Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Angry WSJ subscription through Sony vs WSJ direct

I already have a subscription to the WSJ in digital format. It is $149 per year. In eager anticipation of getting the Daily edition I called WSJ customer care to figure out how to upgrade to the Sony Store edition. You can't. They are separate subscriptions. So when I get the Reader I have to cancel the Digital Edition from WSJ and get a new subscription from Sony.

My next call, when I get the Daily Edition, will be to Sony to see if I will still be able to get the WSJ both on the Reader and also at WSJ.com. If I don't get access to both through the Sony subscription, I might pass.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Well I just spent 20 minutes waiting to get through to Customer Support at Sony. The only answer I could get from the Central American support person I spoke with is that I will have WSJ content available through Sony. He couldn't answer my question if I will have full access to wsj.com web content through the web. I tried several times to clarify my question, but he really was just parroting some other person he had spoken with and didn't get it. I gave up.

If someone else figures this out please let me know. Also, it looks like the reader store is selling only monthly, not annual subscriptions.

Since I don't want to give up access to the WSJ web site, I have this sinking feeling that I might have to stay with the Calibre converted version of the WSJ.

From the press releases I had the impression that for an extra $5 per month I would get the Sony WSJ edition in addition to my online edition. Looks like that is not true.

Last edited by advocate2; 12-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Sony support has really gone downhill the past couple of months. I tried a customer chat session. I asked what I thought was a simple question. "When will the New York Timess be available in the Sony newspaper store?" When "Rex" got on the chat with me, his first response asked me if I could better identify the problem I was having. So I asked if there was a problem in understanding the question. When I didn't get a response, I asked if I could assume that I am chatting with someone whose native language was not English. To that I got a response of "yes, could assume."

So I ended that chat and sent Sony an e-mail asking the same question. I got an auto acknowledgment that my e-mail had been received. No answer yet, 36 hours later, except that I received a customer service satisfaction survey request. I filled it out with all zeros.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I was worried this might be the case as well.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

Well, my email response was quicker than rhadin's, but not very satisfactory:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry, but the issue you describe will require more extensive troubleshooting and communication than can be effectively handled via e-mail. Please contact our Digital Editions Technical Support at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions

For all other issues, contact Sony Customer Support at 877-263-2863 for further assistance.

NOTE: Customer Support is open:

* 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. (Eastern time), Monday - Friday
* 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Eastern time), Saturday and Sunday

If this information does not resolve your issue, please contact us at (866) 962-7669.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6EM
Brian

Question : Does a subscription to the Wall Street Journal through the Reader Store give the subscriber access to the WSJ.com digital edition as well?
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I canceled my WSJ.com subscription and am going with the Sony version. I find it much nicer than the recipe version created by Calibre. It's the closest thing to reading a newspaper that I've found yet. I much prefer it over the very busy (read cluttered) WSJ.com site. You don't need a 900 to subscribe. I have a 505 and think a touchscreen would work even better.

Also, there is a two week free trial for the 4 week subscription.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I enjoy having the access to the website as well,as often I send articles and simply may not always want to read from the reader.I had hoped there would be some way to combine both...perhaps if enough people pester this could be an option ?
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Well, my email response was quicker than rhadin's, but not very satisfactory:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry, but the issue you describe will require more extensive troubleshooting and communication than can be effectively handled via e-mail. Please contact our Digital Editions Technical Support at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions

For all other issues, contact Sony Customer Support at 877-263-2863 for further assistance.

NOTE: Customer Support is open:

* 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. (Eastern time), Monday - Friday
* 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Eastern time), Saturday and Sunday

If this information does not resolve your issue, please contact us at (866) 962-7669.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6EM
Brian

Question : Does a subscription to the Wall Street Journal through the Reader Store give the subscriber access to the WSJ.com digital edition as well?
I got the same email when I sent them an email telling them to fix the sort by date (it's not working). Why would I bog up phone lines when I'm just notifying them of a bug?

Anyway, I'm not surprised they don't know the answer to this. WSJ should though, since it's their content they are selling. My money would be on that, no, you don't get both.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Having just gotten my PRS-900 I was disappointed to see the WSJ price in the Sony store at 4 week max buy for $14! WSJ website shows $2.29 a week for print and $1.99 for on-line for an annual purchase.

I'm not going to pay $5 a month MORE for the electronic edition than I could get the physical paper for. That's absurd!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Having just gotten my PRS-900 I was disappointed to see the WSJ price in the Sony store at 4 week max buy for $14! WSJ website shows $2.29 a week for print and $1.99 for on-line for an annual purchase.

I'm not going to pay $5 a month MORE for the electronic edition than I could get the physical paper for. That's absurd!
Sometimes it's about value and convenience, not price. Heck, that's why high priced ebook readers are selling!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

The WSJ online subscription is closer to $149 a year, maybe even higher.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not according to https://order.wsj.com/sub/f3 . So is there a scam or did you just pay more than the current offer, direct from WSJ?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

Wow. I have been an online subscriber for many years. I just checked and they are charging me $149 a year!!

Look at the fine print:

This is a special offer made available for first time subscribers. Your credit card will be charged as follows for your annual payment: $103 for WSJ.com only; $119 for the print Journal only; $140 for WSJ.com + print Journal. Your subscription will be renewed automatically at the then-current rate. You will be notified of any rate changes in advance. Newspaper delivery is only available in the contiguous U.S. Sales tax may apply.

Last edited by advocate2; 01-28-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

Now that I have the 900 and the chance to compare the Calibre converted edition against the Sony edition of the WSJ, I don't find the Sony that much of an improvement that I am willing to pay more for the Sony and give up on my WSJ.com subscription
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard

I see the same complaint at Amazon over the Kindle edition. I went there just to see if we were being hosed by Sony. Was $9.99, now $14.99, lots of complaints posted. Makes me think we need to direct complaints directly to the WSJ. Curious price point because $10 feels about right to me, $15... not so much.