Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For the techie strand I'm thinking maybe a wordplay around the Linotype machine - how about Digital Slugs.
Yeah, I really like that name as well! You are great at coming up with names!

Both of yours are my favorite!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(typesetting)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-18-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For the blog name how about: Babble On to Behistun

Added: You could have a third strand of occasional posts on the history of writing - Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Nordic Runes, Akkadian Cuneiform, etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-17-2018 at 11:46 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I remember using 'slugs' when setting cold type in High School.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For the blog name how about: Babble On to Behistun

Added: You could have a third strand of occasional posts on the history of writing - Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Nordic Runes, Akkadian Cuneiform, etc.
Sounds like something more up the alley of BabelMap's blog:

https://babelstone.blogspot.com/

... the only language information I typically follow is getting lost down the Wikipedia Wormhole when new languages get added to Unicode (or when I see them mentioned in changelogs). Last time I got lost was researching Kabyle (a Berber language spoken by ~5.5 million people):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabyle_language
Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Sounds like something more up the alley of BabelMap's blog:
Babelstone's blog was probably rattling around at the back of my mind when Babble on to Behistun popped into it.

Digital Slugs + Lingo Metrics = ???????

I'll let it percolate for a bit.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #21
Tex2002ans
Wizard

The finalized logo for Digital Slug has arrived!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital.Slug.Logo.png
Views:	316
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	166498

It's a mix of a book + circuit board. Physical book + Digital!

Let me know your thoughts!

Hopefully the blog will be starting up soon, and I can get to pumping out glorious, glorious content!

For example, here was in-depth discussion on pain points of current Spellcheck/Grammarcheck tools (still looking for more input/discussion):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310766

Or a recent technical post I wrote on "What are the Pros and Cons of EPUB vs. MOBI?":

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comme..._mobi/e493e9x/

Side Note: I surpassed 1000 posts on MobileRead. If we added up my total word count though, it would probably stretch from here to outside the universe.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-26-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's neat.

Hmm... it didn't really inspire much more than that one lonely thought.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 AM   #23
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Like the logo, it's clever.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #24
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
Like the logo, it's clever.
Thanks!

Something major with the blog may or may not have progressed today. (I was researching for ~a week, looks like it mostly went smooth. Just have to iron out the kinks.)

The past few weeks, I've also been answering questions over on Reddit in my usual in-depth style.

Like one person on Reddit asked about "O vs. 0", where a text might look like $25OO.OO instead of $2500.00:

https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/com..._vs_0/e8ibp3y/

Of course, I'm 99% sure it was OpenType "Old-Style Numerals".

So I'll most likely make write a blog post, and go in much more detail.

Lots of rough drafts and outlines! I haven't been slacking on this!

PS. One of the annoying things on Reddit is posts getting shadowed... probably assumed it was spam because of all my links to sources + examples! I wrote another great post on Fixed Format ebooks. Luckily, I still have access to my original post, but nobody else could see my genius!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-18-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
[...] but nobody else could see my genius!
That happens to me a lot!

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is the URL of your blog?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #27
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is the URL of your blog?
https://digital-slug.com/ seems to be reserved for the blog when it starts.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #28
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
https://digital-slug.com/ seems to be reserved for the blog when it starts.
Yes, that's the site. Good detective work.

I did PM HarryT with the URL soon after that post.

It's been almost a year since I purchased the domain, wanted to keep it under wraps until I finished the CSS + backend + everything else before "publicly announcing".

Planned on doing that within a month... then got carried away with big conversion jobs, new clients coming in, [...].

I definitely have to kick my butt into gear and whip the site into shape.

Side Note: I've still been doing massive amounts of research (and the usual in-depth posts on MobileRead... I've done 300 more in the last year!).

Some very interesting technical talks have happened within the last year:

ebookcraft 2019 + their other talks:
  • Building Ebooks that Last
    • I've already referenced this in a few posts. One of the best talks I've seen discussing the long-term maintenance needed for ebooks + why readers return books (typos are >50%, followed by bad/broken code).
    • Long story short: KISS.
  • Pagination in the Browser
    • Some of the current tools to split HTML into pages, and the newer CSS3 pagination stuff + the advantages/disadvantages to the different methods.
  • Accessibility is always good talks to listen to.

LibreOffice had a conference in 2019. There was a bunch of good talks there.
  • Online: Copy/Paste
    • Discussed the horrifying nature of copying/pasting rich text between browsers/OSes, and the completely inconsistent usage of Javascript and everything else that causes hell.
    • I assume a lot of this also hits Google Docs (and online Microsoft Office too), so you can see how incompatibilities sneak in when trading between them.

LibreOffice's QA Blog is always great to check on every month. They give a few more "human-readable" summaries discussing some of the bugfixes/upcoming changes.

One of the things I'm most excited to still research is my Does Tool Exist to Spellcheck/Grammarcheck by Category? topic. It's still tough to get actual technical information on grammarchecking... there's just so much marketing fluff out there that drowns out any sort of real information/comparisons on the topic.

Past month I've been cleaning up a Physics book in LaTeX for proper typesetting (and learned a hell of a lot in the process about Maths alignment, better ways to maintain code, cleaning up messes, etc.).

So yeah... plan on compiling a lot of the summaries and info and posting as blog posts.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-29-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
+ Starting new ebook blog soon (Digital Slug)
Uh, just sayin'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soon.png
Views:	241
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	174664  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Uh, just sayin'.
lol!!!

Well said.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote