Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's a partial list of some missing apps:
  • Blockbuster
  • Dropbox
  • Google - their entire app suite
  • Hulu Plus
  • Netflix
  • Nook
  • OverDrive Media Console
  • Pandora
  • Sony Reader
  • Zinio
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't know if anyone notice but alot of the apps on the Amazon store are outdated. Take ES File Explorer by EStrongs,Inc. (Dec 15, 2010) Version 1.5 It's been updated multiple times since then. Latest version: 1.6.0.7. It like this with many apps there.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know if anyone notice but alot of the apps on the Amazon store are outdated. Take ES File Explorer by EStrongs,Inc. (Dec 15, 2010) Version 1.5 It's been updated multiple times since then. Latest version: 1.6.0.7. It like this with many apps there.
Hadn't noticed. I use apps for entertainment purposes only, so it's no big deal for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I think Mantano will be my last purchase. I'll keep grabbing the freebies I'm interested in.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hadn't noticed. I use apps for entertainment purposes only, so it's no big deal for me.
Yeah alot of the apps, games are old versions. So sideloading is going to be a must on some of them. I suppose I can backup a free app on my phone and copy it over?

ES File Explorer lets you browse the folder structure of your device and move files around like say for books or music files. It could be Amazon will have something like it already on the Fire. I use it on my phone to move books from Dropbox to Mantano.
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #21
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
ES File Explorer is my favorite as well.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

My favorite app is Angry Birds Rio
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Recently there have been several articles about apps for the new Kindle Fire. These discussions indicate that the Fire will not take apps from the Marketplace and will be limited to the Amazon App store.

My impression is that the Apps in the Amazon store are severely lacking. Anyone else have that impression? Since there are several apps that I use regularly on my smartphone that I would want to have available on the Fire, I am seriously thinking about cancelling my Fire order. Anyone have further information on this subject?

cheers
The Kindle Fire is NOT a generic Android Platform. If you are expecting that, you will be sorely disappointed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I'm going to make a prediction that the Amazon App Store will explode the week they release the Fire or very shortly after. There is no reason developers wont jump on this especially if they already have an app coded for Android. This is not like WebOS where it is an whole new operating system.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Dropbox isn't there (just checked). I can understand your concern.
Well, Dropbox is a competitor to the Amazon Cloud, eh?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My favorite app is Angry Birds Rio
What I want to know is why don't we have Angry Monkeys Reykjavik?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if sideloading apk's is a snap
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #28
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
hmmm... probably 90% of the apps on my phone are from amazon's appstore. i expect them to have even more apps by mid november, and for the number to go up from there. i'm not worried...
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #29
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I'm going to make a prediction that the Amazon App Store will explode the week they release the Fire or very shortly after. There is no reason developers wont jump on this especially if they already have an app coded for Android. This is not like WebOS where it is an whole new operating system.
Not if you look at some of the complains app developers had with Amazon app store
https://shiftyjelly.wordpress.com/20...n-to-the-core/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Not if you look at some of the complains app developers had with Amazon app store
https://shiftyjelly.wordpress.com/20...n-to-the-core/
I can understand their frustration but they did give permission for it to be free.

My main complete is the DRM Amazon adds to the apps.
If are not logged into their App store on your device you can't use any of the apps because you get a message telling you to log in. This happened to me while my hubby was in bed and wanted to play Angry Birds. I had to go downstairs and find the password so he could play. The Next week I had it happen on my phone. So before you get on say a plane make sure you are logged in to the store or it'll be a long trip! The App store does log you out sometimes without you doing anything.

Tags
apps, kindle fire