Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #2866
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
B&N
Kobo

I agree, for the same reason that I liked Blade Runner better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The film adaptations were changed enough that there's no scene-to-scene comparison ("That's not how it happened in the book!"). Additionally, both books are good, but neither aged particularly well. Both exhibit "women, amirite?" sexism and distractingly anachronistic visions of a dystopian future common in early SF, but smoothed out of the later films.
Make Room! Make Room! and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I've just resolved to make both part of this year's reading challenge. I've meant to read both for quite a while.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #2867
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's a movie only addition

Not every story needs a dramatic twist ending. But for the story being told and the point being made, that ending was so perfect that I have to wonder if Harry wasn't kicking himself for not having thought of it.
Many years ago I was in the audience of a talk by Harry Harrison, and the topic of "Make Room! Make Room!" and "Soylent Green" came up.

He absolutely _hated_ that film, and excoriated whoever was responsible for that twist. He named the name, but it escapes me now. However I do recall him noting that whoever it was "rapes puppies at midnight".

I still, somewhere, have my autographed (and by now very battered) copy of "Bill the Galactic Hero" from that evening. He wrote "Bill Lives!" above his signature.
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote