Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #286
sekazi
Enthusiast
sekazi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It depends how hard it would be to modify the cover layout code. I'll have a look later, but it'll probably be too complex to be worth making.
Is there instructions somewhere on how you find the files you are editing?
sekazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #287
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
Is there instructions somewhere on how you find the files you are editing?
It's all in libnickel and nickel. For libnickel, you need to disassemble it with something like Hopper, objdump, or IDA (but don't use Radare, it's too slow for this). For nickel, most of the useful stuff can be extracted with cssextract (comes with kobopatch).

It's the kind of thing you learn by taking a look and trying different things. For CSS, the Qt docs document the properties, and for the disassembly, ARM Kiel has useful information.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #288
sekazi
Enthusiast
sekazi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017
Thanks for the info. Do you know what device name the Forma would use? The list in this thread did not specify it since it was prior to its release.
sekazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #289
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know what device name the Forma would use? The list in this thread did not specify it since it was prior to its release.
For patching purposes, in most (all???) places it's the same as the AuraOne, namely "qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true", although the actual name for the Forma is Frost.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #290
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Once again, I can't thank you enough for your efforts, geek1011.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #291
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Aura 1, Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
Hi geek1011, I have a suggestion: could the overrides in the main yaml file be moved or included from a separate file, so when upgrading firmwares and patches all we need to do is to copy that override file across versions without touching anything else? That would be a great usability improvement.

I mean something like this in kobopatch.yaml:
Code:
overrides_file: overrides.yaml
overrides.yaml:
Code:
src/nickel.yaml:
  Patch 1: yes
  Patch 2: yes
src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  Patch 3: yes
  Patch 4: yes
Not sure if there's a lot of value to allow arbitrarily specifying a file name, you might as well just look for a specifically-named file such as overrides.yaml. You can keep the existing override mechanism so it doesn't break existing setups and additionally use this file.

What do you think?
lbschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #292
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
Hi geek1011, I have a suggestion: could the overrides in the main yaml file be moved or included from a separate file, so when upgrading firmwares and patches all we need to do is to copy that override file across versions without touching anything else? That would be a great usability improvement.

I mean something like this in kobopatch.yaml:
Code:
overrides_file: overrides.yaml
overrides.yaml:
Code:
src/nickel.yaml:
  Patch 1: yes
  Patch 2: yes
src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  Patch 3: yes
  Patch 4: yes
Not sure if there's a lot of value to allow arbitrarily specifying a file name, you might as well just look for a specifically-named file such as overrides.yaml. You can keep the existing override mechanism so it doesn't break existing setups and additionally use this file.

What do you think?
I decided to put it in kobopatch.yaml so people wouldn't blindly update. The main reason for this is you already need to install the firmware first, and funny things happen if you forget to. I've discussed the rest of the reasoning behind this in other posts as well.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #293
geek1011
Wizard

kobopatch v0.14.0 is out

kobopatch v0.14.0 mainly consists of a complete rewrite of the kobopatch patch file parsing. It is completely backwards-compatible.

This version will be included in patches v51 later tonight.

Main changes:
- Better error messages:
--- All error messages will include line numbers.
--- Length mismatches show the number of characters.
--- Patches will be applied in a consistent order to make errors easier to fix.
--- All instructions will add their name to error messages.
--- Error checking will be done in stages and will give an error as soon as possible during parsing.
--- Multiple patches in a PatchGroup will mention the other patch.
--- Kobopatch will check for tabs instead of spaces in patch files.
--- Fixed the bug where a whole bunch of hexadecimal gets show on-screen in some cases where a value replacement fails.
- You can now use more than one PatchGroup per patch.
- Checksums of patched files are now recorded in the log file.

Internal changes:
- I've gotten rid of a bunch of old cruft from the transition period.
- I've switched the builds from Travis to Drone (it's faster and more structured).
- I've slightly reduced binary sizes.
- kobopatch is now automatically tested with the patches during builds.
- The patch file logic is now nicely split up instead of being dumped into a big switch statement.
- To add new instructions, you now only need to add 3 lines of code (before you'd have needed to add around 15 scattered everywhere).
- The parsing is a lot more type-safe now.
- I've updated go-yaml to v3, which is what allowed me to do most of the improvements in this rewrite.

For those interested in the internal improvements, compare the instruction implementation(old, new), the validation implementation (old, new), and some of the parsing (old, new).

Error message examples:
old: error applying patch file 'src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml': could not find bytes
new: patch "Freedom to advanced fonts control": line 399: inst 8: ReplaceBytesNOP: could not find bytes

old: i16: replacement string must not be shorter in `Custom reading footer style
new: patch "Custom reading footer style": line 107: inst 16: ReplaceString: replacement string 2 chars too long

old: error applying patch file 'src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml': ReplaceInt: could not find specified bytes at offset ***a bunch of hex which fills your screen ***
new: patch "Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts": line 512: inst 22: ReplaceInt: could not find specified bytes at offset

old: i21: more than one instruction per bullet in patch `Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts` (you might be missing a -)
new: instruction 21: line 511: multiple types found in instruction, maybe you forgot a '-'

old: could not parse patch file: error parsing patch file: yaml: line 512: found character that cannot start any token
new: could not parse patch file: patch file contains tabs (it should be indented with spaces, not tabs): yaml: line 512

Last edited by geek1011; 07-17-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:25 AM   #294
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Hi, I think there is an omission in the file 'kobopatch.yaml'. I have tried the new version and it fails. I added 'patchFormat: kobopatch' and it works.

Is it correct?

Last edited by Carmelocotonto; 07-18-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #295
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelocotonto View Post
Hi, I think there is an omission in the file 'kobopatch.yaml'. I have tried the new version and it fails. I added 'patchFormat: kobopatch' and it works.

Is it correct?
Oops, I had a change locally which removed the need for it, but it seems I didn't merge it. I'll fix the patch zips now and add tests for it. https://cloud.drone.io/geek1011/kobo...patches/24/2/3

Last edited by geek1011; 07-19-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #296
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
The patcher isn't working at all for me. DOS box pops up for a flash and then is gone. Not sure what has changed with the most recent version.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #297
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
The patcher isn't working at all for me. DOS box pops up for a flash and then is gone. Not sure what has changed with the most recent version.
For the record, the issue was that Go 1.12 no longer supports Windows XP. For now, you can use a kobopatch v0.13.0 binary with the patches, or you can build it on an older release of Go. If enough people have this issue, I'll make a workaround for it (right now it's only because of this syscall).
Old 07-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #298
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
^^^ As pointed out to me, the Linux command works in MacOS. For anyone else who didn't know, just open the kobopatch.sh in Terminal and it runs perfectly.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #299
fotoroberto
fotoroberto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,
this is nice set of patches, I use it on my GLO HD along with Kobo Start Menu / KoReader / Plato, and everything seems fine.

Is it possible to include patch that will enable replacing Sleep and Power Off screen with picture of our choice?
My idea is to put some ownership info in there…

Thanks
fotoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #300
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoroberto View Post
Hi,
this is nice set of patches, I use it on my GLO HD along with Kobo Start Menu / KoReader / Plato, and everything seems fine.

Is it possible to include patch that will enable replacing Sleep and Power Off screen with picture of our choice?
My idea is to put some ownership info in there…

Thanks
You don’t need to patch for this anymorev

Plug your Kobo in to your computer, on the drive you have access to should be a .kobo folder in that folder make a new folder called screensaver. Whatever image you put in will be used when the device sleeps or powers off if you have the display cover option enabled. Note multiple images results in a random selection at the time of sleep or power off.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb