Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #8191
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Anyone familiar with the Rivers of London series? I see Nick Frost is bringing it to TV - sounds like it could be good?
A very good series. I highly recommend it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #8192
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Always looking for good authors that I haven't read yet. I've picked up the first one to see what it's like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #8193
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Always looking for good authors that I haven't read yet. I've picked up the first one to see what it's like.
Oh, GOOD, me too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #8194
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Apache
Thanks - I'm almost done with Dept. Q (had to work in the latest Expanse book when it came off hold) so I'll give it a shot next...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #8195
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I didn't care too much about the first book in the series, but the next installments were great.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #8196
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was pretty good. I've already moved on to book 2.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #8197
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I didn't care too much about the first book in the series, but the next installments were great.
Tox--which series? Do you mean Dept Q, or the other?

Hitch
Old 05-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #8198
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Apache
I agree. Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch is very good.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-04-2019 at 03:36 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #8199
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Tox--which series? Do you mean Dept Q, or the other?

Hitch
Rivers of London. I recommend the series, but don't judge it on the first book.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #8200
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Rivers of London. I recommend the series, but don't judge it on the first book.
OK, thanks--good to know.

H
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #8201
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was pretty good. I've already moved on to book 2.
I've been binge reading the Rivers of London series. I'm just starting book 6. I really like it so far.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 AM   #8202
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
I've been binge reading the Rivers of London series. I'm just starting book 6. I really like it so far.
Beyond the story line of the books, the author has an impressive knowledge of London and its history.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #8203
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Beyond the story line of the books, the author has an impressive knowledge of London and its history.
I wouldn't know about that, since I have a very cursory knowledge of London. Having finished book 7 (and pre-order his next two books for this year (I suspect one is some sort of novella)), I did find it interesting to try to figure out some of the slang he used.

Another thing that he and Butcher have in common is they have both drifted a bit into comic books. I had to look fairly carefully a couple of times. I have nothing against comic books, mind you, just not my cup of tea these days.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #8204
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I wouldn't know about that, since I have a very cursory knowledge of London. Having finished book 7 (and pre-order his next two books for this year (I suspect one is some sort of novella)), I did find it interesting to try to figure out some of the slang he used.

Another thing that he and Butcher have in common is they have both drifted a bit into comic books. I had to look fairly carefully a couple of times. I have nothing against comic books, mind you, just not my cup of tea these days.
Ditto. I nearly bought a Dresden "graphic novel" myself, accidentally. I'm sure they're great, but...not my thing. It's bloody hard to get my Dresden fix, and Simon Green's stopped writing the Darkside novels, d*mmit...

Hitch
Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #8205
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ditto. I nearly bought a Dresden "graphic novel" myself, accidentally. I'm sure they're great, but...not my thing. It's bloody hard to get my Dresden fix, and Simon Green's stopped writing the Darkside novels, d*mmit...

Hitch
Benedict Jacka has another Alex Verus novel coming out in September. I've got it on pre-order.

Jacka and Aaronovich seem to be the only authors I've run across who seem to a similar feel to their urban wizard books to the Dresden books. Most the others seem to be more in the urban wizard/romance genre.

I will say that Simon Hawke's Wizard of 4th Street series, an old series from the late 80's, early 90's, is another series that some what reminds me of Aaronovich's books.

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-09-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy