Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
MisterSnrub
MisterSnrub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Times New Roman that displays well on Kindle?

My preferred font is Times New Roman. I had it on my Kindle Paperwhite 1 for the last few years, but recently had to do a factory restore, and now I can't find a version that displays on it properly. I've tried 5 varieties -- the one included with Windows, the 'Times Newer Roman' variant, and three kinds found on various font websites -- but they all appear weird in some way. They're thin, or the bottoms of letters don't line up, or they don't include common accented characters like é, or they display everything in italic even though there's a regular variant there and properly named. I really should have backed up my original copy.

I would be incredibly grateful if anyone could tip me off as to where a good Kindle-friendly variant is, or maybe tell me if I've done something wrong/differently to cause this.
MisterSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the Windows version of Times New Roaman but add hinting to it as Kindles need fonts with hinting to display properly at smaller sizes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a font partially designed for less than 100 dpi CRTs and LCD screens and partially for laser printers. Georgia works better on eink?

Also there are different MS releases of Times New Roman. Earlier ones lack characters but I think ALL have á é í ó ú à è ì ò ù ß ç etc.

I've never added a font to the system on the Kindle (permanently) or Kobo as I want to see what other users see, but I do use embedded fonts, which needs Kindle FW 3.4.3 or later. Earlier versions (KK2, DX, DXG etc) can only use fonts installed on the Kindle.

Either you've installed a broken version of Times New Roman or installed it wrong. I did "jailbreak" my DXG so as to have a sleep cover from the current book and briefly installed a system font "patch", which looked like Times New Roman.

I have the MS Core Fonts package on Linux (for compatibility) and it includes a Times New Roman which seems to work fine on a KK3 & PW3 as an embedded font in a test.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When the OP says the bottom letters don't line up, that's a sign of an unhinted font. Kindles work best with hinted fonts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSnrub View Post
I've tried 5 varieties -- the one included with Windows, the 'Times Newer Roman' variant, and three kinds found on various font websites -- but they all appear weird in some way.
Have you tried FreeSerif? It's my favorite substitute for Times New Roman.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
fonts