Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
lala512
lala512 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Regarding PRS-600 and SD directories

Hello there, I am a potential buyer of the Sony-Reader PRS600 and would like to clarify something. I went today in a shop that sells the Reader and in their demo unit i placed in my SD card that has a lot of folder and subfolders (some with usefull and some with useless files). After a lot of time of loading the seller told me that the loading will last until the device reads ALL the files and that this happens because the Reader doesnt "read" directories but just the files. This means that if someone has a big collection of books its not possible to allocate and organize the books in files and folders which therefore means it will take ages to find a file which we dont know the name of the file and we just no the theme etc. And i was wondering if that could be solved through the "collections" utility the reader has. Is that possible if yes how i can do it and will my files need to be moved on the reader internal memory or could maybe categorized in "collections" and when i click on a file in a collections will that be automatically link to the sd file straight forward.

Thanks in advance!
lala512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
1) Loading for the first time takes longer, than for the second, as reader not only checks for file presence/traverses folders, but also initializes viewers, to parse title/author/other metadata
2) It still takes a while even for the second run, if you have a lot of files.
3) Collections don't speed things up, but help you organize books in virtual folders. Only one level is supported though (you can't have subcollections)
4) Existing solution for 505 (PRS+ project, also adds folder support and a number of other features) is disabling card scan with "copy to internal memory" option. This means you lose ability to either view books on SD card via "books by author/date/title" (only in Browse Folders) and open them directly from SD card.

I plan to port "Browse Folders" feature to 600 model in about a month.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
lala512
lala512 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
ok thanks , but i am a little bit confused with the solution you said PRS+ project. is this supported for PRS600 minus 'browse folder" capability or not supported at all?

Thanks in advance
lala512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the moment PRS+ supports only 505.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Hey Kartu, that sounds great. I almost cannot wait until "browse folders" is ported. Really great.

For the files on the card: if you don't change the content of the card or if you don't take the card out and reinsert into the reader, the reader shouldn't rescan the memory (neither external nor internal) at all. So once you have set up your books on card and the reader and have scanned it once, you should be fine. If you change content or reinsert a card, the reader is checking for changes in its database.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I plan to port "Browse Folders" feature to 600 model in about a month.
waiting for this!

Last edited by vietchovui; 06-07-2010 at 12:06 AM.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
asdfghjkl
asdfghjkl began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Why my SHDC memory Card (class 6) recognized by PRS600 but i can not see my ebooks on the ereader?
asdfghjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
Why my SHDC memory Card (class 6) recognized by PRS600 but i can not see my ebooks on the ereader?
Did you use letters other than latin?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
asdfghjkl

No, I use the same books. I can see them in the library, I can manage my books but in the ereader nothing/empty.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
asdfghjkl

My card is 8G integral ultima pro SDHC (class 6). I hope to be capable with Erader PRS600.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
the PRS600 does not support sorting by folders. adding un-needed folders will only slow the device down.

sorting is accomplished via the collections feature, which sorts by the series and tags sections of meta data. both should be accessible via either sony's reader software, or calibre.

as an example, the Hobbit could be placed within the LOTR series (as book 0) and also tagged with Fantasy, JRR Tolkien, etc. and the reader would have access to the book via all three of those categories. (the same file, it does not make multiple copies.)

the whole thing makes sense really, once you understand how it works.
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
My card is 8G integral ultima pro SDHC (class 6). I hope to be capable with Erader PRS600.
i seem to remember reading somewhere that the ultima pro cards have issues with the 600. wish i could help more there, but i'm really not sure.
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote