Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
ePub is shown as folder in Dropbox

All my ePub files in the Dropbox folder on my Mac is single files. But on the Dropbox website or via apps all the files have turned into folders.

That way there is no single file to use the 'open with' function. Does anyone know how to fix this?
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Are these ePubs from iTunes? I seem to remember that iTunes wraps ePubs in a folder, and make it look like a file using the package feature of Mac OS X.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

No, they are DRM free books, not from iTunes. What is strange is that some ePub files show up as single, others as folders. But in the DB folder on my machine they are all single ePub files. Can't get my head around this.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never had that issue and I use Dropbox with ePub's all the time. I access Dropbox on a Win 10 machine, a Win 7 machine, and several iDevices.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've never had that issue and I use Dropbox with ePub's all the time. I access Dropbox on a Win 10 machine, a Win 7 machine, and several iDevices.
Same here. All my ePubs are single files in Dropbox.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankEyes View Post
No, they are DRM free books, not from iTunes. What is strange is that some ePub files show up as single, others as folders. But in the DB folder on my machine they are all single ePub files. Can't get my head around this.
I suspect that the Finder on your Mac is lying to you, and that some of those .epub 'files' are in fact folders on your Mac too.

Take a look using Terminal.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
BlankEyes
Enthusiast

I don't know how to check using Terminal - how do I do that?

What I discovered is that the files that show as folders I can use the "Show package contents" and they are ePub version 1.

Those that show as single files lack the "Show package contents" option.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
BlankEyes
Enthusiast

I ended up redownloading all the mentioned books and now they are all fine. I have no idea what happened.

Oh well...all is good. Thanks for kind support
Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankEyes View Post
I don't know how to check using Terminal - how do I do that?

What I discovered is that the files that show as folders I can use the "Show package contents" and they are ePub version 1.

Those that show as single files lack the "Show package contents" option.
If you can 'Show Package Contents" then they are really folders.

I'm glad that re-downloading sorted things out.

Tags
dropbox, epub