable those patches inside the individual yaml files (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, etc.). Is this correct? But the only way the patches are actually enabled is if I edit each yaml file and enable them there. I use Notepad++ to edit kobopatch.yaml, and I make sure each override is indented 4 spaces, but if "enabled: no" is in the yaml file, then that patch is not enabled, even though it is set to "yes" in kobopatch.yaml. Am I misunderstanding how kobopatch.yaml is supposed to work?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I am also struggling with this new method. It is my understanding that if I edit the override section of kobopatch.yaml to include the patches I want to enable, then I do not need to enable those patches inside the individual yaml files (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, etc.). Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct.

Quote:
But the only way the patches are actually enabled is if I edit each yaml file and enable them there. I use Notepad++ to edit kobopatch.yaml, and I make sure each override is indented 4 spaces, but if "enabled: no" is in the yaml file, then that patch is not enabled, even though it is set to "yes" in kobopatch.yaml. Am I misunderstanding how kobopatch.yaml is supposed to work?
If you can zip up all your .yaml files into a single zip and attach them here, I'll troubleshoot them if you like.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #71
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you can zip up all your .yaml files into a single zip and attach them here, I'll troubleshoot them if you like.
Thanks. Attached.

Last edited by icallaci; 05-24-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. Attached.
There are 5 small errors are in the overrides: section of your main kobopatch.yaml file. If you correct those you should be fine.

Corrections marked in bold red:
Spoiler:
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Custom reading footer style: yes
    Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%: yes
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    My 24 line spacing values: yes
    Custom left & right margins: yes
    Custom font sizes: yes
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
    ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins: yes
    Custom kepub default margins: yes
    Set KePub hyphenation: yes
    Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs: yes
    Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
    Always display chapter name on navigation menu: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
    Default ePub monospace font (Courier): yes
Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #73
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
There are 5 small errors are in the overrides: section of your main kobopatch.yaml file. If you correct those you should be fine.[/CODE][/SPOILER]
Aha! Thank you! I mistakenly zipped up the wrong kobopatch.yaml (one I had used to test various possibilities), so I had already corrected the .patch extension to .yaml. It turns out it was the "Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%" instead of "Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%" that was causing the problem. I had copied a sample override section from an early post and added my own patch preferences, and somehow that one either slipped through or I introduced it myself. Thank you so much. It all works perfectly now.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #74
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you so much. It all works perfectly now.
Glad to hear it
Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #75
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just to be clear, I highly recommend the new system kobopatch, although I didn't install FW 4.10.11591 (no mark 4).

Here are the advantages of kobopatch as I see them:

1) Folding all patches, seeing all the patches in a small area (notepad++ Alt+0)

2) Patching directly CSS streams, have the ability to edit patches in nickel.ymal file like `New home screen increasing cover size` patch.

3) Saving patches enable options in configuration file kobopatch.ymal so you can use it in the next firmware.

4) Separating custom patches from the included ones, let say you want to enable the patch `Custom reading footer style` but you don't want to edit it every firmware, add a ymal file (name like my_nickel.ymal) to src folder and copy the patch to it and edit, copy the file to next firmware folder.
Edit:You need to set the file in kobopatch.ymal.

Last edited by oren64; 08-29-2018 at 01:04 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching