Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what was being attempted with the em, em em em, em em em em em { trying to set italic while em em, em em em em {
were trying to set normal.

An attempt to toggle nested em tags between italic and normal?
Yes it was...and totally unnecessary to go that far. I only use one of those lines in the css...plus any special divs or somesuch:

Code:
em    {font-style:italic}
em em {font-style:normal}

div.telepath    {font-style:italic}
div.telepath em {font-style:normal; color:blue}

Code:
<div class="telepath">
<p>I expect this question to <em>again</em> open up the em vs i argument - 
even though it has nothing to do with the point!</p>
<p>Another sentence he said telepathically.</p>
</div>
Quote:
I expect this question to again open up the em vs i argument - even though it has nothing to do with the point!

Another sentence he said telepathically.
The intent is to emphasize words that are already surrounded by italicized words - and, as we all know, <em> does NOT have to be just italics...it just means emphasized...and you can emphasize words or phrases in many different ways....like a different color, font size, or font-type...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #17
butterfly68za
butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Android Mobile (Moon Reader+, PocketBook), Kindle 3
I am also struggling to get Sigil to load my embedded font, I've gone through numerous forums but do not find my fault. I bet its something simple:

content.opf
Code:
<item id="stylesheet.css" href="Styles/stylesheet.css" media-type="text/css"/>
<item id="PCSB-Hebrew.otf" href="Fonts/PCSB-Hebrew.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
stylesheet.css
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "PCSB Hebrew";
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  src: url(../Fonts/PCSB-Hebrew.otf);
}

span.hebrew {
  font-family: "PCSB Hebrew";
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
}
file
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title>The Book</title>
  <link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

<body>
  <h1>The Book</h1>
  <p>The first word "<span class="hebrew">Hyfgt</span>" in the book...</p>
</body>
</html>
I just can not see the font when opening in a eReader.

Last edited by butterfly68za; 12-28-2022 at 03:04 PM.
butterfly68za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Your link href to your stylesheet is probably wrong unless your xhtml file is located inside the Styles folder. You can use Sigil to properly link the stylesheet. hrefs/urls are case sensitive.

To verify urls, either enable full paths for BookBrowser in Sigil Preferences (see https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...nce-mainUI.png ) or just hover over a file in BookBrowser to see the exact file path from epub root.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-28-2022 at 04:15 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #19
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
In addition to the obvious problem described above by KevinH, I suggest checking additionally:
a) run the EpubCheck plugin and check your Epub file
b) I see that you have only given Moon Reader as the reader. Are you sure you have enabled the option to use additional fonts in the Moon Reader options?

Perhaps the problem has little to do with Sigil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon-reader-hebrew.png
Views:	93
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	198647   Click image for larger version

Name:	moon-reader-settings.png
Views:	88
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	198648  
Attached Files
File Type: zip hebrew-epub.zip (29.0 KB, 88 views)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #20
butterfly68za
butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.butterfly68za knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Talking

I looked at your example and did the following to my book.

Created a new stylesheet, left the name and entries Sigil gave, copied the CSS from the old to the new file, and updated with this line in the file <head>

Code:
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
That is the only difference I can find between the two books. I had stylesheet.css in the root so I could link directly. Guess Sigil didn't like that?

I was using the Sigil built-viewer and Calibre Book Viewer. I hadn't yet copied to Moon Reader on the phone, did that now, and the fonts are showing.

Thank you both Kevin and Becky

Last edited by butterfly68za; 12-28-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No. Sigil will quite happily work with files in root or in arbitrary folders. It just requires that url links be relative and match the physical file paths.

If you had stylesheet.css in the root of the epub alongside your xhtml file then your link to your font files from the css is wrong because you can not legally proceed up one directory out of the root directory and back in, and also that would then be inconsistent with the manifest href for the stylesheet.css file from your content.opf.

All relative links must actually follow the physical folders and paths in the epub and match the layout as defined by the content.opf manifest.

Turning on full file paths in Sigil's BookBrowser will enable you to see actual epub root relative file paths so you can make proper relative links if you choose to do so manually but it is probably easier to use Sigil generate the correct links/hrefs/urls for you.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #22
butterfly68za

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If you had stylesheet.css in the root...
Going to leave it as it is, it's working... "Don't fix what is not broken"

I did discover that <body align=...> does not work in Moon Reader+, but <p align=... does work.

Again, thank you.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You'll find much more that doesn't "work" in Moon Reader. Its developers have no real interest in accurately rendering things as the content creator intended. They are more focused on users being able to override any and all publisher settings. To the point where an actual "Publisher View" doesn't really exist any more. There's nothing wrong with it, if that's what people like. But because of it, Moon Reader's probably not the best choice for accurately previewing your book's css.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #24
butterfly68za

Was not aware of this of Moon Reader+, I bought it a couple of years ago, was then highly recommended by many sites of the day. Maybe time to move on, do you have a preference for a reader on Android?
Old 12-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with it as a reading app. Lots of people swear by it. It's just not a very good indicator of how epubs will look on devices or other epub reading apps.

I don't read many epubs on Android anymore. When I do, I usually use the app associated with the bookstore where I bought it: Kobo or Google Play Books (or one of the library apps if I've borrowed it).

I used to swear by Mantano/Bookari until they broke and abandoned it.

Perhaps others will have better suggestions.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly68za View Post
Was not aware of this of Moon Reader+, I bought it a couple of years ago, was then highly recommended by many sites of the day. Maybe time to move on, do you have a preference for a reader on Android?
It is good for those who want it their way (AKA ignore most of the CSS)
It is not so good for those who want As Delivered (Use only the CSS)

I am not sure if any one make a viewer that the controls ONLY algebraic add to the CSS values (fudge them 1 hay or the other) and has a 'fast zero' button to reset any fudge settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:58 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My current preference for reading on Android is Pocketbook's app. It respects CSS as well as most renderers and it also offers TTS.

I gave up on Moon+ when I found that an epub with no stylesheet rendered almost identically on Moon+ as the original epub with it's simple stylesheet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:19 PM   #28
butterfly68za

I am liking PocketBook
Old 01-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #29
MicroDrie
Connoisseur
MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, Linux Mint, Tablet, and Telephone
Quote:
Going to leave it as it is, it's working... "Don't fix what is not broken"

I did discover that <body align=...> does not work in Moon Reader+, but <p align=... does work.

Again, thank you.

If you want to test which CSS commands your EPUB reader or application supports, you can use the enclosed EPUB. The CSS commands shown in red text are not supported.
Attached Files
File Type: epub ModenizrTests.epub (41.7 KB, 90 views)
MicroDrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
embed, font, image quality