Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
educosta
educosta began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo-hd
which (kobo, probably) to buy for linux hacking?

Hi guys,

I've been lately willing to buy an e-ink reader to tinker with it. Then I found out about Kobo and their linux on an internal removable micro-sd card, which it's so nice.

I was just about to buy the latest Aura One second-hand (just because of it's screen size, which I prefer), until I found out their waterproofing method consist on laying some clear epoxy on the board, plus changing the internal micro-sd with a sandisk's counterpart memory ic.

Though on the pictures I could get to see, it seems these have
terminations beside the ic to interface it, this is just my guess, and probably would be a bit cumbersome for hacking, don't really know.

So I was just wondering, among the existing Kobos, which is the best I could get for hacking?

I feel inclined on the Aura HD, just because it's 7 inches, rather than the 6 most have. But would happily sacrifice screen size by another one with better performance.

Or otherwise, if there's somebody hacking the waterproof aura one, would also love to hear from them.

Thanks for any tips!
educosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Why do you want hack it? What do you want achieve?
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by educosta View Post
Hi guys,

I've been lately willing to buy an e-ink reader to tinker with it. Then I found out about Kobo and their linux on an internal removable micro-sd card, which it's so nice.

I was just about to buy the latest Aura One second-hand (just because of it's screen size, which I prefer), until I found out their waterproofing method consist on laying some clear epoxy on the board, plus changing the internal micro-sd with a sandisk's counterpart memory ic.

Though on the pictures I could get to see, it seems these have
terminations beside the ic to interface it, this is just my guess, and probably would be a bit cumbersome for hacking, don't really know.

So I was just wondering, among the existing Kobos, which is the best I could get for hacking?

I feel inclined on the Aura HD, just because it's 7 inches, rather than the 6 most have. But would happily sacrifice screen size by another one with better performance.

Or otherwise, if there's somebody hacking the waterproof aura one, would also love to hear from them.

Thanks for any tips!
The latest with a removable internal uSD card is the Kobo Clara. Take an image of the uSD card before you start hacking and you can always restore to factory. Otherwise, my choice for playing with was my Kobo Glo after I updated.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, linux