Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Ansl
Enthusiast
Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo H2O2v1
Which would you recommend: Clara HD or H2O2?

Hi everybody,

My local supplier dropped a discount bomb on the H2O 2 just as I had ordered the new Clara and now I'm second guessing.

I'm coming from a near-perfect Glo HD and an abysimal Aura 2013, so I am apprehensive about switching back to Kobo capacitive screens in any case. Still, as an insomniac, the comfort light PRO seems worth trying. I am attracted to both the light weight and rounded edges of the Clara, and (obviously) the waterproofing on the H20. Most important, however, is the quality of the screen and lighting. Is there much difference? (I tend to read at smallish font sizes and hold the device close.)

If anyone, especially those who have experience of both devices, could offer an opinion, I would be eternally grateful!
Ansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For me, I would go with the H2O2. I like the larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I have reading habits similar to yours, and own a Glo HD and the first version of the H2O (same resolution as the H2O2). I cannot recommend one over the other because I've never even seen the Clara, but what I can say is that the difference in resolution between 300ppi on a 6" screen and 265ppi on a 6.8" screen is unnoticeable to me. You might need to set a higher refresh rate on the H2O if you want your text to look crisp at all times, but that had barely any impact on the battery life of my H2O, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Also, besides the Comfort Light and the added storage there's not much difference between the Clara and the Glo HD, so if you still own one the upgrade might not be worth it -- at least with the H2O2 you get a bigger screen.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Ansl
Enthusiast
Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Yeah, I would not be so hesitant if the H202 had an IR screen like its predecessor. But from some pictures online it seems like that horrid visible capacitive grid might be back on the 2017 model and I really really disliked that on the classic Aura.

I already have the Glo HD set to refresh every pages to preserve sanity at the font settings I typically use, so I might be really picky. If no pixelation is visible from up close in ideal conditions though, that might not be such a problem.

Thanks for your input! At this point I'm kind of tempted to order both and see which one I like more...
Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The capacitive grid on the H202 is nowhere near as horrible as the old Aura. You have to look really close, in bright (ie,direct sunlight) to notice it at all. There is a bit of a reduction in contrast/brightness of the screen in natural light, (easy to see when comparing the H202 to the H20 or Aura 1.), but the touch screen compensates by being exceptionally responsive and precise (unlike the A1, whose touch screen accuracy can barely be called an approximation. On the A1, it can be a challenge the hit the right key on the on screen keyboard. On the H202, I can select text at time font size, and minimum line spacing, and in one try, get the selection to exactly the letter or decimal point I want.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansl View Post
Yeah, I would not be so hesitant if the H202 had an IR screen like its predecessor. But from some pictures online it seems like that horrid visible capacitive grid might be back on the 2017 model and I really really disliked that on the classic Aura.

I already have the Glo HD set to refresh every pages to preserve sanity at the font settings I typically use, so I might be really picky. If no pixelation is visible from up close in ideal conditions though, that might not be such a problem.

Thanks for your input! At this point I'm kind of tempted to order both and see which one I like more...
I understand, I have it set to refresh at 'every page' as well 😀 can't avoid it if you like small font sizes *and* want your font to look good. Glad to see I'm not the only one doing it!
I had no idea that the H2O2 had a capacitive screen. I was also scarred by the first Aura, but the newer models *do* look much better...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Ansl
Enthusiast

OK, I've officially been convinced to give the H2O2 a try. At least in-country returns should be relatively painless if the screen proves to be as much of a disappointment as some early comments seemed to suggest... I'll report back!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Hey let us know which one you pick. I have an H2O with battery problems and I'm tempted to either return it and get the Clara HD or buy the Clara for when I'm travelling and reading outside of home. I like the larger screen of the H2O but it's a bit large for when I'm not home.
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Ansl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
Hey let us know which one you pick. I have an H2O with battery problems and I'm tempted to either return it and get the Clara HD or buy the Clara for when I'm travelling and reading outside of home. I like the larger screen of the H2O but it's a bit large for when I'm not home.
I would like to have more of a preference! I'm going with the H2O2, but they're both nice enough readers to practically disappear when in the middle of a good book and should feel like an improvement over the Aura.

The Clara HD is more slippery and the plastic casing makes it feel almost toy-like, but if you want a tiny, portable device, few of the current selection are better. It's only 14 grams lighter than the Glo HD, but holding it in one hand for a long time, the difference is noticeable. Although the build quality is't exactly dizzying, the addition of a metal layer between the casing and the screen makes me hopeful that it traveling with it wouldn't be any more anxiety-inducing than with any other e-ink device.

That said, if you really came to like a wider screen, have large hands or like holding your reader with both hands, the H2O2 is much more comfortable - and of course the water-proofing is a nice bit of added security whether traveling or at home. I rarely leave anywhere without a bag of some sort, so carrying a bigger device is not as much of a problem as leaky water-bottles... At the same time, it feels a bit excessive: I'm apparently so habituated to 6-incher settings that the extra screen real estate on the H2O has so far mostly meant more book-like margins, rather than more text per page.

The screens and frontlights on both of my units are fine. Neither is blotchy, visibly gridded or particularly unresponsive. Neither is perfect. The Clara has more of a light bleed problem but it is also easier to temporarily resolve (by pressing on the affected spot lightly). I also prefer the Clara's honey-colored night light in most ambient lighting conditions to the H2O2's pinkish/orange light. Of course, the exact color of the light varies from unit to unit too much to trust one person's experience. And it seems that the H2O goes a bit dimmer, which is nice in (near) complete darkness.

I was lucky enough to get the version of the H2O2 on which KSM and other third-party programs can still be installed. But, if I'm honest, what really made the decision for me was finding a family member who much prefers the dimensions (ie max line length) and tone of the Clara's screen. So really, happiness could be found with either of them. I hope your next device has a decent battery, whichever it is!

Last edited by Ansl; 07-20-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar, punctuation, clarification
Old 08-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansl View Post
At the same time, it feels a bit excessive: I'm apparently so habituated to 6-incher settings that the extra screen real estate on the H2O has so far mostly meant more book-like margins, rather than more text per page.
Hey! I never answered your post!

I decided to keep my H2O, because of the waterproof feature. But to be honest, I still think I would prefer the Clara, for the exact reason I quoted from your post. I have been using a Kobo Aura for 5 years before my H2O, and getting used to the 6.8'' screen is difficult! Also, I just think that the Clara is easier to carry around and hold in general (I can't hold my H2O with one hand) but I like to read in the bath a lot, on the beach, near the pool, at the lake... It seems like I'm always around water when I use my reader, and I don't think I could deal with the no waterproof on the Clara HD. But if the Clara was waterproof, it's the one I would get. I just can't fall in love with the H2O's size.

To be continued...
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I love my H2O2! Better then my previous Aura. One thing to remember is switching it off when you stop reading, I was too lazy for that and the battery went down fast, the settings were disrupted, time was hours off etc. I suppose it registers lots of random screentouches in my bag.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I love my H2O2! Better then my previous Aura. One thing to remember is switching it off when you stop reading, I was too lazy for that and the battery went down fast, the settings were disrupted, time was hours off etc. I suppose it registers lots of random screentouches in my bag.
Put that thing in a case! If you get a nice sleepcover, it will sleep automatically when you close the cover, it won't get random screentouches in your bag, and it will have some protection from breakage. Eink screens are much more fragile than most phone or tablet screens.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote