Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
? about magazine

I can not found anywhere on the Barnes and Noble site to see if I can download a magazine onto my computer and then put it on my Literati. My wife has the nook color and downloads magazines directly. Just hoping I can purchase a few magazines from Barnes and Noble and sideload it onto my reader.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrenick View Post
I can not found anywhere on the Barnes and Noble site to see if I can download a magazine onto my computer and then put it on my Literati. My wife has the nook color and downloads magazines directly. Just hoping I can purchase a few magazines from Barnes and Noble and sideload it onto my reader.
If you install nook for PC, you can download those magazines that support it. Each magazine listing includes a section that reads "Read exclusively on these devices & apps". If Nook for PC is listed, you can download it and even subscribe. The download is an ePub file.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I thought all magazines for the Nook Color were in PDF formats...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
They're epubs. Just looked again to confirm.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They're epubs. Just looked again to confirm.
How do you check?
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
How do you check?
Connect the NOOKcolor to computer: B&N Downloads / Magazines

If rooted use a file explorer on the device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Quote:
The part that shows the original print magazine layout most likely is, though someone with a rooted device would have to confirm that, since it appears to be in a part of the filesystem that's inaccessible on stock devices.

But there is also an ePub component, which I assume is used for the "Article View". Nat Geo, which is NC-only, includes one and that ePub is readable anywhere.

Those that support Nook for PC, which is what I was talking about in my original post, are ePub. At least, the ones I subscribe to are.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

D'Oh! Don't have my cord here. I know I read in B&N's own notes, FAQs, somewhere, that they could read PDF magazines, and I've tested a few that work well. I guess that's why I thought they'd all be PDF. They don't give you Article View, but every other thing works fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru

The multiple formats makes it a little confusing. I'll know more once I finally get set up on the periodical publishing side. For some reason, both Amazon and B&N make it very difficult to publish subscription periodicals on their devices. We finally got Poets & Writers set up for the Kindle, an ongoing ordeal I can't relate very well without resorting to expletives, but haven't yet gotten set up with B&N.